[Release] IX - The Technology is ours

Cm_blast

STORY:
The mission is about how IX have been doing research for the major House, selling them three mighty tanks: Sonic Tank, Deviator and the Devastator. Right now Ix is well aware of the power of those special tanks, so... why not use that superior firepower to conquer Arrakis?

Atreides, Ordos and Harkonnen fear such power so they join forces and create a big base combining the three of them to protect themselves. On the other Hand, the player need to capture a smuggler Starport so you can bring your armies and your special tanks from Ix.

TIBED:
Since Ix (index = 8 / Sandworm) has a lot of bugs (no be able to build carryall or crashing while deploying a MCV), I decided to do some small changes with Tibed, but then I went a step further and create a new unit to the game (sorta).

Here are the changes done using tibed. A ".txt" file with all this information is listed there.

- New Combat Tank for Ix:
* Visual: Body from Ordos Combat tank and the Barrel from Harkonnen Combat Tank.
* Stats: Speed from Ordos tank, Health from Atr Tank and Rate of Fire from Hark Tank.
Note: If someone is wondering, Atr, Ord and Hark still will build their respective tanks.
- Siege tank no longer need upgrades from the Heavy Factory. The missile tank doesn’t need IX (but yes the upgrades).
- MCV removed.
- The player will build the High-tech Factory (non Atr), but their visual are still the white type of Atr-building: Carryalls and Airstrike available.
- The Starport can't be builded, but there is one to capture in the game.
* Deliveries: Harvester, MCV and Carryall disabled to order. Sonic Tank, Devastator and Deviator replace them.
- IX Research Centre become available with the light factory instead the heavy one.
* With it, a new type of Stealth Raider will become available (the briefing will detail the changes; just small changes).

Summary:
Name: IX - The Technology is ours
Tech level: ?
Player: Ix
Enemy: Atreides, Ordos, Harkonnen

SCREENSHOTS:

Ix 1.PNG
Ix 2.PNG
Ix 3.PNG

Download files here:
IX The Technology is ours.rar

The mission will be in the “Fremen sub-menu from the mission launcher, since there isn’t a menu for Ix.

HOW TO INSTALL:
Unzip the file and copy every folder into the root of the game.
Any folders included will go to the path that it is suppose to go.
Do not copy any pgn (screenshots) nor the readme.txt (instructions).

Mission launcher 1.2 is required.

Edited by Cm_blast
MC Hammer

You replaced Carryall and MCV(it is MCV in english, please stop calling it VCM) with new units i guess.  Sounds like a good way to implement new units into game.  I'll try the mission. Modmaps are always fun to try.

Edit2: Looks liike there is a bug at the end, All your enemies are annahilated message appear after all Structures are cleared, but mission end when all units and structures are cleared. Message should include units too, as in originals.

Edit: Playing the Mission on Easy right now. Appearently doing this can be way effective than just relying on starport, maybe make keeping Starport something obligatory to go with lore to awoid doing this:

Raider Rush.png

Edited by Mustafa Alperen Seki

21 hours ago, Mustafa Alperen Seki said:

You replaced Carryall and MCV(it is MCV in english, please stop calling it VCM) with new units i guess.  Sounds like a good way to implement new units into game.  I'll try the mission. Modmaps are always fun to try.

Edit2: Looks liike there is a bug at the end, All your enemies are annahilated message appear after all Structures are cleared, but mission end when all units and structures are cleared. Message should include units too, as in originals.

Edit: Playing the Mission on Easy right now. Appearently doing this can be way effective than just relying on starport, maybe make keeping Starport something obligatory to go with lore to awoid doing this:

The mission win condition is only about destroying buildings. But I also add a % timer to avoid the message and the "mission accomplished" appearing at the same time. This way the player have time to read the message before the win triggers. Probably I should reduce the %500 to %200 or so. Is the type of thing I add when I start a new map but then I forgot to change it.

In my maps I rarely use the "unit destroyed" condition type to define the win. Is something personal, but I found tedious searching for that single harverster hidden in one of those last 5 black squares I had not yet explored.

Technically, the stealth Raider is suposse to be for Ix the same as the Sonic tank/deviator/Devastator to other Houses: the ultimate weapon.
As the Devastator is more powerful than the combat tank, the St.Raider is more powerfull than the Devastator. (is not true but an intention)
Also, the Starport offers to the player asking for deliveries done by themselves instead waiting for my programmed "event type - starport delivery".

