GoG has released Railroad Tycoon 2: Platinum and RRT3 and SMR

Gog now selling RRT2:Platinum

Also RRT3 and Sid Meiers Railroads

https://www.gog.com/news/release_railroad_tycoon_bundle

https://www.gog.com/game/railroad_tycoon_2

My RRT2:platinum CD is 647mb. Direct x takes up 15 mb, tropico demo is 173mb.

GoG download is 537.7mb. So safe to assume all the videos are included (GoG sometimes omits videos in their games to save space...)

Is the RT2 Platinum already patched to v1.56, or is it the original disk as sold?

Either way, it's looks like a way for players to get away from Steam. That makes it easy for them to use my modded version if desired.

Now if someone could just find the source code and resources so we could re-engineer the entire game and fix a couple bugs...

• 1 month later...

I have not played RRT2 for a long time.  I'm having to learn how to make maps again.

Now when I first got the game, I had a problem with the OS not accepting the game.  GOG helped me iron the kinks out of the RRT2 start up.

Now I'm almost up to speed and I'm working on a remake map.  Tried to pull up the cheat code so I could test the map.  Could not find the code.

GOG sent me something I can use to open the cheat code.  Have not as yet figured out how to use this tool.  Still working on the problem.

Now if I pull out a saved map to work on,  I get a notice to let something be allowed to change my computer settings.

If I press no the RRT2 game screen locks to the left of center and I get a notice, right of center, that I am not connect to the internet.  

That is true, I'm not.  Both windows lock solid and I have to restart the computer.   Now instead I click on the X (upper right of the notice)

and wait for any other allowed program to load before I start the RRT2 game.

Other than that everything seem to be working quite well.

Edited by Gwizz
missing word in text

If GoG requires an internet connection, then it's like steam. That means that we probably can't use my patch in place of its EXE. A byte count on the EXE will give us another clue (if it's different than the patched EXE from the CD version of the game, then it's probably incompatible).

BTW, when a windoze program locks, try alt-tab to switch out of it.

I got the GoG version. It doesn't need an internet connection. I have installed it on a Win 8.1 computer that never visits the internet. Worked like a charm first try. No issues with compatibility setting etc. 

Tried it with Jeff's modded EXE. Because he based it on the disk version, it will ask for the cd. So really you can't use Jeff's modded EXE if you only have the GoG version. Because I did, a few settings changes, run as administrator and compatibility to Win XP and it's working fine for me.

I have only tried loading a saved game and a quick test play with this version. I'm not sure what is going on with Gwizz. Perhaps you can tell us what the "something" is that wants to change your computer settings? I suspect another program entirely is causing a little interference, and not the GoG version of this game.

I've been able to start and run a number of maps.   Have yet to check Jeffre's Map interface.   I have window 10, 7 And a bit of XP on this OS.  

The notice that locked my windows screen did not give me much name information other than a delay and then the notice that the internet was turned off,

Blocking my progress.    The Portsoft Technologies also asked me to allow it to possibly affect my OS.  Pushing (No) works on it. 

I did install a new virus program (AVG) and deleted all of the parts of the two virus programs I was using on my OS.  Doing this allowed RRT2 to start.

Now I don't push the no buttons.  I push the X buttons (upper right corner) and the game starts and runs normally.  I have not used the Alt & Tab buttons.

When I used the Ctrl, Alt & Delete buttons I had to restart the computer.  AS stated above I now only push the X button to open and start the game.

I received an upgrade from GOG.  It is now installed.  I have not yet looked to see what it changes or affects.  I hope it is a simple Cheats link.

I want to thank those at GOG for the work they have done to rejuvenate Railroad Tycoon.

Gwizz

18 hours ago, MaglevForever said:

Tried it with Jeff's modded EXE. Because he based it on the disk version, it will ask for the cd. So really you can't use Jeff's modded EXE if you only have the GoG version.

Ah... So the GoG version is not an ISO that you would burn onto a disk. IIRC, the CD version simply looks for one little file, but I can't recall which one. What I do know is that a simple select-all and copy of what's visible on the disk is sufficient to produce a working "backup" disk good enough to install and run the game.

Well I can cheat now.   I now hit the Tab key and then type out one of the cheat codes and gazama something happens.  I don' know or not, if while playing with the 30 plus letter key code, I opened a door and a link opened and stayed.

Well mouse doddle, I have another problem.    About fininshed with a remake Map of the Heartland.  When I tried to take it out of the editor it refused to leave.  I tried two new Name extenders, (GM2 and GAM) Replacing the two.  Tried a couple more.  The map finally arrived as the game map but without loading anything.  No Houses, farms etc.  Didn't try buying trains.  

It must be something I did or didn't do.  The map works OK in the editor.  Didn't try placing industry etc. in the editor. Just track, stations and locomotives.  

