[Release] Dune 2000 Random Map Generator

shai

Updated: v170407

• Heavily reduced the time it takes to save the map and mis file
  • Replaced the settings bellow with the following new settings:
    1. 'numberOfSandSpecialsToAdd', 'numberOfRockSpecialsToAdd', 'numberToAdd', 'numberOfSpiceSquares', numberOfDuneSquares', 'numberOfIslandSquares'
    2. 'sandSpecialFreq', 'rockSpecialFreq', 'rockFreq', 'spiceFreq', 'duneFreq', 'islandFreq'
    • These new settings are instead now a percentage. Ex. If 'rockFreq' is set to 0.2, then roughly 20% (0.2 * 100) of all blocks on the map will be a rock tile
  • All areas have been properly altered to prevent it from getting stuck due to a value that is too high
  • Improved the GUI
  • Fixed the AI in the mis files being incorrect
  • Partially fixed the placment of the dune edges
  • Altered how the openings in the cliff faces are added, they can now be varied in size
  • Sped up the placing of player spawns somewhat with 'autoSpaceSpawns' enabled, and the placement of spice blooms
  • After a map is completed, the time it took to make it is displayed
  • Prevented cliff faces and rock-to-sand edges from having two identical blocks right next to each other

The new version can be downloaded above in the first post of this thread, apologies it has been a while since the last post

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

This is an incredible god job. Tested & working under Windows 10. Thank you very much!. I am actually waiting for next release! I hope you can add the feature to use the new tilesets: BLOXSNOW, BLOXTD and BLOXTEM. Thanks again! #followingthis!

Edited by skuallx

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, i don't know if i will receive or not an answer here but i hope.

I'm trying to do (in the 2019 lmao) a new campaign and i've tried this tool because could help a lot to minimize time to develop a map.

I'm using Win7 Pro 64bit and still got stuck in the map prepared generation. I've tried to modify some settings in the INI file without results. Anyone knows and/or have suggestions about this?

I've also tried with "run as administrator".

Thanks everyone who can answer.

@mentat

56 minutes ago, VengeanceDM said:

I'm trying to do (in the 2019 lmao) a new campaign and i've tried this tool because could help a lot to minimize time to develop a map.

I will let you know that this year at least 4 campaigns has been released already, the very last version of the Klof's editor and even a couple of single missions using a new tileset has been release; of all this done during 2019 (at this point Fey and myself are creating a new campaign also); so don't worry for creating campaigns on 2019, people still play!

About your question; I can't really help you because I create my missions manually, but meanwhile you get help from the author of this post (or any other guy that know about your problem) you may try the map generator that Klofkac has been developing.

https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27886-implementing-new-feature-into-d2keditor-a-random-map-generator/?do=findComment&comment=396502

Is still in a very early state so don't expect too much, but if nobody can give you solutions this tool may help to create at least something for your map, even if you need to complete the rest manually by yourself.

Edited by Cm_blast

2 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

I will let you know that this year at least 4 campaigns has been released already, the very last version of the Klof's editor and even a couple of single missions using a new tileset has been release; of all this done during 2019 (at this point Fey and myself are creating a new campaign also); so don't worry for creating campaigns on 2019, people still play!

About your question; I can't really help you because I create my missions manually, but meanwhile you get help from the author of this post (or any other guy that know about your problem) you may try the map generator that Klofkac has been developing.

https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/27886-implementing-new-feature-into-d2keditor-a-random-map-generator/?do=findComment&comment=396502

Is still in a very early state so don't expect too much, but if nobody can give you solutions this tool may help to create at least something for your map, even if you need to complete the rest manually by yourself.

Many thanks @Cm_blast. I will give a try on that tool.

I'm very happy to know that, in the 2019, people still playing, develop and have fun with Dune 2000 (a game from 1998 😎).

Oh and thank you for the AMAZING campaign and works you did. Expecially, for a campaign creator like me, your AWESOME manual about AI configuration.

1 hour ago, VengeanceDM said:

Many thanks @Cm_blast. I will give a try on that tool.

I'm very happy to know that, in the 2019, people still playing, develop and have fun with Dune 2000 (a game from 1998 😎).

Oh and thank you for the AMAZING campaign and works you did. Expecially, for a campaign creator like me, your AWESOME manual about AI configuration.

