TTD?

X3M

Is the terminal only about the railroad tycoons? Or is there some room for Transport Tycoon, by which it all started?

I am checking (testing the crap out of it) the TTD for the cellphone right now. And I like to share my findings.

I don't think they are much interested.

But perhaps they can hint me on how to design railroad tracks that have multiple trains riding on them. While the stations are doomed to be 2 (loading docks) or 1 (UNloading dock). I can't expand the unloading dock in any direction. Not only due to houses, but also due to the last misshaped terrain and some roads that are needed for the 300 trucks that get pass by every 3 minutes or so.I got several places that allows for 3 trains to wait. I got 6 riding.

There isn't much room any more to change things. And it is the only railroad in the whole map. The town started with 77 people, and grew to over 30.000. (Talking about inbreeding)

Something like this:

http://users.skynet.be/klaasdc/openttd/screen2.png

But then on a 64x64 map :D

Now, why only 64x64 you might ask? Well, the 512 x 512, requires map reading too. But the map reading on the iphone is the same as zooming out at a maximum. I actually got lost. 256 x 256 might be doable. But I thought, lets do the smallest possible map. Just to see what happens. One lesson learned, plan ahead. Next time, I place dummy railroad tracks around the town. For when the size increases sufficiently, 50 years later.

The only increase in economy is that all factories increased their production. I wonder if this is due to the fact that there are houses build right next to the factories. Or that this is a simple effect over time.

The only place that didn't get better was the corn field. From 18 to 40. While other places like fruit went from 60 to 360.

I had Locomotion years ago. Didn't play it that much. I also got frustrated when trying to build things in big cities, especially train stations. Airports were also a problem. The space crunch seems to be one of the "challenge" aspects of this series. I believe Locomotion has a leveling tool that can be exploited quite a bit. I'm not sure what the mobile TTD has or does not have. 

I think you can get more trains on a line by using one-way signals. Once again completely unsure if mobile TTD has that feature.

Yeah, I can sort of understand the city growth being a bit random, but the industry growth in Locomotion seemed really weird to me. Often I had a large industry that had upgraded to high production which was getting 90%+ of it's output transported, but out of nowhere it would shrink. Next it might shrink some more before surging up again, seemingly at random. Maybe I just didn't love the game enough to spend the time to find the nuances involved. :unsure:

As you realize, you aren't likely to find any advanced players of this game here. I maybe made it to Medium level when I was playing Locomotion. It doesn't seem like a game that would be naturally good on a phone/notebook to me, but then again awhile back we had someone who was playing RTII on a PS2 where it's not even possible to save an in-progress game. If you enjoy it why not. Anyway, best of luck with the game!

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 3:49 AM, X3M said:

The town started with 77 people, and grew to over 30.000. (Talking about inbreeding)

The only increase in economy is that all factories increased their production. I wonder if this is due to the fact that there are houses build right next to the factories.

X3M, I had to chuckle when I read this. If inbreeding was being practiced, then quite likely child labor from the nearby houses was being utilized as well. It all sounds eerily similar to the Hitler-Jugend (The Hitler Youth Movement) which was started by the Nazi Party in the mid-1920s. While primarily a boys movement, there was an organization later added for young girls called Schwesternschaft der Hitler-Jugend. It was not uncommon for some of these young girls to become pregnant as early as 12 or 13 years of age. This was not frowned upon by the Third Reich....more likely it was encouraged.

Just a thought rolling around in my head upon reading............