Colours.bin RESEARCH

Cm_blast

• 1 year later...

Thank you for posting this!!! would be great if you can tell me how to change the colors for atreides i just dont understand the table you made and comparing it with the hex table its too confusing for me. Where do i add 88 88? Now, the colours are defined by 4 values. So, "84 04" do i repalce that with 88 88 ?? thank you!!

3 hours ago, maltebyte02 said:

Thank you for posting this!!! would be great if you can tell me how to change the colors for atreides i just dont understand the table you made and comparing it with the hex table its too confusing for me. Where do i add 88 88? Now, the colours are defined by 4 values. So, "84 04" do i repalce that with 88 88 ?? thank you!!

In the first post I added an screenshot of the page (but if you open the file with other hex editor will look different, I guess).

I marked there the two first lines, with a light blue. Those 2 lines of values are for Atreides, grouped in 4 values "86 04 - A8 04 - EA 0C - etc..."

For example, 86 04 its a layer of the units and buildings, but A8 04 it's another layer from units/buildings, and EA 0C another layer... so if for example you want to convert the Atreides in white, all should be "FF FF - FF FF - FF FF". Of course, this will look very bad, but you can use some greys in between to make it look better.

I don't know exactly what layers changes what values, so I'm just a noob about this. I only know that the first 4 values from the second line (D2 2D, in the imagen) will affect the colour you see in the radar from the outpost. So if You change that value to green, the Atreides will continue to look blue (except for a very small part of buildings or units) and in the radar they will show green.

At the end, if you want a new colour you need to change all the values from those two lines, but a color gradient is required to make it look good. Has been soem time I research this, and besides an orange (reusing original harkonnen but change it a bit) I can't really tell the shades that the values represents, because I am not really doing too much with the colours. 

But, if you want to try to convert Atreides to red, copy the values from lines 3 and 4 and paste into lines 1 and 2. Just every 2 lines are a side to the game: first 2 lines, ATreides, next 2: Harkonnen, next 2: Ordos, Emperor, Fremen....

Edited by Cm_blast

11 minutes ago, Fey said:

Do you suppose we could add more distinct colors to higher allocation indexes?

Not for now.

When you use the index that have weird colours, probably the game takes values from at random place, mixing Atreides and Harkonnen lines, for example. And for the index that looks black, who know what lines the game takes. I remember once adding FF FF as value to a bunch of newer lines, and trying index from 10 to 30, but they were still black.

So far we only manage to change colours from existed index.

10 minutes ago, Cm_blast said:

Not for now.

When you use the index that have weird colours, probably the game takes values from at random place, mixing Atreides and Harkonnen lines, for example. And for the index that looks black, who know what lines the game takes. I remember once adding FF FF as value to a bunch of newer lines, and trying index from 10 to 30, but they were still black.

So far we only manage to change colours from existed index.

The color's the same every time at a certain allocation index, right? I think there are default indexes that are screwy between 0 and 255. If we can figure out how to set those...

1 hour ago, Fey said:

The color's the same every time at a certain allocation index, right? I think there are default indexes that are screwy between 0 and 255. If we can figure out how to set those...

I am not sure about that. For example; the index I used for my Tleilaxu Campaign alwais looked like this screenshot.
https://d2kplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Tleilaxu-2.png

However, right now I have windows 7, and out of curiosity I looked at my own campaign and now the colours are others.
59ed11e927b62_Sinttulo.png.372c1dd9f2e17eccef401e588e5be989.png

Hard to know what colours will be in other computers or operating systems. This is what we get for messing too much with the game xD. But so far the brown-Emperor side (index 35 I used in another campaign) still looks the same.

Edited by Cm_blast

1 hour ago, Cm_blast said:

I am not sure about that. For example; the index I used for my Tleilaxu Campaign alwais looked like this screenshot.
https://d2kplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Tleilaxu-2.png

However, right now I have windows 7, and out of curiosity I looked at my own campaign and now the colours are others.
59ed11e927b62_Sinttulo.png.372c1dd9f2e17eccef401e588e5be989.png

Hard to know what colours will be in other computers or operating systems. This is what we get for messing too much with the game xD. But so far the brown-Emperor side (index 35 I used in another campaign) still looks the same.

How about Sumadi in S1V1, S7V1, and H2V2? :O

38 minutes ago, Fey said:

How about Sumadi in S1V1, S7V1, and H2V2? :O

Dark brown, If I remember well, at least when I played. I need to reload your campaign again.

The Spacing Guild from the Feda's Ix campaign looks different too, now it's like a cyan one. He is using Index 9.
In the Index allocation.txt I have said that Index 8 and 9 colours are not the same.

10 hours ago, Dark Wesker said:

Are someone tried to figure out which numbers can to deploy mcv? I will try. Dark brown - 32 Atreides, 33 Harkonnen, 34 Ordos and 35 is Emperor.

I will need to edit my Harkonnen campaign. Bad number used.

I send in your main profile and as private message the post that have the information of colours and the house owner. Anything that is not "Atreides" (in reality it's Sandworm) all those MCV works.

