[Release] Dune 2000 Map and Mission Editor v1.1

Klofkac

Hi all!
After a bit longer time I'm coming with a new release of D2kEditor. Not everything what I wanted is here, but I think there are enough new things worth a new release. The main part of this release is remake and improvement of Terrain editing mode and adding block presets for all tileset-specific blocks. I introduced a new "Block preset selection" window, which basically fulfils your requests for adding block selection like in Shai-Hulud editor, but in a bit different way. I hope you will like it how it is done. Furthermore I added possibility to configure tilesets and this way you will be able to easily use custom tilesets.

Direct download link: https://github.com/jkoncick/D2kEditor/releases/download/v1.1/D2kEditorv11.zip

Download page: https://github.com/jkoncick/D2kEditor/releases

Enjoy!

FULL CHANGELOG:
Fixed: Tried to fix the status bar cut-off (status bar is now okay hopefully)
Fixed: When a map is shifted, event positions were not shifted
Fixed: When saving Briefing, newlines were erroneously inserted where a line was only visually broken
Fixed: Error message when opening a map from commandline
Added: Key shortcuts for selecting event/condition type
Added: "Diff mode" in AI settings - only values which are different from default values are shown
Added: Several minor and cosmetic improvements

Remade terrain editing GUI and added possibility to configure block presets and other things for each tileset.
- You can paint spice in Terrain mode instead of Structures mode.
- Added new "Block preset selection" window where you can see all presets for selected group in the same order
  as how you select them with the keyboard. It can be displayed by clicking on current block, double-clicking on
  block-preset group or pressing space two times. Use right-click to change to next block variant, middle-click to
  display keyboard keys and Tab to change variant for all presets.
  If you set "HidePresetWindow" setting in D2kEditor.ini to 0, the window will stay open after selecting a preset.
- Added presets also all for tileset-specific blocks
- Each tileset has its own .ini file. There you can configure minimap colors, names of paint and block-preset groups,
  block presets and other things. This way you can easily add custom tilesets and tailor the editor for using them.

Upcoming:

- Release of new (Red Alert) tilesets for Dune 2000

- Improvements in Tileset Attributes editor

- Adding support for placing any structures for any side (i.e. Harkonnen palace for Atreides) using modified TILEDATA.BIN

• Upvote 2

I am using a bit the new version.

The "sand specials" is really a great thing. When someone needs to place things in the sand/rock to avoid the map being too flat/simple this specials is really handy. Just click and double space and I can see all the options instead searching in all the tileset.

Here some ideas.

I would like to suggest a "Cut-paste" to the "select mode/structres". For example, I place 2 enemy bases, but then I feel the two of them are too near, So I want to select all the land/structures of one base and moving it 6 squares up-3 squares left. If I do that I'm moving every thing yes, but some parts of land/structures are remaining in those 6x3 squares. (Shift map is not a option if I only want to move a portion of the map, not the whole map).

There is a "Mark impassable titles". How about a "Buildable titles"?

Sometimes I don't know exactly where I can place buildings/concrete/walls.

an example:

post-58652-0-60361400-1445263297_thumb.p (ingore the colour, I reach almost the limit of size allowed in the forum)

Not all of those squares are buildable, most are, but not al.

A feature I would like to see is some arrow (or similar) in the Reinforcement event (in map) to know which direction the Carryall is going to appera (always appears from the nearest side).

This means. in a 60x60 map, a reinforcement event --> X = 10 Y = 3 the carryall appears from the top.

If it is X = 3 Y=10 then the carryall appears from the left.

If your base is to the right, making the carryall appearing from the left he is going to drop the reinforcements and start fliying to the right (over your base). One player seeing this could think "Enemy reinforcements, I must prepare".

So when I want to drop reinforcements without the player know it, I make the carryall appearing from the top and fliying to the bottom.

This thing is not a must have. I can always do a simple math to know which side is the neariest, but if somehow can be implemented in the editor to make it more easy I would appreciate it.

Another post with a little issue.

In the mission settins window there is a line "DeathHandAccuracy" With a valor of 3.

I was doing some tests. 30 makes the missile miss by a lot, and 1 makes it almost 100% accuracy.

However, I read over here that a valor of 0 makes the DH 100% with no miss, but when I place the valor (and in the ini looks like this "DeathHandAccuracy=0"), the game crash as soon as I try to launch the DH.

i am missing something?