Yes, you can sell it and build another thing there, the same way I can give you a map with an ally and you capture their refs just because you are more efficient than the AI. You can, but you shouldn't :P.

Edited by Cm_blast

It ended right after i killed a harvester so i assumed that, thanks for clearifying. I was going to record a video of it to upload to yoube but my Father was playing D2K for whole day while i'm at home today and still is.  I'll possibly do tomorrow.

Some balance changes might be good, cost increase of Stealth Rider by one or two hundred might be better. They are currently just too easy to spam. 

3 hours ago, Mustafa Alperen Seki said:

It ended right after i killed a harvester so i assumed that, thanks for clearifying. I was going to record a video of it to upload to yoube but my Father was playing D2K for whole day while i'm at home today and still is.  I'll possibly do tomorrow.

Some balance changes might be good, cost increase of Stealth Rider by one or two hundred might be better. They are currently just too easy to spam. 

They already cost 50 credits more than the original value. from 400 to 450, Didn't want to increase more since is still a light vehicle (and requires Ix, which cost 1000 credits and his only purpose is to be able to build St.Raiders, nothing else). The only good balance I think I could do is reducing their buildspeed to match the Quad (or a bit lower).

Anyway, the point to add the St.Raider is more about "hey player, this is IX and you will have a new never seen weapon" than to create a balance vehicle. If this was a campaign I was more concerned about balancing the unit and giving a major role which only this unit could perform, but then being useless for anything else (or something similar).

Summarizing: Probably I will reduce the unitspeed a little for a bit of consistency. The quad is 35 and the Siege Tank is 30, so givin to the St.Raider 32 maybe is the best spot: Slower than the Quad (a low tech vehicle) but faster than the Siege tank (a heavier vehicle).

Edited by Cm_blast

35 minutes ago, aarmaageedoon said:

Nice idea!
I played mission without problems. The idea of creating new units seems really good. Have you thought on creating some more new units. Also I'm waiting for whole campaign in this style.
Good job. :)

Thanks.
Is not possible to create new units, I can only remplace or change the weapons/speed/health/cost.... I couldn't even remove the Stealth part to this St.Raider (and try lots of things with TibEd with no luck).

The only reason a "new" combat Tank exist is because I resorted to leave out of the game another unit.

But anyway, when I create "Plague Tleilaxu" the Tleilaxu were enemy and a single map... later I create a whole campaign. So maybe in a future I can think on some ideas to a campaign as part of Ix (or against).

Edited by Cm_blast

32 minutes ago, aarmaageedoon said:

This is exactly what I meant. ;)

Yeah, I am usually against that. I feel I end up doing a unit too overpowered or underpowered and prefer to balance the map around the options the original dune has.

However, I was about to give to the St.Raider "Hydra": weapon with a Damage AOE.
The St.Raider win against groups of infantry/trooper, quads and missile tanks, but loose in the 1 vs 1 against almost everything (but troopers), also in groups loose against combat tanks and siege tanks.

The theory looks good enough. Advantage agains some units/groups, disadvantage agains other units/solo battle. But then the tragedy happens... in a real fight against real enemies, the St.Raiders were doing lots of damage between them (look at the Siege Tanks, but with a faster weapon and much less range).

And then instead changing the damage/range/other to the weapon I decided to just use the Fremen one.

Edited by Cm_blast

New Update:

After not touching this mission for a while, I had some time to think.
My briefing talk about bringing the special tanks from IX to use them to conquer Arrakis. This means Dune can't be conquered if those tanks can't come. --- For this reason I decided to make the Starport a primary objetive and not secundary. Is needed in order to dominate Arrakis. If the Starport is destroyed, the mission is automatically lost.

Also, the Stealth Raider now builds slower. A bit slower than the Quad but faster than a Siege Tank. Any other values remains.

Also, a new couple of lines added: In the briefing, (besides modifying the Starport part to be part of the main objetive) now tell players that with the Starport Sonic Tanks, Deviators and Devastators can be purchased, so even if players didn't read the "notes.txt" at least they will be aware what special benefits gets for capturing the Starport.
And in-game now will be one to warning players to protect the Starport just as a reminder (as soon as the player capture it).

First post updated with the new file.

Edited by Cm_blast

• 3 weeks later...