I'm placing this here since someone just may have a solution.

Anyone know how the game handles the seeding of a map as it come out of the editor to become a game map?

The seeding didn't work for my new map.  Seeding does work for other completed maps I tried from the map files. 

Gwizz, I have tried loading up a map in the editor, making a few small changes including adding some new regions (side-note, Anyone know how to control region placement/size properly?), and I can save the map fine. Then I can start this map as a new scenario with my changes intact, no problems that I can see.

If you didn't adjust the seeding or city sizes, building densities, growth rates, or delete regions etc., I don't know why the map would suddenly refuse to seed the way it did before the modifications.

From my understanding, any time you save in the Editor gives a game map. I don't understand your phrase "take it out of the editor". What do you mean by that?

My meaning was to simply stop editing a map and turn it into a game. (map)

I started with the Heartland map.  took it to the editor. Renamed it and made many changes.  I saved it and I played it for a while. 

Seeding took place.  Again I took this played map back to the editor. Made more changes.   Started it as a game map.  

The map opened as a game map but this time without any seeding.  All of my changes worked fine.  Tried this process with Other maps. 

Seeding takes place normally.   I must have pushed a wrong command button.  

I vaguely remember failing to hit the OK button after hitting the save map button.     I've made over 100 maps and this has never happened before. 

I guess I just want to understand what happened so I can be more careful next time.    But, I guess there is a point where it is easier to start over.

Thanks for the reply

Forgot to answer your question.

Making a region is about the same as placing a city.  Normally regions are larger then a city and you can rank them from 1 to 200. 

1 = very small chance of and industry, etc starting up

200 = very good chance of an industry starting up within the region.

I will screeze a region by planting another extra region very close to it.

If you don't rank the extra region it will have no effect

I've forgotten But I think you can bulldoze a region's placement pin as well.

Edited by Gwizz
corrected Typos

Wow, I didn't even know you could open a partially played game in the editor to make a new map/scenario. You're playing with fire Gwizz.

When saving maps in the editor, the extension is added for you. You do not need to add an extension.

You were wise to change the name.

I've done a lot of map remakes from played games.  I've never liked slow starts.  It is a way to move time ahead.

I'm finding out it might not work on the latest edition of the game.  :cool:

Everything seems to be working OK now 

After I removed my two virous hunting progrms and about 20 more programs, that I wasn't using, the glitches stopped appearing.

The hint message that the history Folder was full necestated a cleaner hard drive as well.

That done, I spend some time on the Billion dollar map, Heartland after the dollar melted down. 

Another contributor to your seeding problem may have been the long-known bug where cities/regions sometimes fail to spawn buildings if the map has any to begin with. If you derive a new scenario from a partially played map, then you'll run into a lot of that.

You may have hit on the cause. 

I went back to the map folder and deleted all of the saved maps except the last saved map, the one that didn't seed.

I started the RRT2 game program and clicked on the editor to open that map that wouldn't seed.  It opened and it seeded correctly. 

I re-programed the map.  I now have only the math left to do, to complete the map.

I had saved the map 3 times today.  When I tried to open the third saved game, the map failed to seed again.  

Tomorrow I'll do the delete thing again on the first two of the saved maps and see what happens on the third saved map.  

I could also be running out of memory.  I may have to look at the program that records the percentage of my computer load.   

Thanks for your response.

Gwizz 

That did the trick.  As long as I keep the memory usage low the CPU can do its' job.

I balanced some of the programing and added a locomotive.   Restricted some of the industries and farming from the 5 major cities.

I started looking for trigger points that fit what I'm trying to do.  I"m able to use some of the programing from the Heartland map, But not much.

My next step is to hand write the math programing.  

• 2 years later...
On 5/9/2016 at 3:24 PM, jeffryfisher said:

Ah... So the GoG version is not an ISO that you would burn onto a disk. IIRC, the CD version simply looks for one little file, but I can't recall which one. What I do know is that a simple select-all and copy of what's visible on the disk is sufficient to produce a working "backup" disk good enough to install and run the game.

Are these things included now in the U.S. history zip? I am playing the GOG version through a port on a Mac, but I might be inclined to fiddle with it if I can play through some events of U.S. history remake.

On 7/27/2018 at 9:58 PM, Bossatchal said:

Are these things included now in the U.S. history zip? I am playing the GOG version through a port on a Mac

If I recall correctly, the US History zip includes a modded version of the v1.56 exe, which is the last patch of the RT2 Platinum CD exe. It requires the CD to run.

If you run US History without the modded exe, then the military loads won't exist at the time of the Civil War, so the race to deliver most wartime loads won't be very interesting. However, that's just one set of events among hundreds. The map should still play well I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone determined what version number the GoG release reports? Or if they fixed the demand errors in the exe or for ports in the scenarios? If not has anyone opened it in the hex editor to see how different it is?