Colours.bin RESEARCH

Cm_blast

15 hours ago, FedaYkin said:

Cm_blast definitely got a much better result than i did :D i see you master those bytes

I just took the original Harkonnen valours and remove any trace of blue, so when a group of four is A5 54 (173 Red, 32 Green and 41 Blue), I change it to A0 54 (173 Red, 32 Green and no Blue). This way I am using the same proportion from the original game but without any Blue, the result is this Organge.

16 hours ago, Shai-Gel98 said:

Especially purple 

I Love that colour since I played Dune 2 and from there I liked the dark purple from Dune 2000 even more (I know only one of the two Dune games is a "purple", the other is... violet? I have a mess with that, I barely know the colour's names in spanish XD). I couldn't play practice/skirmish back in time (that option didn't work); when I could, I always choose the Harkonnen-purple combination.

Edited by Cm_blast

1 hour ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

here is a little tool I made quick, click on the color box and select a color. It will output the 2 bytes you need like this "0x6B44", the bytes are for sure in reverse order, use 44 6B

https://googledrive.com/host/0B5by5H1Q2PxEVDYtM0tPTWMtRlU/D2kColorConverter.exe

Yep, works like a charm, nice funky, another great tool from you :D for sure saved me the hassle of doing all those damn calculations.

Here's a very neat result I got with funky's program

GAZcMMe.png

Now funky, is there a way to be able to make the game read more than 8 colors? So we don't have to replace existing? Like the indexes above 7 get those screwed up colors, could we assign new colors to those indexes somehow? I guess if we write more lines in colors.bin, the game will either crash cuz increase of filesize(like with .mis files) or simply not read them. So could the exe be hacked to add more?

Edited by FedaYkin
  • Upvote 1

I remember that I messed around with the colors.bin some time ago, but I don't have any notes so I guess I didn't found out what all bytes are used for. If we can identify every byte in it then we could look into adding support for more colors. Iran made a patch for red alert, in his patch he just allowed players to override the standard colors via a .ini key in the map file, I guess that might be possible for dune 2000 too, should be easy to add

8 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

I remember that I messed around with the colors.bin some time ago, but I don't have any notes so I guess I didn't found out what all bytes are used for. If we can identify every byte in it then we could look into adding support for more colors. Iran made a patch for red alert, in his patch he just allowed players to override the standard colors via a .ini key in the map file, I guess that might be possible for dune 2000 too, should be easy to add

Could you add the ini entry? :D I mean before finding a way to add more, just using the ini key to overwrite them would be quite helpful. The way i see it useful, is if we make like a [COLORS] section, with the key being the color name we define and the value being the hex value to be written in colors.bin (like orange=123456789abcdef). Then, in order to apply this to a specific index (even those greater than 7, cuz that would be a very big thing), i see a section like [SIDES] where you can define the index value and assign the color name defined previously. Like 8=orange, this would give side 8 the orange color. Is this possible?

If not, then, i'm not sure if you have any knowledge about where are the houses stored for singleplayer mission, since you mainly did multiplayer. By this I mean, Atreides is always blue atreides, harkonnen is always blue hark etc. but fremen is actually a gray atreides with nothing different, smugglers are a brown ordos with nothing different except a special starport, mercenaries are yellow ordos with a special heavy factory and the sandworm (index 7) is an atreides that cannot build carryalls IIRC. Do you know if we could also change the house a specific side uses? Like changing the fremen side from being an atreides to harkonnen or anything else. I mean getting their buildings and units, but still being side #4 in the editor and in-game. Might be a little confusing. The reason this would be helpful is that for example the only harkonnen player in the first 8 sides is actually side 1, "Harkonnen", side 3 has harkonnen buildings indeed but it's "emperor", that is he cant build devastators (has different heavy factory that looks the same) and also cant build harkonnen palace (the nuke). So you can't really have 2 hark players on the same map unless you use indexes over 7, there is a topic HERE on each index what house and colors it has, those above 7. So you could use 33 to get another harkonnen player, but then he would have its colors screwed like all indexes above 7 have. That's why being able to set a color for any index would help.

