Game freezes and Have to restart Computer again

Britt.Tebo

Every time I go into the game, after about 5 to 10 minutes, it will freeze and make me have to pull up task manager to restart the computer. It is the only way to get my computer to work again. I have the 1.6.2 version and have tryed to reinstall it, but that didn't change anything. I don't know what else to try or do.

Do you know how to find the game folder with the windows explorer? It is probably somewhere here C:/Program Files/Gruntmods/Dune2000

In there you will find dune2000.exe and dune2000-spawn.exe, right click->propterties->compatibility, make sure there is no compatibility mode set besides 16bit color

If there was no compatibility mode set or it still doesn't work then try to enable DxWnd via the config program, there is also a "Run In Window" option you can enable if playing in a window is acceptable for you (this way you can at least close the game without restarting the computer if something goes wrong), to change the size of the window you can change the resolution setting

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with the game freezing on Windows 10 64bit no matter which settings I use, and also I can't close the game when this happens, even when I'm in windowed mode because I cannot bring other windows up in front of the game any more when this happens. I can press CTRL+ALT+DEL and get the  screen where I can lock the account, open the task manager or log out/restart and the only thing that works is to log out and log on to my account again. I can also press ALT+TAB to bring up an overview of all open windows with the possibility to close them from there, but that also does not work on the game.

I could live with the game freezing from time to time, but not being able to just close it and restart again without having to log out of my windows account really makes it hard to enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2017 at 10:13 PM, Pherim said:

I have the same problem with the game freezing on Windows 10 64bit no matter which settings I use, and also I can't close the game when this happens, even when I'm in windowed mode because I cannot bring other windows up in front of the game any more when this happens. I can press CTRL+ALT+DEL and get the  screen where I can lock the account, open the task manager or log out/restart and the only thing that works is to log out and log on to my account again. I can also press ALT+TAB to bring up an overview of all open windows with the possibility to close them from there, but that also does not work on the game.

I could live with the game freezing from time to time, but not being able to just close it and restart again without having to log out of my windows account really makes it hard to enjoy it.

Well, same problem here (game freezing), still looking for solutions. But anyway you don't have to log out or restart your computer if you running win10. You can simply create a new desktop and kill dune process from it. How to do it? Simple steps.

GAME FROZE WUT DO?!

1. Hit Windows key + TAB key.
  2. Bottom right you would see + (create) New desktop. Hit that button.
  3. When on desktop 2 simply open task manager (either by right clicking on the taskbar or via ctrl+alt+del doesn't matter)
  4. Kill dune process
  5. ...
  6. PROFIT

Again as for the solution to freezing, haven't found it yet, above is the solution to kill the frozen process without restarting or logging off.

On 10.4.2017 at 10:23 AM, dfch said:

Well, same problem here (game freezing), still looking for solutions. But anyway you don't have to log out or restart your computer if you running win10. You can simply create a new desktop and kill dune process from it. How to do it? Simple steps.

GAME FROZE WUT DO?!

1. Hit Windows key + TAB key.
  2. Bottom right you would see + (create) New desktop. Hit that button.
  3. When on desktop 2 simply open task manager (either by right clicking on the taskbar or via ctrl+alt+del doesn't matter)
  4. Kill dune process
  5. ...
  6. PROFIT

Again as for the solution to freezing, haven't found it yet, above is the solution to kill the frozen process without restarting or logging off.

Great idea, I will try this next time it happens!

Freezing getting more & more often. The "every 10 mins" became "every 4-5 mins". Its unbelievably annoying.

The Win key+Tab method doesn't work at all.

I'm 99% sure that its SOUND DRIVERS PROBLEM.

Edited by iliast

Does it also happen when you play in window mode?

I had freezing too when I updated to windows 10, but it wasn't related to the game, it happened outside the game too sometimes while browsing the web. For the it was caused by outdated drivers.

You could try to update your drivers, it's a good thing to have the latest ones anyways. I used the tool from intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/4/2017 at 1:00 AM, FunkyFr3sh said:

Does it also happen when you play in window mode?

I had freezing too when I updated to windows 10, but it wasn't related to the game, it happened outside the game too sometimes while browsing the web. For the it was caused by outdated drivers.

You could try to update your drivers, it's a good thing to have the latest ones anyways. I used the tool from intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility

Thats what i said. I believe is audio driver problem. I didnt play in window mode. I will and i 'll inform u.

• 3 weeks later...

Newly registered to the site, and wanted to say I'm experiencing the same problem.  Game will run fine without any problems and randomly freezes, forcing me to quite literally hard shutdown my computer because I can't even CTRL-ALT-DEL out of the game =/   It's rather annoying and I really do enjoy playing Dune 2k again, it's such a blast of nostalgia from my childhood.  I wanted to ask if anyone has found any work arounds to this problem yet?

• 7 months later...

I have windows 10 and I tried playing the game on my computer but everytime I made it to the game start screen, it would spazz out. As soon as I clicked, it would turn into two smaller windows at the top and the colors would go all crazy. I went onto configure settings and un-checked the Disable Max Windowed Mode under video options and then it let me start playing the game. I just had to mess with the resolution a little bit to get the right size. Mine was also freezing all the time when I started playing the game so I tried what Fedaykin said which was to enable DxWnd via the config program and It works great now! Thanks!