Origin of the Mercenary faction in Dune games

Mr.Cs

What is the origin of the Mercenaries faction in Dune games (Super Dune 2 , Dune 2000)?
If I don't mistake, the army of the House Ordos (colored by green) is are mercenaires. But who are the yellow-colored Mercenaries?
(I started creating a new dune II remake/clone few weeks ago, and I set the Mercenaries as a playable house (like in Super Dune2 or in Dune Legacy), but I don't know what should I write in the mentat-sections).

Any idea?

1 hour ago, Mr.Cs said:

What is the origin of the Mercenaries faction in Dune games (Super Dune 2 , Dune 2000)?
If I don't mistake, the army of the House Ordos (colored by green) is are mercenaires. But who are the yellow-colored Mercenaries?
(I started creating a new dune II remake/clone few weeks ago, and I set the Mercenaries as a playable house (like in Super Dune2 or in Dune Legacy), but I don't know what should I write in the mentat-sections).

Any idea?

if I am not mistaken, they are themselves.

If you try to open a ".ini" file for a Dune 2 version and use the "replace" option changing the word "Atreides" to "Mercenary", they will appear as themselves. You can check in this screen, First level Harkonnen map the game reconice them (if you try to make yourselve be mercenary, the game will crash).

mercenary in dune 2.PNG

As a answer, Mercenaries are people in Dune that will work for anyone who paid thems. In Dune 2000 the Ordos, to compensate the numerical superiority of all his enemies (Atreides, Harkonnen and the Emperor) hire some Mercenaries, making the last three missions from the Ordos campaign a 2 vs 3 situation when the player have an ally.

Edited by Cm_blast

Thanks for your reply :)
I know that the mercenary was built in Dune2, and was a  subhouse in dune2000.
But if it is a playable house, what is the background? I mean, that who are they exactly and what is the main goal (to seize Arrakis, but why), and if they are mercenaries, who is the "client"? Why not join to other "rich" House , like to House Ordos (like in Dune 2000).

3 hours ago, Mr.Cs said:

Thanks for your reply :)
I know that the mercenary was built in Dune2, and was a  subhouse in dune2000.
But if it is a playable house, what is the background? I mean, that who are they exactly and what is the main goal (to seize Arrakis, but why), and if they are mercenaries, who is the "client"? Why not join to other "rich" House , like to House Ordos (like in Dune 2000).

My guess in Dune 2, because they don't "exist", they don't have any backstory.

And in Dune 2000. The Merc usually fight along the Ordos. In A6V2 and H8V1 (original campaigns) the Mercs are there figthing with the Ordos too (as enemies).

My vision of them is about they being truly mercenaries. They fight with anyone who pays them. They client is the one who can (and want) to offer their services. And the reason they join Ordos and not the other two... I have two reasoning for this:

1º: - In terms of story, the Atreides already are interested in a ally, the Fremen. Since the beggining the Atreides want the Fremen to Join them. There is no use for Mercs when you want the best warriors in Dune.
And Harkonnen... In level 8 in the original campaign as Harkonnen you can capture the Mer.Heavy Factory to "persuade" them to fight for you, so my guess the Harkonnen aren't interested in those guys.
Then, in the briefing from the level 7 Ordos, refering to the mercs sais: "[...]They fight for money but they are a fragile inversion".

2º: - The true "backstory" is because the Ordos are weak, withouth the power of missile tanks, the lack of airstrike/devastador/sonic tank, and with the weakest tank of the three houses, they needed to give the player a boost to counter all the mentioned above. Also, just look how the final level in the Dune 2000 game in both Atreides and Harkonnen campaign the Ordos aren't present, they never  aren't "the final boss" in this game.

Edited by Cm_blast
  • Upvote 2

Indeed they are just that, mercenaries. They don't have a story nor an objective. They just work for whoever pays them. They definitely don't wanna take over Arrakis lol, how could they do that, they are just a small group of dudes trapped on Arrakis.

13 hours ago, FedaYkin said:

Indeed they are just that, mercenaries. They don't have a story nor an objective. They just work for whoever pays them. They definitely don't wanna take over Arrakis lol, how could they do that, they are just a small group of dudes trapped on Arrakis.

I don't believe they are trapped, they likely get ferried by the spacing guild like the other houses. It's doubtful that they are a large force though, which is why they retreat after sustaining casualties (where as other houses stand and fight).

On viernes, 20 de mayo de 2016 at 3:24 PM, Mr.Cs said:

[...] I set the Mercenaries as a playable house (like in Super Dune2 or in Dune Legacy), but I don't know what should I write in the mentat-sections).

Any idea?

Maybe you don't like the "They are mercs working for Ordos" because in Dune 2 maybe don't fit well or you, being the player, don't want to be tied to an ally for life.

However, I can give you a new idea for them: You can change a bit their premise withouth changing the fact that they are mercenaries figthing for money.

Taking the original story (The emperor sending Atr-Har-Ord to harverst/kill each other), But there is a fourth "Guy" that want control over Arrakis too:
-A new minor House without enough money to travel by themselves (But they can provide basic equipement to the mercs), or because this house it was not invited to the challenge.
-The emperor himself are the one paying those Mercs to have a better control of the situation (as enemy they still can fight togheter, and as player the Emperor turn on you because he does not want evidence against him).
-Someone like the Spacing Guild, they are neutral so they can't fight directly, but if the paid others to fight for them without anyone's knowledge.

Edited by Cm_blast

Thank you for your replies :)
In one of the original concepts was, that the client would be the Emperor (similar to the second option of your thoughts), but I think, it would be better if the Mercenary would be a "third party" army of House Ordos (because Ordos has no enough "private" millitary strength to defeat all other houses).
In this case the Ordos "invites" the Mercenaries to the Arrakis, to help him to defeat the enemies of House Ordos.

- If the player is with House Ordos, then the Mercenary will join in later levels to the Emperor's coalition. In this case the Emperor - and later the other houses (joined to the Emperor) - gives a better offer to the mercenaries, to divide the Ordos forces. The player's task to show, that the Ordos can win the war without allies.

- If the player is with the Mercenaries, then the Ordos will join to the Emperor in later levels. In this case, the Mercenary will realize, that main goal is the control of spice (-> the Empire), not the defeat of the enemy houses. The player's task to build a "new house" from the Mercenary.

- If the player is with an another House, then the Ordos and Mercenary are allies. So in this case - in later levels - both Ordos and Mercenary are the member of the Emperor's coalition.

The Mercenary would be an "individual" organization, not a common term for mercenary soldiers.

• 6 years later...