So would any of these be possible? :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FedaYkin said:

If not, then, i'm not sure if you have any knowledge about where are the houses stored for singleplayer mission, since you mainly did multiplayer. By this I mean, Atreides is always blue atreides, harkonnen is always blue hark etc. but fremen is actually a gray atreides with nothing different, smugglers are a brown ordos with nothing different except a special starport, mercenaries are yellow ordos with a special heavy factory and the sandworm (index 7) is an atreides that cannot build carryalls IIRC.

Also, The Emperor (Imperial Construction Yard) can't build the High-tech factory. Only if a VCM is deployed (It is treated like a new Harkonnen CY), then the player can build the high-tech and the Harkonnen palace (but not the devastator).

I would like to see something like a [COLORS] section added into the ".ini" to be able to change the colours of a specific side. My "A new House" would need that, since "gray" and "blue" (both with the same Atreides Buildings) can get too confused (this colour isn't even use in the practice mode).

Edited by Cm_blast

On 6/9/2016 at 11:18 AM, FedaYkin said:

I guess if we write more lines in colors.bin, the game will either crash cuz increase of filesize(like with .mis files) or simply not read them.

Interestingly this doesn't happen at all, you can add more lines or remove some, or even delete everything or leave just a single byte and it will still work, the game will just treat every missing byte as "00", so the colours are all black 

Edited by Shai-Gel98

Well that's interesting. So that's why indexes over 7 are mostly black. But the question i got is: why some of them are actually a mixed up color? Like the 12 or whatever i used for the Spacing Guild in my War of Assassins missions.

35 minutes ago, FedaYkin said:

Well that's interesting. So that's why indexes over 7 are mostly black. But the question i got is: why some of them are actually a mixed up color? Like the 12 or whatever i used for the Spacing Guild in my War of Assassins missions.

And why some of those messed up colours change every time the game runs, the chart only lists 8 and 9 as doing this but others do too. 

• Upvote 1

On 10.6.2016 at 2:39 PM, FedaYkin said:

Could you add the ini entry? :D I mean before finding a way to add more, just using the ini key to overwrite them would be quite helpful. The way i see it useful, is if we make like a [COLORS] section, with the key being the color name we define and the value being the hex value to be written in colors.bin (like orange=123456789abcdef). Then, in order to apply this to a specific index (even those greater than 7, cuz that would be a very big thing), i see a section like [SIDES] where you can define the index value and assign the color name defined previously. Like 8=orange, this would give side 8 the orange color. Is this possible?

If not, then, i'm not sure if you have any knowledge about where are the houses stored for singleplayer mission, since you mainly did multiplayer. By this I mean, Atreides is always blue atreides, harkonnen is always blue hark etc. but fremen is actually a gray atreides with nothing different, smugglers are a brown ordos with nothing different except a special starport, mercenaries are yellow ordos with a special heavy factory and the sandworm (index 7) is an atreides that cannot build carryalls IIRC. Do you know if we could also change the house a specific side uses? Like changing the fremen side from being an atreides to harkonnen or anything else. I mean getting their buildings and units, but still being side #4 in the editor and in-game. Might be a little confusing. The reason this would be helpful is that for example the only harkonnen player in the first 8 sides is actually side 1, "Harkonnen", side 3 has harkonnen buildings indeed but it's "emperor", that is he cant build devastators (has different heavy factory that looks the same) and also cant build harkonnen palace (the nuke). So you can't really have 2 hark players on the same map unless you use indexes over 7, there is a topic HERE on each index what house and colors it has, those above 7. So you could use 33 to get another harkonnen player, but then he would have its colors screwed like all indexes above 7 have. That's why being able to set a color for any index would help.

