[Release] TileData Editor

Klofkac

Hi!

I looked into TILEDATA.BIN file (which is located in Dune2000\Data\bin folder) and found out that this is the file where the mapping "Special Value" -> "Building/Unit type" is stored. For example it tells that Special value 4 is Atreides Wall, 715 is Mercenaries Starport and so on. The file format is pretty simple so I made a simple editor for it:

TileDataEditor.zip

You need to place TILEDATA.BIN inside the editor folder and then you can open it and edit whatever you want.

By editing TILEDATA.BIN file you can do things like this:

- Place a building/unit for a side which doesn't normally own that building/unit on your map (like Harkonnen palace for Atreides, Devastator for Ordos and so on)

- Place buildings/units for 8th player (Sandworm) for which you could not place anything

8HZV0TO.png

In Map editor you need to manually set the Special Value which you want to place (and activate "Show unknown specials" setting).

I will most likely add support for placing all possible buildings/units into Map editor, but not now because it will be a bit of work.

And one more thing - The best thing to do is to make some new "Standardized" TILEDATA.BIN file which would support all possible buildings/units for all players and which would be distributed with Dune2000 patch. So that everybody can make and play maps with these new possibilities. That wouldn't be so easy because some unused specials ale already randomly placed in several Vanilla maps so it could cause these maps to be broken.

Enjoy!

• Upvote 4

Yea I found that out some time ago, Map editor value * 4 and you get to internal game id, there is a lot of -1 (enough space to add all the missing stuff)

Oh yes, I remember you mentioned something like this.

In TILEDATA.BIN, Thin/Thick spice are -1's and some miscellaneous objects (player start, spice blooms) are stored as "Harkonnen Sandworm". So probably these things are hard-coded in the game. Could you possibly find out/look into code if some unknown values used in some maps (see http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/26949-unknown-special-values-740-and-higher-found-in-official-maps-research-needed/) have any meaning/function?

For example it tells that Special value 4 is Atreides Wall, 715 is Mercenaries Starport and so on.

(...)

That wouldn't be so easy because some unused specials ale already randomly placed in several Vanilla maps so it could cause these maps to be broken.

Can you advice any safety range for new values? I try to use 10, for example.

Can you advice any safety range for new values? I try to use 10, for example.

That would need to check all official maps and reject all numbers which are placed in them. For example, open A6V2 and activate "Show unknown specials" and then you will see a big mess with randomly placed values. None of them can be used. But I believe there will be still enough free values we can use.

well, those are the only hardcoded ones. All other values are stored in TILEDATA.BIN, if the value in TILEDATA.BIN is -1 then it's unused. So I guess all these random special values you found are unused

Ok, nice to know. I personally also thought that they had no function because I was a bit experimenting with AI behavior and did not see those specials affected it at all.

But I still wonder why they are placed quite systematically in enemy bases. Maybe it was some planned or later-removed feature.

Btw do you think you could add support for static crates?

I try some things.

Choam frigate makes several rounds (near 3 ¾ ) and after that game is crushing.

It is funny to place alone ornithopter. It “feels” enemies only when they very close to him (to ornitopther shadow on the ground). After that ornitopther starts to bombs BUT for long distance! Much longer than needed.

So it is possible to use ornitopthers for unexpected (but not very dangerous) traps.

And thanks for your answers!

So I created a program which opened and read all official maps and found out which values were ever used and which were not used at all:
values.txt

Values marked with X are already placed in some map(s) and cannot be used for new buildings/units, the other values are free and can be used.

• Upvote 1

open tibed  look at carryal ,  set primary weapon   missile tank pri and save .

My game is crushing. :(

There are two carryals in Tibed: simply "carryall" and "carryall2".

If I play Atreides, then if I choose simply "carryall" nothing happen. If I choose "carryall2", then carryall really starts fire. But when first time harvester needs carryall (green arrow on harvester), then game is crushing immediately.

I test it in Multiplayer game (practice), Atreides.

But this thing works very well with alone ornithopter!

Added.

I used only Tibed and Map Editor for carryalls. Not THIS program "TileData Editor".

In TileData Editor, Atreides Carryall is 192. and in Map Editor it is 192 too. I cannot see difference so.

Nuclear_harvester, excuse me, I suppose this is off-topic, because, how I can understand, you don't use the program "TileData Editor" to create Carryalls.

well what message u get during crash

No messages. Black screen and return to OS.

I specially install new copy of game today to test your proposition. Gruntmod Edition rev.9.

Actually this is not problem for me, but it is just interesting, -- have you ever done this successfully? I mean, do you really create Carryall with rockets? Does it successfully work?

Or are you just talking about theoretical idea?

i did carryal with  missile launchers .before and  was   working as intended but couldnt workout how to make the carryal  ability to be controlled by player . so i gave up  it was eventually crashing with this message after while

trying to access side out of range  [11]  it crashs when carrier is built. tried with different weapons  but same error code [11] so i assume carryal has no hardcoded  weapon slot

as for tiledata editor   it lacks of crate editing i.e placing them in missions  in red alert 1   crates were under destroyed buldings   wondering if  we could place static crate  one-use 

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I made modified TILEDATA.BIN file with support for all building/unit types for all sides as well as support for 8th side.

I tried not to use any special value which is used in any mission so this should be safe to use with all Vanilla maps. And this will probably become a "standardized" file which would be distributed along with D2k Patch or D2kEditor so that anybody can making maps using the new features.

tiledata.zip

Here is download. There is also a test map - template.map, which is a showcase of all supported buildings/units. I need to make a picture from the whole in-game map screen and use it in D2kEditor as a new "structures.bmp" file. The only problem are stealth units which are not visible on the map at all. Carryalls will be placed under ornithopters. Anybody willing to help me with this?

• Upvote 1