[Release] Dune 2000 Random Map Generator

shai

Hi again there, I see there's some discussion about the random map generators.

I'm sorry to say that, a few days or weeks after releasing the first preview version of my random map generator, I discontinued its further development. Things were actually going pretty well and I did not get stuck at some blind point, but I rather realized how much work, personal time and effort I would need to put into the project in order to make it good and usable. I just wonder whether devoting that much work would make me satisfied - i.e. it would be utilizable and used by enough people (nowadays there are still people actively making Dune2000 maps and campaigns, but it's not really many people, like something up to 10). The second reason is that I'm actively working person and work with computers during my everyday job, so I prefer doing something else than again programming in my free time.

Still, I wonder whether you found the preview version interesting and useful and experimented with it, or even used it for making any actual maps. You may experiment with the .ini file configuration, like modifying some absolute weights of different types of blocks in order to change the appearance of terrain it generates.

Since the preview version release I made some improvements, most importantly ability to undo whole area which you can generate with Shift + Num+, and ability to place blocks on rock and do "substractive" generation. I wanted to post another preview version once I make some more significant progress.

It's fine, you already made tons of stuff to us with the editor and all the options that the old editors couldn't even dream of have.

There is a question I want to ask you.
Could be any way to translate your editor?

If I am not mistaken with the .txt and .ini I can write "soldado" instead Trooper or whatever instead "Light Factory", but can I change "reinforcements" for whatever word I want? or that would require using whatever program you use to create the editor or something like that?

(this is more a personal curiosity; like you said in your post, not that many people use the editor to in deep to need a translation, but I was wondering if that can be done; however I doub I ever do it any day).

Anyway; thank you for ever trying an initial random map generator. Copy and paste some parts could do wonders to newcomers to create at least their maps partially.

Edited by Cm_blast

On 7/13/2019 at 2:22 PM, Cm_blast said:

you already made tons of stuff to us with the editor and all the options that the old editors couldn't even dream of have.

Heh, thanks. As a kid in 2000's I played Dune 2000 a lot (it was my first strategy game ever) and always dreamt of a mission editor for it where you could edit the buildings, units, events and other stuff. No one existed, and no one made one. Then, as adult in 2010's, I made one myself. And two more level editors for two DOS games of my childhood as well. Sweet.

There is a question I want to ask you.
Could be any way to translate your editor?

Well, technically it could be done, but I'm not going to put efforts into implementing this kind of feature. You know. But still thanks for the suggestion.

Anyway; thank you for ever trying an initial random map generator.

Well, if I get enough inspiration and some life energy, I could even continue this, rather for fun. There's a small chance it would happen.

1 hour ago, Klofkac said:

Heh, thanks. As a kid in 2000's I played Dune 2000 a lot (it was my first strategy game ever) and always dreamt of a mission editor for it where you could edit the buildings, units, events and other stuff. No one existed, and no one made one. Then, as adult in 2010's, I made one myself. And two more level editors for two DOS games of my childhood as well. Sweet.

On my case was Dune 2; similar direcction as you, dreamen to use editors. There are a few of them over the net, but they also use "letters" or are incomplete. The best it's the one on the Dune Legacy (still no terraign design map even on there) but with the limitations of the original game not much I could do.

I remember doing my early campaigns with the MVI editor; your's it's just too far ahead on how complete and easy it's to do.

(I still remember doing editions for Supaplex, which I lost =(; some Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3 maps and even RPG Makers, which it's not an editor for a game per se, but still); or Floedit; a wolfenstein 3D editor; I even did stickman things and a whole new maping for the 6 episodes (except like 2-3 maps, they were copy-paste but other enemy placement).

Well, technically it could be done, but I'm not going to put efforts into implementing this kind of feature. You know. But still thanks for the suggestion.

Not saying you to do it, by if some day, let's imagine 500 spanish modders raise from their graves (heh, Altered beast references in 2019) and want to start using your editor but most of them don't know english; I could do a translation.

This is what I mean; again, it's unlikely that will happen (or me bothering to do it); but wondering "if can be done"; maybe all can be done except menus "file - open map - multiple <window's error warning>, etc...". Just curious, that's all.

I don't know if you know a couple of RTS games called swarm rampage and swarm assault, it's about ants, spiders, scorpions, bees... shooting each other with machine guns, shurikens, grenades (xd)..., by editing the .txt I manually transalte the name of the units, and by renaming the files themselves "01-first fight.map" to "01-primera lucha.map" the game loaded the translation instead.
There isn't any purpose, the game doesn't ever require to know any language (even if you don't know how to read) to played, but I did it, because I am crazy enough to do stuff on games nobody care.

Well, if I get enough inspiration and some life energy, I could even continue this, rather for fun. There's a small chance it would happen.

Alright, just don't force yourself. I am happy what you already gave us.

Edited by Cm_blast

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...