New Dune movie is in development

Mr.Cs

Greetings,

I recently read on various sites, that a new Dune movie is in development.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/787995-legendary-dune-movie

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00102957.html

and in Hungarian:
http://sci-fi.mandiner.hu/cikk/20161122_uj_dune_film_johet_megvette_a_jogokat_a_legendary

What do you think? Will be an another film adaptation in the future?

I'm not sure what another Dune film could offer over the movie+miniseries. Jamming the book into 1.5 hours is hard.

TV show maybe? 6-12 1 hour episodes per book?

I think these deals are more about securing IP, and they may not have to do anything with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So far Legendary bought the rights, and there's talk of possible Denis Villeneuve being considered for directing.

If they take Denis Villeneuve, Id think they're leaning towards Movie, because that's all he's ever done. At this point there is very little to go on, seems like they're in Pre-Production if anything at all. From the few movies I've seen from Villeneuve he's definitely competent. I guess we could expect a very adult Dune. I've only seen Prisoners and Enemy, their weren't your typical Hollywood flick. Guess I'll get a better idea when I see Arrival and the Blade Runner 2047 (reluctantly, don't get me started on Blade Runner, its a whole other topic), those movies are more the big blockbuster type.

ps. - who knows we might get a rebirth in video games, as long as it's not a movie tie in piece of crap.

Edited by soapdx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Arnoldo_Fayne @Arnoldo_Fayne Is it going to be split up into 3 parts like the LoTR series? Possibly a 4th film being a prequel based on PoD?

Brian Herbert @DuneAuthor 2h2 hours ago @Arnoldo_Fayne Legendary has not announced which of 19 books will be filmed first. I like your observation about size of material, + PoD.

On 12/29/2016 at 10:05 PM, soapdx said:

So far Legendary bought the rights, and there's talk of possible Denis Villeneuve being considered for directing.

If they take Denis Villeneuve, Id think they're leaning towards Movie, because that's all he's ever done. At this point there is very little to go on, seems like they're in Pre-Production if anything at all. From the few movies I've seen from Villeneuve he's definitely competent. I guess we could expect a very adult Dune. I've only seen Prisoners and Enemy, their weren't your typical Hollywood flick. Guess I'll get a better idea when I see Arrival and the Blade Runner 2047 (reluctantly, don't get me started on Blade Runner, its a whole other topic), those movies are more the big blockbuster type.

ps. - who knows we might get a rebirth in video games, as long as it's not a movie tie in piece of crap.

Video game?  I'm hoping for a killer soundtrack, comfortably  scored by Pink Floyd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wellllll that's odd.

This is the first time I hear or seen someone sign another authors book... would I get a Dune book signed by Mark Hamil ? Just doesn't feel right.

Also - she's selling this merchandise as if it were hers, I'm guessing it's legal if your a store or have a shop. Don't know just feels strange. She might be cute with pink hair, but this clip made me cringe.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow I would be amazed if this actually takes off. The mini series were probably the best screen rendition of Dune but if I recall they were a relative commercial flop. I can imagine studios being cautious with it. Or even worse playing up the young Paul and making it a YA movie. Oh god. 

I don't think the miniseries were a flop. I remember they had the highest viewer rate on that channel (scifi) at that point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert's_Dune

A 2003 sequel miniseries called Frank Herbert's Children of Dune continued the story, adapting the second and third novels in the series (1969's Dune Messiah and its 1976 sequel Children of Dune). As of 2004, both miniseries were two of the three highest-rated programs ever to be broadcast on the Sci Fi Channel.[2]

Frank Herbert's Dune won two Emmy Awards in 2001 for cinematography and visual effects in a miniseries/movie, as well as being nominated for a third Emmy for sound editing. The series was also praised by several critics, including Kim Newman.[3]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2017 at 8:16 PM, arnoldo said:

Arnoldo_Fayne @Arnoldo_Fayne Is it going to be split up into 3 parts like the LoTR series? Possibly a 4th film being a prequel based on PoD?

If they do the split up I feel the the audience for a modern era would be more receptive. Still, though, there will be some members who complain they don't know the backstory but I feel the general majority will appreciate the opportunity to have it split up to catch them up more easily.

The only negative concerns I would have is if the people who are viewing the movie and watched the 80's and later 2000's version will view the movie was just a simple reboot without much future focus.

But, either way, I am excited to see this be developed and produced. :)

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Could this be early concept art for the upcoming Dune movie? Could it be for the Ornithopter? Apparently it was found in the portfolio profile of one of the concept artists working on the movie, Kamen Anev. Someone has mentioned that it's a couple of years old though:

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1088827732031623169

On 2/16/2019 at 7:37 AM, Zocom7 said:

11/20/2020 is the official release date for the Dune movie reboot folks, and that's about a month before Avatar 2 is released.

It's gonna be a sci-fi battle during the Holiday 2020 season.

They later announced that Avatar 2 will be pushed back to December 2021.

Dune is pushed back a month to December 2020.

Edited by Houseplant
Forgot about a piece of information.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 8:09 AM, X3M said:

So.... any progress on this?

Because South Park suddenly made an episode about spice...
Seems their opinion about it is, shit.

Watch on your own risk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FxlgEAFZPM

Don't worry about South Park they just playin. Mad Magazine spoofed Dune first. Instead of the spice it was the booze, instead of your eyes glowing blue they're bloodshot red, lol.

The progress being made on the new Dune movie looks promising. The cast and crew seem confidant. They're so confident that apparently there's already a sequel in development lol. There's also a TV show tie in to the movie, and it;s about the Bene Gesserit.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/dune-2020-explained-plot-cast-tv-spinoff/

• 2 months later...

Official logo is revealed, and I would like this forum to use it:

dune-movie-first-look-trailer-1268422.we

Also the first preview look of Paul Atriedes:

dune-timothee-solo-lede.jpg

Just to note Dune's release to theaters is still set for Dec. 18, 2020.

Edited by Zocom7