• Upvote 1

In the mission settins window there is a line "DeathHandAccuracy" With a valor of 3.

I was doing some tests. 30 makes the missile miss by a lot, and 1 makes it almost 100% accuracy.

However, I read over here that a valor of 0 makes the DH 100% with no miss, but when I place the valor (and in the ini looks like this "DeathHandAccuracy=0"), the game crash as soon as I try to launch the DH.

Thank you for your post. I was going to ask about accuracy values. And here answer is!

So range of accuracy from 1 to 30 ?

Why not 0-32 ? But THIS last question is not important. There is no practical sense to make very inaccurate missile. So even 30 is not usable (not 31 or 32) . But... did you try 31 or 32?

Added.

More important question. What is value of accuracy in original vanilla Dune2000?

3?

No, tgats how it is. Although i remember setting it to 0 with a hex editor and it didnt crash. Maybe i remember wrong, dunno fir sure, u can try

If you edit with hex editor the changes can be done for a single map or affect the whole game?

Thank you for your post. I was going to ask about accuracy values. And here answer is!

So range of accuracy from 1 to 30 ?

Why not 0-32 ? But THIS last question is not important. There is no practical sense to make very inaccurate missile. So even 30 is not usable (not 31 or 32) .

I just wrote 30 for fun (and for see myself the behaviour with weird numbers). I don't know the max value admited by the game.

Also with -1 the DH barely appears on screen before landing in the top side.

I think the number is about the range the DH can land. This means, a value of 3 (default) the DH is going to fall between the square you selected and 3 squares to the right-left-up-down: a 7x7 area.

Here some images with the default valor:

Always launching the DH in the center of the starport

post-58652-0-18965800-1445696788_thumb.p

Here the DH lands 2 squares to the right (1 to the up)

post-58652-0-04645900-1445696795_thumb.p

Here lands almost 3 squares to the bottom (1 to the left)

post-58652-0-77293700-1445696800_thumb.p

And here lands in the worst case scenario. 3 to the left, 3 to the up (rarely lands here, but I had luck to show in the image)

post-58652-0-65997300-1445696806_thumb.p

In summary. Blue is the square I choose. green dots are the valor "3" from "DeathHandAccuracy", and the square in black is all the area where the DH is going to land.

post-58652-0-25664100-1445696813_thumb.p

Making the DH with a valor of 1 the Black area will be all the starport, although if land in the corner the Starport can survive.

• Upvote 1

Thank you very much, Cm_blast!

Your answer is very good! Detailed. Special thanks for pictures.

To be honest, I didn't asked myself "what that number really means?" until know. Toying with the DH numbers the idea of "number = range" came to my mind.

Day after day I deepened a little more into the .ini files from the klofkac new editor, always learning something new.

I just wrote 30 for fun (and for see myself the behaviour with weird numbers). I don't know the max value admited by the game.

Also with -1 the DH barely appears on screen before landing in the top side.

I think the number is about the range the DH can land. This means, a value of 3 (default) the DH is going to fall between the square you selected and 3 squares to the right-left-up-down: a 7x7 area.

Of course, if 30 is quantity of squares, then there is no sense to use such values. The values that much bigger than 3.

Thanks, I understand now.

So range of accuracy from 1 to 30 ? Why not 0-32 ?

I was slightly inaccurate here. I mean a number divisible by 8.

But if the number is 32, then range is 1-32.

If range begins from 0, then 0-31.

This post is for Klofkac.

I learnt about the event type 6 - Set Build Rate.

Right now this event let you to choose the player (house) and there is a Unknown box. Now I know exactly what means.

First. In the IA section (mission settings windown)  there is a box with "UnitBuildRate". This number is how fast/slow the IA builds.

A lower number makes the IA build faster.

So I did this:

Atreides IA -->  UnitBuildRate = 1500 (1500 is 1 minute).

with the events and conditions windown I create and event like this:

Set Build Rate = Atreides

Unknown = 500 (20 seconds)

(Timer = 3 minutes)

Assuming the Atreides only have barracks, this happens when I launch the level:

the Atreides train an infantry per minute until after three minutes. From that moment the IA builds a new infantry every 20 seconds.

So, the Unknown box just add a new "UnitBuildRate" to the enemy. knowing this you can rename "Unknown" for "New UnitBuildRate" (for example) when you release a new version of the editor.

Unfortunately, I still don't know how the "Set Attack Building Rate" Event works.

