Dune Cartoon concept Art

soapdx

Hopefully this isn't a double post;

Dune is one of those worlds that can be visited again and again, and you’ll discover new things every time you take another trip to Arrakis. The sentiment applies to the book (it’s one reason why I featured the title in Nerdist Book Club) and the film and television adaptations. Matt Rhodes, lead concept artist at Bioware, got sucked into Frank Herbert’s world last fall and decided to try his hand at bringing the characters to life. He was influenced by Alejandro Jodorowsky’s Dune (well, the documentary about the making of the film that never happened) and Tarsem Singh movies. Of course.

Dune-Fan-Art-2-12082015-615x247.jpg

The Atreides/Caladan

Dune-Fan-Art-3-12082015-615x231.jpg

The villains

Dune-Fan-Art-1-12082015-615x400.jpg

The Fremen/Arrakis

Source; http://nerdist.com/concept-art-imagines-dune-as-an-animated-film/

Source of the Source; http://mattrhodesart.blogspot.ca/2015/09/dune-now-with-some-color.html

I really would not mine Dune in a strongly stylized animation. There are tones of very nice looking, enjoyable western animations out there. Ok maybe not all perfect, but it's still great.

A while ago I told my wife I wish Game of Thrones (a song of ice and fire) has a strongly stylized animated version, that way they could reproduce dream sequences without a hitch, and many other things from the book the TV show is not able to show correctly due to limitations. Always figured animations was perfect for stories of epic scope and scale, it's all drawing, so you're not as limited.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ehh... not particularly fond of that specific style... but yeah, mainstream western animation nowadays is finally taking some hesitant steps into non-kids territory (something anime did more than three decades ago). Dune would be a pretty nice thing to use that for.

It's rather peculiar actually, how comics in the western world did progress to more adult themes, but animation never really followed that, like it did in Japan.

It's rather peculiar actually, how comics in the western world did progress to more adult themes, but animation never really followed that, like it did in Japan.

Maybe it's because there's a persistent stereotype in the Western culture that animation is "for kids"? It's not like there are/were no Western animation artists who target(ed) an adult audience, but this is clearly not the prevailing norm, at least for the general public. I have no idea how this came to be, but AFAIK the same logic never really applied to comics/graphic novels.

In Japan, the situation is entirely different because they had a rich tradition of visual art of their own before the arrival of Western comics and animation.

Ehh... not particularly fond of that specific style... but yeah, mainstream western animation nowadays is finally taking some hesitant steps into non-kids territory (something anime did more than three decades ago). Dune would be a pretty nice thing to use that for.

This is indeed something that has happened only in the past 10 years.

I think, the influence is from all the manga and its succes in the Western world.

Now we have Superman killing the Joker. The walking dead. etc.

• 2 weeks later...