I am more amazed to the people that spend their time on an editor to use on the game and to expand it; creating tools to edit the terrain, the tileset and even the music, or just modding the game itself to make it more compatible, like being able to play as any house apart from ATr-Hark-Ords and so on.

I've been doing campaigns and maps since 4 years ago and I am still doing things from time to time; I simply love this game, and it's interesting how new modders always find new ways to introduce new concepts.

You're welcome; I figured that a manual about the AI will help people; I (and others) spend literally hours to find all that stuff while playing, testing or simply observing the AI behaviour; we still don't know everything about the AI, but at least new moders can spend their time creating the content instead trying to understand why the AI do this or that; a win win situations for everybody.

Also as a reminder, on the editor you can use the keyboard to pick up some predefined tiles. At first takes some time to get used to it, but after enough maps I barely open the whole tileset set up to place anything on the map (there is only a couple of less used tiles that I don't know of memory the keys, but that's it).

Edited by Cm_blast

32 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

I am more amazed to the people that spend their time on an editor to use on the game and to expand it; creating tools to edit the terrain, the tileset and even the music, or just modding the game itself to make it more compatible, like being able to play as any house apart from ATr-Hark-Ords and so on.

I've been doing campaigns and maps since 4 years ago and I am still doing things from time to time; I simply love this game, and it's interesting how new modders always find new ways to introduce new concepts.

You're welcome; I figured that a manual about the AI will help people; I (and others) spend literally hours to find all that stuff while playing, testing or simply observing the AI behaviour; we still don't know everything about the AI, but at least new moders can spend their time creating the content instead trying to understand why the AI do this or that; a win win situations for everybody.

Also as a reminder, on the editor you can use the keyboard to pick up some predefined tiles. At first takes some time to get used to it, but after enough maps I barely open the whole tileset set up to place anything on the map (there is only a couple of less used tiles that I don't know of memory the keys, but that's it).

Totally agree with you @Cm_blast. I've played probabily all of your content (many times) and i loved it. I'm honest!

I'm trying to make my self better time to time and i love the game. Dune 2000 is "simple" and "complex" at the same time because, with all the opportunity and editor (mis/AI/story) can offer, it's never get old. Well, if we don't mention the pixelated graphics, of course 😉

By the way, i'm going to test the events and conditions i did today to see if them works. Cya, @Cm_blast

Just now, VengeanceDM said:

Totally agree with you. I've played probabily all of your content (many times) and i loved it. I'm honest!

I'm trying to make my self better time to time and i love the game. Dune 2000 is "simple" and "complex" at the same time because, with all the opportunity and editor (mis/AI/story) can offer, it's never get old. Well, if we don't mention the pixelated graphics, of course 😉

By the way, i'm going to test the events and conditions i did today to see if them works. Cya,

Hey, new mapper!

Cm's a mapping monster. And he's awesome. :D

Wassap fam? :) If you need help getting a certain function working in your map, let us know!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fey said:

Hey, new mapper!

Cm's a mapping monster. And he's awesome. :D

Wassap fam? :) If you need help getting a certain function working in your map, let us know!

Hey @Fey 😁

Actually i'm stuck in an error that i never had before. Something about coordinates or similar.

GetNextSquare (if i remember correctly). I'm pretty sure that you or @Cm_blast or someone else here already encountered it.

I borrowed a map from here to test some twisting events and conditions (heavy allies/stronger and mad AI/ecc...). Probabily is that the problem?

The map is "desaster" (desaster map link)

Probabily because it were made for a multiplayer and not for a campaign?

Spoiler

☝️ I made some "changes". I've read something in this forum, written by @Cm_blast about that error and, probabily, it happens when AI can't find a valid route to defend/attack the player. It sounds familiar?

7 minutes ago, VengeanceDM said:

GetNextSquare

Yep, the AI needs pretty straightforward paths to get to its targets. It can be a bit winding, but if it's an ultra-long maze, it might crash. Here's an example of winding, but not crashing:

Spoiler

blLaGzj.jpg

Bottom right to top left, along the blue path. :P

What kind of AI are you testing? I'm quite fond of optimizing the AI, so I'm quite curious. :)

Edited by Fey

2 minutes ago, Fey said:

What kind of AI are you testing? I'm quite fond of optimizing the AI, so I'm quite curious. :)

I'm trying to make the AI aggressive and organized. I gave them interval reinforcements (carryall and/or spaceports) but them keep being too much "soft" even at hard about moving all the army against me and my allies.