I did several test with several options but no clue how that event exactly works.

Doesn't it work the same way? I mean it sets a new attack interval for the AI. This way you can change the frequency of AI attacks.

I think i used both when creating my sandstorm missions (which i have to release soon but im such a lazy ass :d ), and they worked fine. At least SetUnitBuildRate, that worked 100%

Doesn't it work the same way? I mean it sets a new attack interval for the AI. This way you can change the frequency of AI attacks.

I think i used both when creating my sandstorm missions (which i have to release soon but im such a lazy ass :D ), and they worked fine. At least SetUnitBuildRate, that worked 100%

I tried lots of things but no luck.

But Was a weird thing. "Set attack building rate" with a number of 0 and the Atreides send the 100 tanks I placed to the enemy (unit spawn). Set to 2 only send a few.

Numbers 1,3,26,85,5000... send all of them.

numbers 2,10,107.... send a few of them.

But... later I just deleted the event and the Atreides send the 100 tanks in the first wave. RIght Here I just stopped because something weird was happening with the IA. Is better if I stop for a while and try again in a fresh map.

By the way, I think the set build Rate event only works in a temporal way. I remember in one of my maps that use it and seeing the IA use all the money until getting their silos empty, but when X minutes passe, their silos were to the half again (with "Timer > 10 minutes" then works forever).

Another post for Klofkac:

I found a problem with the filling part using the Bloxbat tileset.

Is easy to recreate.

"New map" (default size)

"Tileset" change it to Bloxbat

select rock and double click into the map.

Not all the squares are going to be bainted as rock, some tiles remains as sand. 

Just look at this minimap.

----- edit ----

¿How can I place my own "Area1"?

Although his use is unknown (or don't have any use) I would like to drag sometimes an area. For example, to look what rectangle is the "Danger zone" of an enemy.

Nevermin, I just discovered where the "area1" is, although I don't know how to created it yet.

Also. Thin and Thick spice is marked as "impassable tile". The one in the "title block selection" it is, but the one you use as the true spice isn't.

Edited by Cm_blast

Another post for Klofkac:

I found a problem with the filling part using the Bloxbat tileset.

Is easy to recreate.

"New map" (default size)

"Tileset" change it to Bloxbat

select rock and double click into the map.

Not all the squares are going to be bainted as rock, some tiles remains as sand. 

Just look at this minimap.

attachicon.gifminimap.PNG

I know about this. It's because the tile with index 0 (the one in top-left corner) is considered being "Clean sand" in all tilesets but not in BLOXBAT. It's because there are wrong attributes set on that tile in BLOXBAT so I could not mark it as Clean sand. As a result, when you create a new map with BLOXBGBS and then switch to BLOXBAT and fill sand with rock then the tiles with index 0 will not be filled.

Possible solutions:

- Create a new map while BLOXBAT is selected.

- Open the new TileAtr Editor, open a tileset in the Editor folder, switch to Editor attributes and set no attributes to the first (top-left-most) tile. Do it for all tilesets.

I decided to mark the 0-tile as clean sand because it was actually used in some vanilla maps, but now I'm rather going to un-mark it.

¿How can I place my own "Area1"?

Although his use is unknown (or don't have any use) I would like to drag sometimes an area. For example, to look what rectangle is the "Danger zone" of an enemy.

Nevermin, I just discovered where the "area1" is, although I don't know how to created it yet.

Just for info, Defence areas are set up in AI settings, each side can have up to 5 areas. The starting units will move around this area (instead of standing still as normally) and defend it. It's different from the Danger Zone. That's all what I know about it, there are some unknown settings.

Also. Thin and Thick spice is marked as "impassable tile". The one in the "title block selection" it is, but the one you use as the true spice isn't.

Ah, that is a new bug in D2kEditor v1.1. I already noticed it and fixed it.

On 11/1/2015 at 12:10 AM, Klofkac said:

I know about this. It's because the tile with index 0 (the one in top-left corner) is considered being "Clean sand" in all tilesets but not in BLOXBAT. It's because there are wrong attributes set on that tile in BLOXBAT so I could not mark it as Clean sand. As a result, when you create a new map with BLOXBGBS and then switch to BLOXBAT and fill sand with rock then the tiles with index 0 will not be filled.

Possible solutions:

- Create a new map while BLOXBAT is selected.

- Open the new TileAtr Editor, open a tileset in the Editor folder, switch to Editor attributes and set no attributes to the first (top-left-most) tile. Do it for all tilesets.