So would any of these be possible? :D

I can add that yeah, gonna have a closer look into the colors.bin to see what is going there, but will take some time... I don't even have all the d2k stuff installed atm, just running on my barebones new windows 10 install

1 hour ago, Shai-Gel98 said:

Interestingly this doesn't happen at all, you can add more lines or remove some, or even delete everything or leave just a single byte and it will still work, the game will just treat every missing byte as "00", so the colours are all black 

I remember adding lots of lines with a number, don't remember which. Then tried several index (10 to 30 or so) but most of them still black, others have mixed colours.

1 hour ago, FedaYkin said:

My guess (not a fact), is the valours don't start from a point. I mean, Atreides is always position 0, and take 16 from there, Harkonnen position 16, and take the next 16..... while a high index maybe takes from 5 and take the next 16.
Or even more, instead starting in the group of 4, making for example 10 "Atreides blue theme" and 6 "Harkonen-red theme", maybe the game start reading elsewhere, so if 58 01 is one part of the Atreides colour, the game starts from "8 01", trasnfoming in 80-1X giving anything but blue (and from there mixing everything with "random").

• Upvote 1

By the way Shai-Gel98. I checked the wiki again and saw this.

For this example, we will use the colour #df7123, it's RGB values are 223, 113, and 35. To get as close to that as we can we just need to chose the 3rd value that gets as close as it can to 223, and that would be "F" which has a red value of 231

I want to point a small thing.
To make a 223 of red, is possible using another combination to make it even more close.
Instead the third valor being F, which is 231 (8 of red above).
Would be better E = 198 AND the fourh valor being C/D/E/F (depending on how much green is needed), which have a 24 of red. 198+24 = 222.

3 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

By the way Shai-Gel98. I checked the wiki again and saw this.

For this example, we will use the colour #df7123, it's RGB values are 223, 113, and 35. To get as close to that as we can we just need to chose the 3rd value that gets as close as it can to 223, and that would be "F" which has a red value of 231

I want to point a small thing.
To make a 223 of red, is possible using another combination to make it even more close.
Instead the third valor being F, which is 231 (8 of red above).
Would be better E = 198 AND the fourh valor being C/D/E/F (depending on how much green is needed), which have a 24 of red. 198+24 = 222.

Ah, thanks, I'll update that part 

46 minutes ago, FedaYkin said:

Use funky's tool, it gets the job done very well and very quickly :D

It does work really great. But I initially did it manually for "#df7123, rgb(223, 113, 35)" and got "C4 6D, rgb(222, 113, 33)" while Funky's tool got "A4 6D, rgb(222, 97, 33)" so the amount of green was slightly off even though it could've been exactly the right amount of green. But the difference is hardly noticeable really :smile:

So I thought that the colours for the first value were a bit strange how they repeated themselves twice over so I went and checked them again and this is what I got 

0 | 0 0 0 

1 | 0 0 132

2 | 0 8 0 

3 | 0 8 132

4 | 0 16 0

5 | 0 16 132

6 | 0 24 0

7 | 0 24 132

8 | 0 33 0

9 | 0 33 132

A | 0 41 0

B | 0 41 132

C | 0 49 0

D | 0 49 132

E | 0 57 0

F | 0 57 132

And for some weird reason the line spacing is all messed up even though it was just saved in a txt file 

Edited by Shai

• 2 weeks later...

So funky, any progress on those things? I have a set of campaigns in mind which would greatly make use of those features. In fact, the only way I could create those campaigns would be to have more colors, and be configurable like we previously discussed :D

just made a quick editor, are these colors correct? http://i.imgur.com/3E5mrws.png

download: https://f5158ae95c0b14bbdeb4b5e5d93f94e4ebc9b66d.googledrive.com/host/0B5by5H1Q2PxEVDYtM0tPTWMtRlU/ColoursBinEditor.7z

i had to set a password since drive deltes my files says there is a virus in it, but virustotal only shows a false detection on f-secure, pretty weird

pw: 1