south africa

This is a query about the South Africa map (rebuilding after world war 2 etc). I have downloaded the version which claims to have the gold 'fix' but despite satisfying all the criteria for getting gold I still cant even get the bronze. I am 99% sure the map is at fault and not my game playing. Its frustrating because its a good map. Has any one else tried this scenario and got it to work as it should do?

I worked out what the problem was. The Cape Town connection event had a double up on the effects.

Set Company Variable 3 to 1,

PLUS

Add 1 to Company Variable 3.

Result was that Company Variable now =2 and the trigger condition (=1) fails for all medals. I removed the second effect from the following file. Or, if you understand what to do, you can easily fix it yourself in the editor. Happy railroading!

----------EDIT----------

Fixed file is here: http://forum.dune2k.com/files/file/736-south-africa/

Edited by MaglevForever

Well done. It's amazing to me how many event trigger and effect bugs there were in the maps that made it into distribution. I think that many of them were home-grown and not exhaustively tested before being bundled. I don't say that to criticize but to remind us to put map-bug high on the list of probable reasons for map troubles.

No worries. Glad it worked.

I was lucky to find the problem. I tried a score of other things and was about to give up, but I figured that my testing was eliminating other possibilities so I figured why not check the connection events which appeared to be working ok going by the ledger and the newspaper that shows up. Just a simple error, but can still break things.

PS:

If an admin reads this, the version in the downloads section on this site could be updated with the file I uploaded.

Yes, that's the one.

I didn't include the readme in the first zip file I uploaded. Here's one with the readme included once I updated it to call this version 1.2. The size difference is otherwise just in the compression.

----------EDIT----------

Worthless link removed. The version in the download section has been updated. :)

Edited by MaglevForever

• 4 months later...

Hi there.

A couple of questions. :)

I have been trying to download either of the .zip files to fix this map. No luck yet.

I am hoping that this will fix the issue I have been having. How do I get to buy industry on this map? I used to play this games years and years ago, but not for like ever. I was very happy to find it installed on an old drive that I was looking through, so is now eating all sorts of my time up :D :D . When I click on an industry, there is no buy button. I have tried all difficulty levels, and all areas of the map, same thing.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the zip files. Thanks to Gobalopper, the version in the Downloads section has now been updated with the corrections I made. Use the link in his post to get there. Essentially the zips are outdated and I will remove them soon.

As far as buying industries, there are two things that may not allow that:

1. Difficulty level. Industries can only be purchased on Hard, Expert, or Custom with an "Expert" Industrial Model selected. If you didn't know already, the "OPTIONS" button right below the "MAP" button which is used to select a map brings up customizable difficulty options.

2. Map setup restrictions. When a map is opened in Editor mode, Map Options -> General Restrictions can be used to do many things such as disabling bonds, requiring unconnected track. One of the options is to disable industry buying.

I can buy industries on this particular map so it's not the second issue. Please also be aware that you must be chairman of a company before you are able to purchase an industry. Most of the time, that means starting a company. Make sure you start a company before clicking on the industry you wish to purchase. The updated version wont make a difference with this, but after fulfilling all the objectives you now receive a medal. Good luck!

Well, some RT3 games give the player a cash boost at year end as a percentage of the industry profits the company earned. In theory this should work in RTII as well. Just require a bit of eventing. Other way would be to have a separate company that the player owns at game start for the industry investment business. Would be complicated to event cash equals to purchasing power every so often and transfer the profits to the player's account, but with a bit of work it could likely be done in some fashion.

I looked in the Editor3 text file at the available Effects to do a quick check if this might be possible in theory. Did you ever use "Territory Allow Building Buy" with the options of All or Nothing? I don't see this particular effect in the in-game Effects list. Maybe it wasn't included which would lead me to conclude that it probably doesn't work. But who knows what would happen if one hacked a map file to try to use it?.?.?

Edited by MaglevForever