Minecraft in 2017, Being a Fremen (of some sorts)

X3M

Well, since last week. I started playing the last update. Lets see how far I get this time.

I always choose the Dessert template. And reduce the number of sandstone by 15. It turns those pyramids in towers. No need to dig down. Simply dig forward.

Lucky me, the game lags less. In fact, I can have 16 chunks field of vision. But only when I am playing flatland. Still cool though, seeing the pyramid tower in the distance. Yet still needing to walk for a minute.

But here is the thing:
- Villagers are different
- Certain items cannot be obtained any more directly.

Where I usually traded books. This is impossible, unless I trade paper first. Or I have to upgrade a book with emeralds. This is not worthy the investment, since the return value for books themselves is much lower. Unless I have like "a lot" ready. And they, the librarian simply refuses after receiving like 100 or so?
No more book trading!

I have to stick with hay stacks now. Luckily, potatoes and carrots are valid items as well. Giving me a choice on which to trade or eat. Then there is even threads and zombie meat. Both can be traded as well. Wool cannot be traded any more, since they only want white wool. The villages have black wool for lampposts.

Storage is now hard to obtain. An ender chest always provided 75% more storage. From 36 to 63 slots. For an ender chest that you keep as a backpack, you need 8 obsidian and an eye of ender. Plus, for picking it up, a pickaxe with silk touch.

And this is where things get complicated. You cannot get an eye of ender any more. By trading with priests. First you need to trade a couple of times with a priest. Then you get an ender pearl.
To get this ender pearl turned into an eye of ender. I need blaze rods. So, time to go to the nether I guess.

But how? We need to light an nether portal. I can't get flints any more. Let alone flint and steel. Villagers wont provide me either. And gravel is nowhere to be found. Thus we need to do a trick to get to the nether.

First you need wood and obsidian. A bucket of lava is needed as well. Wood can be obtained by tree branches in chests. And grow them of course.

There are video's on youtube showing how to activate an nether portal. Simply construct one, then place the lave right next to it on the ground. Making a little dam to keep it flooding is needed of course. Then place the wood right above the lava. After a time, it will catch fire and light the portal.

When going into the nether, you need to pick a village to construct the portal. This is your forward base. Which can provide additional food. And also provide the resources for torches. Also de-construct a church or two. This provides cobblestone for building a wall around your nether portal in the nether. Just in case you spawn in the middle of ghasts and stuff.

I got lucky, I spawned right into a fortress. And after a while, found me some blazes. All I need to do now is return to the overworld. And get me that eye of ender. I need to travel to the next village. And please a priest there, enough. So that he will want to sell me an ender pearl. Once I do that, I have myself an ender chest. I already have the diamond pickaxe with silk touch. In total, it costed me about 11 km travelling. Could make a big swoop back to 0 x 0 and find the ender portal. If one exists in dessert templates. I guess, I need to check in creative mode. If there is none. I wont be needing mass ender pearls etc. Nor will I be able to fight the dragon. 1 blaze rod and one ender pearl is all I need. Then I will simply continue the journey like always. With my newly acquired backpack. Throwing away the rest of my obsidian.

The only next goal would be, getting a diamond armor set. Which would provide me protection against creepers. With only 8 diamonds, I wont get far though.