I don't want to get your hopes up.. but I can't deny it much either...

stefanhendriks

TLDR: I work on a new engine for quite some time now. If you are interested to know more see https://github.com/Fundynamic/dune2themaker4j. You can also download releases or watch dev movies (links below).

Perhaps (some of) you noticed that there is a Github repository called `dune2themaker4j`. Which frankly began as an attempt to write an engine in Java. Mainly because I work in Java professionally often (but nowadays in C#... so... yeah).

It is still leaps away from what the 'current' D2TM can do, but I am still quite satisfied with what is accomplished given my life is totally different and the time and attention I give it. Usually when I have some spare time I think about it or write some code. Often in a holiday I spend time on it because it is fun. These are good things.

So can you 'play' it? If you are daring enough you can actually download a release and play with some units. It actually is built with the concept of 'configuring your own units' in an INI format style way so if you really want to run wild...

If you are just interested in seeing things without downloading, I made a few video's and put them on youtube. Mainly because I find it rewarding to publish a new 'feature'.

Check out 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3iy0eU2OaQ&list=PLGJc4IZyoBW2_Ue06RVQewDQBF8nkW_dE for the very first alpha construction.

And for Alpha #2 -> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGJc4IZyoBW0rdEfpvgFH2sHiB3JIR-BN

Now I am working on 'Alpha #3'. Although I did not do any videos for that yet I did some major work on 'gui' stuff. 

If you want to see more, just look at the github page. Also you can download 'releases' from the 'Releases' link there.

https://github.com/Fundynamic/dune2themaker4j

So it all boils down to: ok so what is this going to be anyway? 

I would suggest you check out the wiki pages for that. But do mind I want to start small and without promises. The first step is have basic mechanics going on. Then later think of more interesting aspects. Well you get the idea. :)

13 hours ago, TaxOwlbear said:

I thought this was discontinued?

sssssh! ;-)

Yeah you're right. In fact if you go to the website then it still has that last post about being discontinued. However, that does not stop me from trying in my own pace. 

I don't want to promise a next version of D2TM, but if there is going to be a new version of it, then it will be this one.

Now that I think about it, I believe I had a retry in C++ again once (it is also on github). I just did not feel comfortable working in that environment/stack/technique. In Java I feel much more confident.

6 hours ago, TaxOwlbear said:

That's good to know. What distinguishes D2TM from the other D2 clones? Not being snarky here, I'm just curious. :)

Good question. I believe nowadays there are better 'clones' out there now. (OpenDune, DTGP, etc). I believe the real differentiate is 'time'. In that sense that Dune 2 - The Maker latest release is 10 years old. I believe that was around the birth / beginning of Dune Legacy (another awesome clone).

My aim with D2TM back then was to recreate Dune 2, it has full campaign mode for all 3 houses. It has upgraded graphics and it has C&C like controls. It was not trying to be as true to Dune 2, but rather keep the same atmosphere but also mix some new things in it. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh1wBnwz6ms for an impression.

The project I am referring to today (dune2themaker4j, because I am not that original with naming...) has a totally different aim though.

4 hours ago, X3M said:

Great to see you back Stefan.

Sometimes a pause to a project, caused by life events. Feels like a certain stop. But years later, you can pick up again at where you where.

How many years has it been though?

I saw a post form 2006 on duneii.com, and if you dig a bit further you see some posts still from 2011. So if you want to be strict it would be 5 years ago - latest release. But I consider the latest release DEMO 4. I think that was 10 years ago. 

Time sure flies.

Yeah, 'life' is just so much more. When you're working, having a family and such, it is much harder to maintain a project like this.

3 hours ago, stefanhendriks said:

My aim with D2TM back then was to recreate Dune 2, it has full campaign mode for all 3 houses. It has upgraded graphics and it has C&C like controls. It was not trying to be as true to Dune 2, but rather keep the same atmosphere but also mix some new things in it. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh1wBnwz6ms for an impression.

That looks really smooth. Like a more polished version of D2.

Not to be a brick in the wall. But can you make it something similar like in C&C3. So that players can have multiple factories working?

I dislike the illogical "faster" build that C&C dawn offers. But Dune 2 offered a great logic to it.

17 minutes ago, X3M said:

Not to be a brick in the wall. But can you make it something similar like in C&C3. So that players can have multiple factories working?

I dislike the illogical "faster" build that C&C dawn offers. But Dune 2 offered a great logic to it.

did you see my demo? I exactly intended to do just that ;-)

3 hours ago, X3M said:

I'm the opposite - I love the single queue. ;)

5 hours ago, stefanhendriks said:

did you see my demo? I exactly intended to do just that ;-)

Sorry, which video is the one showing it?

1 hour ago, TaxOwlbear said:

I'm the opposite - I love the single queue. ;)

Shame on you.

@X3M I meant this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9TN_mfDBCg&feature=youtu.be

@TaxOwlbear Although I like the simplicity of the sidebar, having multiple factories to 'speed up' construction is one of the ways to deal with simplicity i guess. Either the player (still) needs to select a structure and click to construct. Or the player assigns a 'primary structure' and always has the sidebar and units/structures available. 

The latter (C&C style) construction of units has the downside that you always show the construction queue, even when it is not needed. The upside is that it is very easy to construct units, no need to select structures etc.

I want to experiment with multiple bases, having multiple purposes, perhaps there is another way to select your <insert factory here> without moving your screen towards it to 'select' it. Perhaps other ways are possible and easy enough?

Take a look at how KKnD has done it. You have a side bar that you can open and close.

Once opened, you have your (light/heavy) factories, colour coded, and each will produce units individually. Same for infantry/troopers. And I guess, in case of Dune, the Starport and High Tech as well.

Depending on how long the list will be, you place them accordingly in the drop down. I think players will love this style, since it is rare. But very convenient. The sidebar in C&C 3 is indeed bigger.

hqdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, X3M said:

I just saw the tanks and infantry video. The tank has once again overkill against the infantry.

Are you going to change it into your vision of Dune2? Or are you going to try to stay loyal to the real Dune2?

which video do you mean? I can't remember having implemented infantry yet. (I do have trikes, quads and combat tanks).

I tend to make it into my own vision. There are already enough 'loyal' dune 2 clones :-)