I'm ok with the timing and rush but not with the size of army used. I'm looking for an AI that can even bring me in serious problem even if i have a full base builded ready to spread out troops.

I don't know if i expressed correctly my thoughts (i'm italian so english is not my native language)

3 minutes ago, VengeanceDM said:

I'm trying to make the AI aggressive and organized. I gave them interval reinforcements (carryall and/or spaceports) but them keep being too much "soft" even at hard about moving all the army against me and my allies.

I'm ok with the timing and rush but not with the size of army used. I'm looking for an AI that can even bring me in serious problem even if i have a full base builded ready to spread out troops.

I don't know if i expressed correctly my thoughts (i'm italian so english is not my native language)

It sounds like you need to boost the AttackBuildingStrength. Press F10 while in the map and mission editor to bring up the mission settings, then check out the sidebar on the right:

Spoiler

uobYp34.png

The AttackBuildingStrength seems to be a percentage of total available units the AI will use to attack. Protect = protect specific units, like Harvesters, and defend = base defense. You can also change the unit build rate and emergency build rate to make the AI train units faster. The emergency build rate ignores CashStash (the AI will spend whatever reserve you allow it to keep) and is enabled when it realizes an enemy is in its territory.

10 minutes ago, Fey said:

It sounds like you need to boost the AttackBuildingStrength. Press F10 while in the map and mission editor to bring up the mission settings, then check out the sidebar on the right:

The AttackBuildingStrength seems to be a percentage of total available units the AI will use to attack. Protect = protect specific units, like Harvesters, and defend = base defense. You can also change the unit build rate and emergency build rate to make the AI train units faster. The emergency build rate ignores CashStash (the AI will spend whatever reserve you allow it to keep) and is enabled when it realizes an enemy is in its territory.

I did this:

Screen

Unitbuildrate 1400 (probabily this is the 25 ticks formula, right?)

Edited by VengeanceDM

8 minutes ago, VengeanceDM said:

I did this:

Screen

Unitbuildrate 1400 (probabily this is the 25 ticks formula, right?)

That's correct. So that means the AI will build one new unit (could be infantry, could be a vehicle) every 56 seconds, unless an enemy is attacking it, in which case it will spam units as well as it can. You can change what specific units the AI uses too, if you want. And it can be good to make them use more infantry since they kinda stop infantry production altogether just to make sure the ratios are even. That's how the AI works.

375 = 15 seconds, an AI can perfectly sustain its economy with very few Refineries and Harvesters even with a buildrate that low.

Let me guess: The AttackBuildingStrength was 20 before you tweaked it? :P I think the default AI has 20, I don't remember. Prepare for some really nasty attacks with an ABS of 75!

Speaking of which, make sure you set their Carryall drops so the units are "free." If set to none, they sit there on guard mode, and if hunt, they immediately attack the enemy. Units given through Starport deliveries and unit spawns are ALWAYS free, no matter what! And you can make the AI's starting units be free to be used in attack, protection or defense by setting "FreePercentage" (just above EmergencyBuildRate) to 100.

Edited by Fey

1 minute ago, Fey said:

Let me guess: The AttackBuildingStrength was 20 before you tweaked it? :P I think the default AI has 20, I don't remember. Prepare for some really nasty attacks with an ABS of 75!

Nope 😋 all of my enemies, in that map, are at 75 before you told me that and still not satisfy me 🤗

The "FreePercentage" is something i will test because mine are at zero

36 minutes ago, VengeanceDM said:

Nope 😋 all of my enemies, in that map, are at 75 before you told me that and still not satisfy me 🤗

The "FreePercentage" is something i will test because mine are at zero

Hmm. Well, in that case I suggest bumping the heck out of the BuildRate! And using a unit spawn event. Starting units can help bump their initial attacks up quite a lot. There's also the question of allocation indexes.

Allocation indexes are the faction / color that the AI has. If you have three AIs set to allocation index 0, they will all appear as Atreides in-game. Then you can have THREE AIs controlling a single faction, each with their own build queues and unit combinations, while they appear to be the same faction in-game.