Edited by Cm_blast

11 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

My tool was actually completely broken... But not anymore!

Amazing Work Funkyfresh. Just a few clicks and the work was done. I did this in less than a minute.
col.png.9607f371b0a66edf9194926ddab5f53b.png

I could suggest to add a "default" buttom to recover the original values. Sooner or later someone it's going to overwrite the file and loose the original colours.

Edited by Cm_blast

5 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

Looks cool :D

Good idea, I added a reset button and fixed some bugs

And that was done really quick, almost picking random colors there.

I am seeing that the scale of the game and your program it's not the same. I mean, if you pick "change all" in any side and just acept the default value (which it's the one suppose to be used) the result doesn't match. the original Atreides have a very dark blue and a very light blue (almost white) but in your program the scale jump less.

But I can get maybe it's impossible to do it the same way as the original game, so it's not a big problem to me.

Can be added some kind of swap lines/colors? Like making the Atreides being red without editing all 16 squares individually. Or having some "default" scales, using the original Atreides-sandworm scales so I can turn quickly all the sides but one into "light-Brown", so I can create a map where IX seems like it's using building and units from the three houses at the same time (mostly the combat tank, since it's the unit you can't add even with Tibed).

Stop me if at a one point I ask for too much :P.

Edited by Cm_blast

2 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

And that was done really quick, almost picking random colors there.

I am seeing that the scale of the game and your program it's not the same. I mean, if you pick "change all" in any side and just acept the default value (which it's the one suppose to be used) the result doesn't match. the original Atreides have a very dark blue and a very light blue (almost white) but in your program the scale jump less.

But I can get maybe it's impossible to do it the same way as the original game, so it's not a big problem to me.

Can be added some kind of swap lines/colors? Like making the Atreides being red without editing all 16 squares individually. Or having some "default" scales, using the original Atreides-sandworm scales so I can turn quickly all the sides but one into "light-Brown", so I can create a map where IX seems like it's using building and units from the three houses at the same time (mostly the combat tank, since it's the unit you can't add even with Tibed).

Stop me if at a one point I ask for too much :P.

I actually did that on purpose, I wanted to make sure the colors are easier to distinguish since the original colors were problematic (That's why windyQueen made the color patch). 

I haven't actually checked how it looks ingame, does it look bad like this?

10 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

I actually did that on purpose, I wanted to make sure the colors are easier to distinguish since the original colors were problematic (That's why windyQueen made the color patch). 

I haven't actually checked how it looks ingame, does it look bad like this?

I understand. Since I only play campaign type of maps I have no problems with the original colors, but I can get that playing online with a high resolution and all using Atreides may be confusing for players.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Fey said:

Yo @FunkyFr3sh, did you make any progress on adding that colors section to the ini file like FedaYkin asked for a while back? I'm still really interested in that. :)

If that happens, maybe i'm gonna acutally finish that war of assassins sequel :D so funky, u got at least 2 ppl really looking forward to this ;)

12 minutes ago, FedaYkin said:

If that happens, maybe i'm gonna acutally finish that war of assassins sequel :D so funky, u got at least 2 ppl really looking forward to this ;)

Ayy Feda what's up :D I'm thinking of doing a sequel for the smugglers campaign, myself. And I really want to give the Tleilaxu and Spacing Guild and such some legit colors! And Sumadi. And maybe some other factions if I come up with any...

3 minutes ago, Fey said:

Ayy Feda what's up :D I'm thinking of doing a sequel for the smugglers campaign, myself. And I really want to give the Tleilaxu and Spacing Guild and such some legit colors! And Sumadi. And maybe some other factions if I come up with any...

Yo man, being busy with graduation and work. That's cool, let's hope Funky still reads this place :)

1 minute ago, FedaYkin said:

Yo man, being busy with graduation and work. That's cool, let's hope Funky still reads this place :)

Aye, it's a struggle. But, thanks to the amazing tools already put out by awesome folks, it's easy enough to make new stuff on one's free time with enough motivation!

If you continue work on that other campaign, I'm totally up for testing. :D

+1 to the colour into .ini files.

I also have my Tleilaxu campaign (and other mission using them as an enemy) and would like to give them 1 specific color instead the current version that seems to change some colors from time to time.

• 1 year later...
On 6/9/2016 at 4:27 PM, FunkyFr3sh said:

here is a little tool I made quick, click on the color box and select a color. It will output the 2 bytes you need like this "0x6B44", the bytes are for sure in reverse order, use 44 6B

https://googledrive.com/host/0B5by5H1Q2PxEVDYtM0tPTWMtRlU/D2kColorConverter.exe

I really need this tool for my campaign. Anyone still have it or improved it?

@Cm_blast @Fey @FunkyFr3sh

EDIT

My tool was actually completely broken... But not anymore!

ColoursBinEditor.png

http://downloads.cncnet.org/Games/Dune2000/ColoursBinEditor.exe

I found this later. Sorry for the post

Edited by VengeanceDM
Found what i looking for