[RELEASE] Frank Herbert: Custom Campaign for Dune 2000

Cm_blast

Hi guys. You read that right, a campaing for Dune 2000 based in the first book from Frank Herbert.

A total of 15 mission following the steps of Paul Atreides since he meets the Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam until the final battle in Arrakis.

To create this custom campaing I took the liberty to do a lot of adaptation, more or less accuracy and trying to bring some events from the book into a RTS game like this.

So, for this campaign you will encounter several type of adaptations:
-The logicals: a scenario like when the Harkonnen and Sardaukar overwhelm the Atreides. Of course in my map to win you should survive, but you will face an unstoppable force by the enemy as happen in the book.
-The duels: You can think in Gurney Halleck doing a last training fight with Paul Atreides. Instead two guys with knives and shields this is about a base vs base fight where the two combatants have similar resources (or almost) and no aditional bases/enemies.
-Own creations: Some levels are just battles to fill, mainly because in the book there isn't any type of "action" there, so I wanted to create a level with a fight. I can tell you the example when the Duke Leto arrives to Arrakis. In this campaing a weak Harkonnen captain, by his own, don't want to leave dune to his sworm enemies: the Atreides. The Baron doesn't care, the Emperor neither... the duke will be one to defeat this small threat by himself (helped by Paul, as the player is always Paul).
-The weirds: The Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohian show to Paul a box which brings pain and then place a needle in his neck... How to convert this to a RTS game? Well, check it out by yourselves since it is the first level of this campaing! Just a warning... don't retreat or the Gom Jabbar will kill you!

Here some images:
Frank Herbert 1.PNG
Paul Atreides Vs Gurney Halleck duel.

Frank Herbert 2.PNG
The Duke want to save the harverster.

Frank Herbert 3.PNG
The Harkonnen and Sardaukar attacking multiple Atreides bases.

Frank Herbert 4.PNG
Fremen ambushing smugglers harvesters.

Frank Herbert 5.PNG
Guerrilla warfare by Paul.

Download here:
Frank Herbert.rar
HOW TO INSTALL:
Unzip the file and copy every folder into the root of the game.
Any folders included will go to the path that it is suppose to go.
Do not copy any pgn (screenshots) nor the readme.txt (instructions).

Edited by Cm_blast
added download
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Szwagier said:

some1 errors in few mission, when game start or after timer down (mission when u can take starport for delivery)

What missions exactly?
I think you refer to mission 11 where you have a timer and a starport to capture. You are saying that the game crash after time runs out and you not capture that building, right?

Also, the mission 6 is the one which crash at the beggining, right?

If the answer is "yes", then be sure to download lastests dune2000.exe/launcher.exe in this very forum (my readme have the direct link to the post). The game crash because I use the "leave" event that the vanilla dune.exe can't handle.

Just using that dune2000.exe I mentioned the game should work fine (both gruntmod or vanilla game, but that file is needed).

21 hours ago, Adriano said:

It looks interesting, maybe slightly difficult.

I think this is my hardest campaing ever made (talking about a whole), but I didn't expect to players had problems so early.
Just remember that my maps usually have a lot of predefined reinforcements (you and enemy), so knowing where and how many of them appears the level will become more easy. When I play/test I pretend to not know where they are coming and I don't react until the "something under attack" to make sure the game is not unfair if you don't know the path the waves attacks.

Anyway, if you have lots of problems in mid-later levels, change to easy. All those early reinforcements are going to be cut to half, making the levels much more easy.

21 hours ago, Adriano said:

If you don't mind, I would like to use your map from this campaign to illustrate my post in this forum

You can.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Adriano said:

Quote from description:

"Note: For every 150 harvested spice, a new Fremen trooper will be automatically recruited through the Sietch."

Interesting idea, Cm_blast!

Thanks. Still has some problems like repairing a building when the money continue to drop to 0.

At least I added the "unit ready" voice sound effect everytime a Fremen is "recruited".

It is possible to repair buildings, when harvester just begin ... (how to say it?) upload spice to refinery. But, yes, repairing is not easy.

But, I suppose, this is not problem. Just feature of this mission.