If you want an AI or two to be really strong, here's a good suggestion with allocation indexes: Set the AIs to have complementary attacks and use complementary unit combinations. What do I mean by this? Well, for instance, say you have two AIs. You can do these attack times:

7500 / 12000 first attack building delay
9000 / 9000 time between building attacks

This will make the AI attack at 5 minutes, then 8 minutes, for their first attacks. Then, because of the subsequent timers, they'll ALTERNATE attacks. The first AI goes at 5 minutes, then 11, then 17, and so on... and the second goes at 8, 14, 20, etc. And because they're two different AIs, the attacks may come every 3 minutes, but the AIs will build up for six whole minutes before attacking!

But wait, there's more!

You can also make the AIs use specific unit combinations to further increase their strength. Maybe one AI prefers more Missile Tanks, Quads, and Troopers, and the other prefers more Siege Tanks, Trikes, and Light Infantry. Then the player must deal with each combination accordingly! All you gotta do is tweak the UnitBuildRatios.

It's very difficult to make a single AI challenging, but if you want an example, I suggest checking out S15. Only one enemy AI, and the player even has a friendly ally, but the enemy still has some pretty nasty attacks - not even counting the trouble the megaturrets in their base are when YOU need to attack. :D

29 minutes ago, VengeanceDM said:

@Fey tell me what you think about my "numbers"

I read somewhere here, that, the last part, must be setted in that way to be proficient.

Pretty sure in the @Cm_blast's events manual 😁

Hey, Cm and I collaborated on the manual. :P (edit: wait, there's an events manual? I thought we had Feda's tutorials for that, I thought you were talking about the AI manual XD my bad)

Make sure you have MoraleAttackBuilding set to 100, or the AI may arbitrarily retreat and idle.

Are those commas in the "weight" categories? I think that would cause an error...

1800 is a good CashStash. The AI will work properly even with one Refinery. :)

You don't need any entries in the defense area section if they're not enabled.

Also note that some players prefer not to use Carryalls at all since they can slow down your economy. If you find your AI would benefit from not using Carryalls (like if the map is very flat and the Harvesters have no problem getting around), I recommend setting CarryallsPerRefinery to 0.

Edited by Fey

5 minutes ago, VengeanceDM said:

Thanks for your suggestions, i will do a test right now. About "commas" i left them default so i don't know why them are there

Cool. I can't wait to hear how it goes! :)

By the way, I'm on the Discord too. Ya know, if that's more convenient.

4 hours ago, VengeanceDM said:

Totally agree with you @Cm_blast. I've played probabily all of your content (many times) and i loved it. I'm honest!

Thanks about that. I'm glad to find people enjoying the work I have done.

4 hours ago, VengeanceDM said:

I don't mind the graphics, I like pixelated or 2d games; you can ever see it on my user imagen; the Imperial Heavy Factory producing the Dune 2 versions of the combat, missile and siege tanks.

There were lots of talking between you both; as you saw (and Fey tells you), the nextgen error have several reasons to happen; I think even too many buildings (walls also count) may trigger that error.

Fey already gave you some directives; but for what I see you have a time between attacks of 5000, even if you decrease the unit build rate to make the AI to build faster, that's only 3,3 minutes in the game, the AI never will be able to group a "kill me even at a full base".

Fey already gave you some directions like the carryalls being at free or simply just deliveries. 1 delivery every 4000-8000% ticks will make the AI attacks strong even if you  bewteen attacks it's low.

You could use set a starport delivery to deliver a few units from the beggining, and later, from 15.000 ticks you add a second delivery, and a third one on 30.000 by that time the player should have a big enough base (or most of the buildings out) so you increase the AI attack via script.

There are other ways manipullating the AI, just be carefull to not give them too much :P.

2 hours ago, VengeanceDM said:

What about this section? You even tried what's the behaviour of AI about this @Fey?

That doesn't work at all. I've done testing enough in different situations, including the AI attacking another AI.

If you have any more doubts you may want to start a new post just to avoid scripting/mapping questions related into a "map generator" post.

Would be interesting to be able to add custom things also, but I don't know if he ever will finish the proyect.

Klofkack it's also doing a random map generator, so you can ask him as well if you want.

Edited by Cm_blast
  • Like 1