Dune Legacy 0.96.4

bluehappybyte

After quite a longish development cycle and many new, interesting features being implemented the next version of Dune Legacy is ready for download.

Main changes:

• New AI Smart Bot and Quant Bot
  • Port to SDL 2
  • Use hardware acceleration for drawing
  • HD graphics: Use mask overlays to generate high-res graphics out of the low-res ones of the original game
  • Maximum number of units per house (either map dependent or as a new game option “override maximum number of units”)
  • Use a smaller logical resolution for high resolution displays, e.g. 960x540 for 1920x1080

Further changes:

• Move to fix-point math for game logic as floating-point operations may differ between platforms and compilers
  • Units entering refineries or repair yards are now moving onto the structure tile before disappearing
  • ADL music playback replaced: Now combines ScummVM AdlibDriver with Woody OPL chip emulation code from adplug
  • Tutorial hints are shown in the campaign to guide the user
  • New key bindings: Cycle through construction yards with ‘H’ and factories with ‘F’; capture buildings with ‘C’
  • Improve performance of Fog of War
  • Units can now be instructed to find the next repair yard on their own
  • Save game speed, scroll speed and sound volume as game settings
  • In campaign mode, the map choice screen remembers the region of a failed mission (the user has to select a different region)
  • New game option “Manual Carryall Drops”
  • Mentat’s eyes are following the cursor
  • Clicking on mentat’s eyes makes him blink and clicking on mentat’s mouth makes him open it
  • Modding: Make it possible to disable a unit or structure
  • Save screenshots as PNG
  • 64-bit builds for Windows
  • Store complete map in save games (and replays) of single player custom games
  • 18 new maps by heinrich arkonnen
  • 4 new maps by Kuffar
  • Bugfix (Bug #32): Repaired units getting removed from control group (Reported by Chan Kun Wa)
  • Bugfix (Bug #36): AI non-hostile and inactive (Reported by Chan Kun Wa)
  • Bugfix (Bug #40): Bullets from gun turrets hit own building, e.g. other turrets (Reported by Dream Worker)
  • Bugfix (Bug #50): Changing the player’s name while playing a mission makes starting the next mission or restarting the current mission crash
  • Bugfix (Bug #53): SFX mismatch when playing Harkonnen
  • Bugfix (Bug #62): Worms spawn under rock (Reported by heinrich arkonnen)
  • Bugfix (Bug #67): Saving a game under Windows with (for filenames) illegal characters results in no save at all (Reported by vangrunz)
  • Bugfix (Bug #70): Changing the player name makes replays crash
  • Bugfix (Bug #71): Ornithopter animation is too fast (Thanks to Kartones for the patch)
  • Bugfix (Bug #72): Texture sizes were too big for older hardware; now textures are smaller than 2048x2048 (Reported by gdm85)
  • Bugfix (Bug #73): Shift the level of the voc files so that the last sample is 128 (Reported by Vortaka)
  • Bugfix (Bug 3610246): Mentat help used wrong houses (Reported by kuffar)

Get it from the Dune Legacy Website and don't hesitate to report bugs you find.

Edited by bluehappybyte
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11.1.2017 at 1:24 PM, MrFlibble said:

Nice! Does it support running the demo version data?

The (non-playable) demo version does only contain a subset of the graphics, e.g. IIRC it does not contain the graphics used when selecting a new building or unit to build. Thus Dune Legacy would need quite some replacement graphics. Scenarios would also be missing. There is also the demo from the Kyrandia CD which contains nearly all data. Do you know if there's a website to download this demo officially?

On 18.1.2017 at 9:33 PM, Iran said:

Any chance multiplayer support can be added? CnCNet Online support would be cool too.

Dune Legacy does contain a multiplayer mode (LAN or Online) and even a online matchmaking service. Unfortunately, for online games you currently need to enable port forwarding in your router.

15 hours ago, bluehappybyte said:

Dune Legacy does contain a multiplayer mode (LAN or Online) and even a online matchmaking service. Unfortunately, for online games you currently need to enable port forwarding in your router.

That's pretty cool, never tried the game out yet and didn't knew that. Does it use UDP or TCP?

Edited by FunkyFr3sh

On 16.02.2017 at 1:43 AM, bluehappybyte said:

The (non-playable) demo version does only contain a subset of the graphics, e.g. IIRC it does not contain the graphics used when selecting a new building or unit to build. Thus Dune Legacy would need quite some replacement graphics. Scenarios would also be missing. There is also the demo from the Kyrandia CD which contains nearly all data. Do you know if there's a website to download this demo officially?

I don't think the Kyrandia CD demo was ever distributed by any means other than physical releases of other Westwood games.

I haven't checked out Dune Legacy in a while, doesn't it support its own sidebar style interface? That would circumvent the problem with missing interface graphics in the demo. As for scenarios, I did not suggest anything further than playing the demo scenario as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Only thing that ever appeared on the old WW FTP was the self-playing demo, yea. But I don't see any issue with sharing demos; they're generally considered shareware, no?

Edited by Nyerguds

• 4 months later...

Epic job guys.. I'm utterly blown away by all the multiplayer and skirmish map options.. large map 6 player matches with the 3 extra factions.. umm YES PLEASE!!!

I'm probably missing something obvious but I can't seem to turn on the new HD graphics?.. no matter what select in the scaler settings things just look like the original pixels stretched. Looks the same as my older version of Legacy too.

EDIT: I now see that the HD scaling activated when I used 2x or 3x Zoom however it seems to switch off at 1x Zoom (the mode I normally play on as 1920x1080 already has a separate 2x zoom) which explains why I saw no difference. Bug or deliberate? Meh I'll go post this in your sourceforge forum.

Its been a few years since I last tried Legacy so I love what you guys have done with adding Super Dune 2 Classic and improving/fixing the briefings. Any plans to add support for Dune 2 eXtended too? Being able to play original Dune 2, Super Dune 2 Classic & Dune 2 eXtended all in one game with HD graphics and C&C style controls is the only thing now that Dune Dynasty still has over Dune Legacy. Legacy is so much better and polished than Dynasty so it would be awesome if you guys added eXtended too. The ultimate all in one Dune 2 experience. EDIT: Might go post this question on your sf forum too lol.

Edited by Blake00