How do I make maps from an image?

Nate J.

I have several good ideas for maps (From the Milwaukee Road's Raymond WA brach to the JR Yamanote Line), but feel overwhelmed when trying to create such a specific and detailed area from scratch.

I've heard of people creating maps from an image using .pcx format, but haven't yet found a clear, concise guide to doing it, is there one available somewhere?

There are (or were) some discussions years ago. You might try digging into the archives here to find them. From what I recall, the image produces a naked height map that then needs decoration, rivers, borders, econ areas (with industry settings) etc etc. I know more about the etceteras than the PCX conversion.

I'll do that.

Being a fellow Washingtonian, most of my map ideas are centered in the state.

My chief ideas are 1. The Chehalis Western Railroad (Would make a nice logging scenario), 2. The Milwaukee Road's Raymond branch (From Centralia to Raymond), 3. The Cowlitz Chehalis and Cascade Railroad (Typical steam era shortline, chief products would be logs and farm products).

I would also like to see a Japanese Metra map based in the greater Tokyo area (Large enough to represent the Tokaido, Yamanote, and Shinkansen lines in that area).