Dune 2000 Random Map Generator - Suggestions?

shai

For a few years now, I have been interested in making a random map generator for Dune 2000, and so finally, earlier in February I went and did just that. Right now, it only supports using tiles specific to the BLOXBGBS tileset, but it can put down everything that is absolutely needed for a map to work, and can make them any size that Dune 2000 supports. The only thing it's missing though, are sand cliffs, I am still working on a decent way to generate those, because they are fairly crucial to a map as well. That said, do you have any suggestions on how to make it better in any way? Something that would make more logical maps? Below are some maps made with varying settings, and a link to download them. There are some things I know I need to do already, such as making the sand dunes and rock-to-sand borders appear a bit less blocky and straight, but that is simple work. And with that, here are the examples: 

FUPanZz.png

myBpS6c.png

HOd9JhH.jpg

iwN17v3.jpg

oKVf6BU.jpg

Maps.zip

12 hours ago, shai said:

For a few years now, I have been interested in making a random map generator for Dune 2000, and so finally, earlier in February I went and did just that. Right now, it only supports using tiles specific to the BLOXBGBS tileset, but it can put down everything that is absolutely needed for a map to work, and can make them any size that Dune 2000 supports. The only thing it's missing though, are sand cliffs, I am still working on a decent way to generate those, because they are fairly crucial to a map as well. That said, do you have any suggestions on how to make it better in any way? Something that would make more logical maps? Below are some maps made with varying settings, and a link to download them. There are some things I know I need to do already, such as making the sand dunes and rock-to-sand borders appear a bit less blocky and straight, but that is simple work. And with that, here are the examples: 

Those maps are really good. Begginners (and expertes) can have a good start to create their own maps (and some could be easy enough to use as a campaign type of map).
With the exception of the second map (there is a corner tile wrong) I don't see anything wrong. 

My only suggestion, something like the imagen:

floor.PNG

Your random generator do like the left part, but maybe something like "if the tiles in a horizontal/vertical direction > 4, then use this combination of two 2x2 tiles", so looks less "squared" like the right part.

5 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

Those maps are really good. Begginners (and expertes) can have a good start to create their own maps (and some could be easy enough to use as a campaign type of map).
With the exception of the second map (there is a corner tile wrong) I don't see anything wrong. 

My only suggestion, something like the imagen:

floor.PNG

Your random generator do like the left part, but maybe something like "if the tiles in a horizontal/vertical direction > 4, then use this combination of two 2x2 tiles", so looks less "squared" like the right part.

Thank you, and yes, from time to time there is an occasional tile error like that, but it usually is just a single mistake in the entire map when it happens. And doing that as you suggest at the end would be an easy fix, but I will look at some other ways to do it as well. 

5 hours ago, Nyerguds said:

Ahh, pure sand-to-sand. Right.

Does D2K actually have pure rock cliffs?

Nope, sadly not, but I'm sure someone has made a tileset with them at some point. 

• 2 weeks later...