Let's Play Dune

TaxOwlbear

Hello everyone and welcome to Dune. Most of you will be familiar with Dune, but in case you are not: Dune is a 1992 strategy adventure hybrid based on the Dune franchise, especially David Lynch's Dune film. Story-wise, the game follows neither the novels nor the films. Instead, you take the role of Paul Atreides who (together with his family) has been permitted by Emperor Shaddam IV. to go to Dune and harvest the precious spice melange.

However, the evil Harkonnen are already there, and you two are unlikely to get along well. In Dune, which was developed independently from Dune II, your goal is to unite the Fremen tribes, harvest spice, build up an army and ultimately drive the Harkonnen off Dune. Can we do all this?

Anyway, I hope you join me on my journey. :)

Opening

Part 1: Spice Shall Flow

With the plot being a bit different, a new mechanic enters the game: We have to send the Emperor a shipment of spice every couple of days or else we will be recalled from Arrakis. It's not much of an issue, but it does put you under some pressure and prevents you from just harvesting all the spice in the beginning.

Part 3: Bribery

14 hours ago, TaxOwlbear said:

With the plot being a bit different, a new mechanic enters the game: We have to send the Emperor a shipment of spice every couple of days or else we will be recalled from Arrakis.

Recalled? Nah. Quite the contrary; you'll become a semi-permanent feature of the desert landscape, after he sends his Sardaukar after you :P

Edited by Nyerguds
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's time to meet the last important NPC: Liet Kynes the planetologist. he gives us access to bulbs, which unlocks the third possible occupation for the Fremen: Ecologist. Ecologists can grow plants on Dune and deny access to a region to the Harkonnen. However, growing plants also destroys Spice, so don't grow plants in Spice-rich regions!

Part 10: Meeting Liet Kynes

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ah, spying. To see (or estimate) how many enemy troops are stationed at the fortress and how strong they are, one needs to send a Fremen troop out to spy on them. Spying is a bit odd. occasionally, the option is just not available, and sometimes it seems to be impossible to send a troop to a specific fortress.

Part 14: Spy Games

It's time to drink the Water of Life. If you do that while your charisma is too low and before Lady Jessica recommends it, you just die. Do it in time and you get a charisma boost (maxed out charisma?) and can generally contact all Fremen on the planet, which makes sietch management sooo much easier.

Part 18: Aqua Vitae

I kind of like the whole spying subsystem, but a couple of things bother me about it. It's hard to control where your spies go, and occasionally spying just isn't available as an option (or rather greyed out). Also, you probably want to attack with eight armies anyway if you can - not the maximum of nine or else you might miss out on a liberated Fremen tribe.

Part 19: Gathering Intel

After about a third of the game (at the end of the main event cycle), it's likely that you only have a couple of armies and are busy gathering all that Spice. However, once you have at least one group of six or seven armies (preferably with 2,000+ Fremen each), the domino effect kicks in and you can swiftly conquer the entire planet, which will also give you more Spice, equipment, and Fremen than you need.

Part 20: Victory Spree

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2016 at 9:36 AM, Nyerguds said:

Pfff. Harah never stood a chance.

I remember being a kid I was quite impressed with Harah's, had a mini crush, then I met Chani - Oh My God, video game crush!

I guess when you're starting to discover women at a young age the simplest sensuality can be impressionable.

As for the play troughs they seem like nice videos, you have a calm soothing voice. It's just not my style to watch other people playing games, I rather play them myself :P

• Upvote 1

After a couple of victories, things tend to snowball very quickly. I went from being able to comfortably pay the Emperor to not knowing what to do with my Fremen. I could get some more ecology Fremen, but the whole ecology thing takes so long (especially training the initial troops) that it's simply not worth the hassle.

Part 21: Under Construction