I was imagining something similar.

Another soluction (for people don't want/know how to use TileAtr):

Open editor

Tileset - Bloxbat

New map.

This way that tile isn't selected when the editor create the new map.

On 11/1/2015 at 12:10 AM, Klofkac said:

Just for info, Defence areas are set up in AI settings, each side can have up to 5 areas. The starting units will move around this area (instead of standing still as normally) and defend it. It's different from the Danger Zone. That's all what I know about it, there are some unknown settings.

I just did some test to know how is supose to work the Area1 thing and works like this.

When the player step into the Defence Area1 of Fremen (H4v1 map, North Sietch) with any unit then all the Fremen preplaced (with no autonomy) start to behave like a regular "unit spawn/guarding". So they are going to move freely around the Sietch. Guarding it.

Doesn't matter if the preplace units are outside the defenceArea. 

I added some missile tanks in another part of the map and after some seconds they start moving to the Sietch.

On 11/1/2015 at 12:15 AM, Klofkac said:

And here is another preview of upcoming features:

That's pretty cool.

Works for Sietch and the modified outpost too?

Oh, and I see 8 Raiders There. Are you adding "Sandworm"?

Hey, what about the grenadiers? And the Multiplayer-Sardaukar?

Are you going to add them too?

By the way, the editor is giving a pop-up error like this. I don't know if you are aware of this.

Steps to reproduce it:

-Open editor

-Terrain tab

-Click in "paint mode"

-Structures tab

-Press "M" in your keyboard (doesn't matter if you click in "windtrap" and then press M).

-Error appears.

If in the terrain tab "Block mode" is selected the error doesn't appear, but in "select mode" or "paint mode" the error appears.

I am getting this error lots of times because I press a lot of letters to choose units. "T" for trooper, "Q" for quad, "MI" for missile tank "pa" for palace, etc...

With previous versions didn't happen.

Edited by Cm_blast

That's pretty cool.

Works for Sietch and the modified outpost too?

Oh, and I see 8 Raiders There. Are you adding "Sandworm"?

Hey, what about the grenadiers? And the Multiplayer-Sardaukar?

Are you going to add them too?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, no... I tried to place MP Sardaukar on a map (adding it into TILEDATA.BIN first ofc) and I got an error when starting the game. So I decided not to add it, you can use normal Sardaukar instead.

By the way, the editor is giving a pop-up error like this. I don't know if you are aware of this.

attachicon.giffocus.PNG

Steps to reproduce it:

-Open editor

-Terrain tab

-Click in "paint mode"

-Structures tab

-Press "M" in your keyboard (doesn't matter if you click in "windtrap" and then press M).

-Error appears.

If in the terrain tab "Block mode" is selected the error doesn't appear, but in "select mode" or "paint mode" the error appears.

I am getting this error lots of times because I press a lot of letters to choose units. "T" for trooper, "Q" for quad, "MI" for missile tank "pa" for palace, etc...

With previous versions didn't happen.

Ah. I should have missed something. But I was not getting this error. I will definitely look into it and try to fix it. Thanks for your report.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, no... I tried to place MP Sardaukar on a map (adding it into TILEDATA.BIN first ofc) and I got an error when starting the game. So I decided not to add it, you can use normal Sardaukar instead.

Ah. I should have missed something. But I was not getting this error. I will definitely look into it and try to fix it. Thanks for your report.

Shame. The MP Sardaukar is not a big deal, is just they are weaker (have slower ROF).

Thanks for listening/reading me.

His problem being the weird rendering of the program or what? I dont see any other issue. I never had resolution problems with the newer versions of the editor.

My God, he is full of adware :/ offtopic, but talk about adware:

• 2 weeks later...

One simple question: In D2kEditor, shall I swap "Structures" and "Terrain" tab so that Terrain becomes the primary one? Or leave it be?
The Structures tab is the primary one due to historical reasons: in early time, the Editor's main purpose was to place buildings on a map and terrain editing was added later as an additional feature. But now it's no longer true and when you start a new map you usually start with terrain.

Btw new release is coming :)

• Upvote 1

One simple question: In D2kEditor, shall I swap "Structures" and "Terrain" tab so that Terrain becomes the primary one? Or leave it be?

As you wish.

I use "Structures" perhaps more often. Because I prefer to change ready maps. So I usually do something with "Structures" first, and then I use "Terrain".