14 hours ago, Adriano said:

It is possible to repair buildings, when harvester just begin ... (how to say it?) upload spice to refinery. But, yes, repairing is not easy.

But, I suppose, this is not problem. Just feature of this mission.

Yes, you click on repair, then the money reach 150 and goes to 1; the repair stops.

It is a small problem in exchange for the scenario I want. At least the voice saying "unit ready" everytime a Fremen is "recruited" avoid a bigger problem (all thanks to Klofkack, since his editor allows me to do that).

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Dark Wesker said:

This campaign is for professionals. Even more difficult. I can't beat the missions.

Sorry about that.

If it helps. Follow this order in the regular "building a base" type of map:
- First place a refinery as close as possible to the spice.
- Build barracks next. Do the upgrades and start building a good amount of troopers.
- Meanwhile troopers are being trained, builds two more refineries, again as close as possible to the spice (if possible, place the refineries in separated mining areas, so those areas last more and your harverster has less distance to drive.
- And from there just the heavy factory, some tanks, Gun turrets and some more troopers.
This works for almost every campaign and every mission.

If the problem is another mission tell me which, Maybe I can help.

Edited by Cm_blast

well, at least you beat some of them :P.Mission 6 is indeed hard because how fast pace is:

Spoiler

First, just take all the units on those advance outpost and retire them near the several entrances, near the 8 gun turrets since the rocket ones won't work.

Then, my suggestion is to split the primary buildings. I mean, for example, you can make the barracks to the left being the "primary" building (so troopers spawn there) and the light factory to the right being the "primary". This way you will always have some units waiting near the three entrances, which means spending less time to select a few units, moving them to the left, selecting other units, moving to the right... Just stand next to the gun turrets, so the turrets last longer and will help you.

After the game said so, retire all the units possible to the Palace. If your base is still big enough, the AI will take lots of time to destroy everything else, so defending this position is easy until the time runs out.
And of course, building non-stop.

Mission 8 is not that hard.

Spoiler

you only need to pay attention at your harverster checking for sandworms. Send 1 light infantry to explore the sand so you can see the sandworm coming early. When the creature is coming retreat the harverster (or move it into the rock area). You can have a dozen of light infantry in the edge to eventually send to sleep the sandworm.

Group together all the light infantry you can, so the Fremen attacks do less damage and when you already have a good defensive group, search for the enemy harverster to the right (the spice the Fremen will harverst is close to your base, so the harverster sooner or later will go that way). Then try to destroy the harverster, caring not to be crushed by the enemy, but even if he kill your units with the harverster, if you destroy it you already almost win the map, since no more Fremen will spawn.

For mission 9 you can rely on your ally.

Spoiler

Try to place one of your fremens (or the thumber, since that one is free) between your base and your ally base, but move it a bit to the north. This way when the enemy attacks he will kill your unit and then proceed to go against the nearest enemy: your ally.

Not abuse of this if you ally is about to died, but spreading the attention will make things easy. Also the harverster is also a weapon, so crush enemy infantry/sardaukar with it, so your units survive better.

Also, try to send the thumper as soon as your ally explore the area where the enemy harversters goes to miner spice. If the thumper die you recieve another for free, so try evertime you have one. If you are able to deploy the thumper and attrack the sandworm to eat the enemy, that will slowdown a lot the AI, making beating the map more easy.

Edited by Cm_blast

The mission 10 is not hard. But the mission 11 is very hard. No money for repair buildings. It's too many enemies. And they have a lot money if destroyed the refinery. And a long wait for reinforcement. It looks easy to destroy but you still need to defend yourself. The first time I lost starport, second High tech factory. If I can repair maybe i can survive. 

Mission 8 is not that hard.

On Easy mode maybe. But for me is hard.

Edited by Dark Wesker

25 minutes ago, Dark Wesker said:

The mission 10 is not hard. But the mission 11 is very hard. No money for repair buildings. It's too many enemies. And they have a lot money if destroyed the refinery. And a long wait for reinforcement. It looks easy to destroy but you still need to defend yourself. The first time I lost starport, second High tech factory. If I can repair maybe i can survive. 

