D2K+ Site Redesign

Gruntlord6

I have decided to give the site a new facelift. The main goal of this redesign was to make the site feel more modern and to make it easier to update and maintain.  Some goals of the new system that were implemented already include:

• Automatic management of downloads
  • Streamlined mod submission
  • Streamlined contact form
  • Dynamic menus
  • Improved file and general site security
  • Search functionality
  • Standardization for post formatting
  • Better support for news articles
  • Improved download statistics
All of the above have been deployed and are currently working very well. Search functionality is particularly welcome, as it allows you to narrow down your search for content. For example, if I search for "Author: [aKa]FedaYkin", I will get every mod with [aKa]FedaYkin mentioned in its description, which is very useful if I enjoyed his previous work and wanted to follow up on it. Mod submissions are also something I am glad to introduce, as it makes submitting new mods much more accessible, which in turn makes it more likely new content will be available on the site.

Some things that are not currently available, but I would like to add:

• Support for video subscriptions (Youtube made an API change that broke the old sites code)
  • Online statistics via CnCNet
  • Better CSS for improved site design
  • Integration with the dune2k.com forum
The new site is currently being tested, you can visit it at the following URL: dev.d2kplus.com

The new site is still in development. With that in mind, it would be appreciated if you could report any issues you find with the new site at the contact page so that they can be fixed. The sooner issues are found and corrected the sooner we can switch to the new design. You can also feel free to let us know what you think about the new design, you input is greatly appreciated and is a great help in providing direction.

• Upvote 3

The new site is currently being tested, you can visit it at the following URL: dev.d2kplus.com

The new site is still in development. With that in mind, it would be appreciated if you could report any issues you find with the new site at the contact page so that they can be fixed. The sooner issues are found and corrected the sooner we can switch to the new design. You can also feel free to let us know what you think about the new design, you input is greatly appreciated and is a great help in providing direction.

Want to say, If I try to enter the page using Chrome tell me this.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

And 

No se puede establecer una conexión segura porque este sitio utilizar un protocolo incompatible.

The same thing appears in the gruntmods webpage. Happens since your change the style of the page.

Using an outdated version of firefox both pages works.

Want to say, If I try to enter the page using Chrome tell me this.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

And 

No se puede establecer una conexión segura porque este sitio utilizar un protocolo incompatible.

The same thing appears in the gruntmods webpage. Happens since your change the style of the page.

Using an outdated version of firefox both pages works.

Are you using windows XP?

I also use XP at the moment and it works with Firefox 42.0. It loads fast and without errors. As long as you do not use flash or other *** that would burden the loading it is fine. It is utter stupidy what is happening even on gov web pages with all that fancyful *** stuff making you need minutes to load a web page.

Yes, XP

Maybe try with firefox like athanasios. It sounds like even though you are using chrome, your browser is still unable to use the encryption keys that establish the SSL connection. I'll consider disabling the sitewide SSL, but XP isn't even being supported by Chrome after December.

I also use XP at the moment and it works with Firefox 42.0. It loads fast and without errors. As long as you do not use flash or other *** that would burden the loading it is fine. It is utter stupidy what is happening even on gov web pages with all that fancyful *** stuff making you need minutes to load a web page.

No plans to use anything silly or proprietary in the front end, load times are very important for user impressions.

• Upvote 1

Maybe try with firefox like athanasios. It sounds like even though you are using chrome, your browser is still unable to use the encryption keys that establish the SSL connection. I'll consider disabling the sitewide SSL, but XP isn't even being supported by Chrome after December.

Yes, with Firefox works well, so is not a big deal. I just say it in case that was something important. I can download things using Firefox.

Yes, with Firefox works well, so is not a big deal. I just say it in case that was something important. I can download things using Firefox.

It was a good point, something worth mentioning. XP users using chrome or IE won't be able to view any websites using new SSL ciphers (Gruntmods and D2K+ both use these).

I have a question from other point of view: Is it REALLY NEEDED to use SSL encryption on the D2K+ website? AFAIK, All the content of the site is fully public and there is no personal / sensitive data which need to be secured, so the encryption makes no sense.

I have a question from other point of view: Is it REALLY NEEDED to use SSL encryption on the D2K+ website? AFAIK, All the content of the site is fully public and there is no personal / sensitive data which need to be secured, so the encryption makes no sense.

For a download site it's important that people are able to verify they are actually connecting to the real D2K+, especially once established mod authors gain access to post their own mods. It also significantly improves search results from google and other search engines when you have it enabled on a site wide basis which helps keep the community expanding. There is also no slowdown in page rendering either,  so currently the only issue is windows XP users using Google Chrome or Firefox. Ultimately I think the tradeoff is worthwhile but I will take into consideration that at the very least a few members here still remain on XP.

Ultimately I think the tradeoff is worthwhile but I will take into consideration that at the very least a few members here still remain on XP.

It's funny, but I am reading this message now exactly under Win XP. :D

But usually actually I use Win XP for Internet surfing VERY seldom.

... if you use Internet Explorer!

What's that "Internet Explorer"? Never heard about it! :laugh:

Well if anyone is using IE then he deserves it! :wacko:

It should be used only one time: To download Seamonkey or Firefox! :D

XP may be not safe but you have only one more option available if you lack proper hardware: Linux. But Wine doesn't support everything (read portable games) the way I want it to work.

What's that "Internet Explorer"? Never heard about it! :laugh:

Well if anyone is using IE then he deserves it! :wacko:

It should be used only one time: To download Seamonkey or Firefox! :D

XP may be not safe but you have only one more option available if you lack proper hardware: Linux. But Wine doesn't support everything (read portable games) the way I want it to work.

You could always dual boot, leave the XP portion offline and use linux for everything but games.

• Upvote 2