The best option is to split your units and look what the enemy is sending. Every base builds just one type of units, so when the enemy send units you need to counter them. Place 2-3 siege tanks together to shred all the enemy infantry. and I suggest to place your missile tanks behind the walls, so enemy combat tanks will shoot at the wall instead (and place your light infantry/trooper/Fremen on the front, so the enemy tanks-missile tanks will shot at them, barely doing any damage).

And of course, if missile tanks are coming, you can send your quads to destroy them before the AI react (or they'll kill 2 quads while you destroyed 6 missile tanks).

Don't rush the enemy, for example the base with only troopers/infantry can be defeated by using only 3 siege tanks, you don't need anything more (the other units defend your buildings). The base with Quad/trikes can be defeated easily by sending some siege tanks, combat tanks and or troopers, so the missile tanks and quads can defend.

Those two are the most easy to destroy, so start for there. Also, attacking harverster will make the AI to try to defend it, so you can use this tactic to defeat the only-missile tank base (the way the map is designed will split a lot the enemy, so you can defeat those units one by one).

just remember this is a guerrilla warfare, small hit and run attacks, not a Full-army attack.

25 minutes ago, Dark Wesker said:

On Easy mode maybe. But for me is hard.

Not really. On easy your units cost less and build faster, but the enemies are the same and the sandworm is the same too. Just amass together all the light infantry, don't let the sandworm eat your harverster and you'll be fine.

And don't go for the enemy, wait for him. Only when they are in range click to attack or use the "guarding" command, but wait for them.

By the way, I am curious, what about mission 05? the one with lots of sandworms? You said you defeated that, so that was hard, very hard or...?

Edited by Cm_blast

just remember this is a guerrilla warfare, small hit and run attacks, not a Full-army attack.

It would be easier if the reinforcement arrive a bit soon.

And don't go for the enemy, wait for him. Only when they are in range click to attack or use the "guarding" command, but wait for them.

The problem is that they attacking too fast. Fremen are strong and they destroyed the harvester or barrack, I can't protect if i haven't money or units. The fight is not equal. For you maybe is easy. For me it's look too hard. 

By the way, I am curious, what about mission 05? the one with lots of sandworms? You said you defeated that, so that was hard, very hard or...?

Just lucky. I beat all sandworms.

Edited by Dark Wesker

7 hours ago, Dark Wesker said:

It would be easier if the reinforcement arrive a bit soon.

There are reinforcements every 2.5 minutes, I don't think I should fast them more. Also, you don't need a full big attack to defeat the enemy. Take the refinery and/or the factory and that's it, ignore the rest of the buildings.

The problem is that they attacking too fast. Fremen are strong and they destroyed the harvester or barrack, I can't protect if i haven't money or units. The fight is not equal. For you maybe is easy. For me it's look too hard. 

I don't know, Fremen never attack my harverster before 10-15 minutes into the game (when the near spice is depleted), only the sandworm eating my harverster.

Just lucky. I beat all sandworms.

Good to know, I have problems to win this map xD.

Sometimes your missions is easy. The mission 12 is (very) Easy and I was surprised. Even can play on hard mode.:D

There are reinforcements every 2.5 minutes

I also do not play on max speedI don't have a lot units to protect or attack. And I don't make any progress. This mission is difficult for me.

Edited by Dark Wesker

On 8/9/2017 at 5:08 PM, Dark Wesker said:

Sometimes your missions is easy. The mission 12 is (very) Easy and I was surprised. Even can play on hard mode.:D

You're weird xD. This specific map is hard because the enemy attacks for everydirection and because having 2 harversters in the same spice spot they just push each other (so at the end only 1 harverst and the other stay still).

But anyway, good to know that this was a easy map for you.

On 8/9/2017 at 5:08 PM, Dark Wesker said:

I also do not play on max speedI don't have a lot units to protect or attack. And I don't make any progress. This mission is difficult for me.

I am talking in real time, and in real time the player recieve 1 reinforcement or 1 delivery (Alternating) every 2.5 minutes.

Edited by Cm_blast