[Release] Dune 2000 Map and Mission Editor v1.0

Klofkac

Hello all!

D-Day is finally here and I'm releasing new version of Campaign map editor, now with complete and brand new Mission editor.

Download:

D2kEditorv10.zip

CHANGELOG:

Added: "Smooth rock/dunes edge" feature:
       - Select "Paint Rock" or "Paint Dunes", and then Shift-Click somewhere onto the edge of rock or dunes area.
         All the edge will become smoothed: the rock/dunes tiles neighbouring with sand are turned into edge tiles.
       - The smoothing process starts in the point you click on and continues in the counterclockwise direction.
       - The process ends when any obstacle is encountered. That means you need to click onto appropriate tile.
       - The smoothed edge sometimes won't look as good as if you made it manually.
Added: New editor-specific tileset attributes are used in order to make the "Smooth edges" feature work properly.
       These attributes are also used in "Fill area" feature. Modified TILEATRx.BIN files are distributed with the editor.

(New version of Tileset attributes editor will also be released soon)
Added: Ice has its own color on minimap
Added: You can drag .map files into editor window to open them
Added: Copy&Paste feature: You can copy and transfer selected block between two instances of the editor
Added: New key shortcuts for spice (ctrl+Q, ctrl+W) and selecting player (Num 0 - Num 6) in Structures mode
Added: Map name is shown in window title
Added: Program now stores persistent settings in D2kEditor.ini file:
       - Editor window position and size is preserved when you close and open editor again.
       - Game path is is stored in ini file and can be edited.
       - Several default values are stored in ini file and can be edited.
       - Several preferences are stored in ini file and can be edited. More preferences will be possibly added in future.
Added: Tileset window is vertically resizable

Complete Mission (.mis file) editor was implemented. Program was renamed to "Dune 2000 Map and Mission Editor".
- Two new windows were added: "Mission settings" and "Events and conditions"
- Added support for map .ini file features (supported by FunkyFr3sh's Dune 2000 Patch and Mission launcher)
- Event editor provides complete tabular overview of events, with detailed information about events and their conditions.
- Events can be easily manipulated (move up/down, insert event, delete event, duplicate event etc.)
- "Create common events" feature: You can quickly create events like Harvester replacement, or add flag to run the event only once.
- Added event and condition notes (stored in map .ini file). If you set note to a Flag condition it is displayed like Flag name.
- You can directly edit Message text in event editor (if map .ini is used)
- You can easily set reinforcement (and other event) position by using "Go to map" and then clicking into map. You can also
  drag event markers in map editor to move the events. Double-click on event marker to show the event in Event editor.
- You can easily edit all AI properties (which are known). The list of AI properties (and some other configuration) is stored
  externally and can be modified.
- Added "Mark defence areas" feature (they are stored within AI and known uses are only in A4V1 and H4V1 Fremen bases).

Tips: Use F10, F11, F12 to switch between windows. Use Enter to apply event/condition changes. There is no Undo feature for mission editing - you can save and then reload map to undo unwanted changes.

I'm thanking FunkyFr3sh for making the MisEditor (modified Dune2000.exe which can edit AI in .mis files) and discovering the AI properties inside Dune2000.exe. Without them AI segments in .mis files would probably remain insoluble. Also thanks for patching Dune2000 and adding plenty of new features.

Credits also go to mvi who reverse-engineered .mis files and the principle of events and conditions and created the original Mission editor.

I'm looking forward to your comments and also new Missions where you can now utilize the full new potential of editing and modding possibilities.

• Upvote 5

Nice work! I know earlier you said auto placing the cliffs would be hard to implement, but do you have any plans to try and make it work? Also, in my opinion, at this point the only thing that Shai-Hulud has better is the ability to choose entire blocks instead of selecting them right from the tileset. I know you can already do this by pressing the keys, but I think having a window where you can visually see them would be much better.

I haven't had the chance to try out the mission editor or this release of the program, but the progress on it looks fantastic.

Looks nice, got one question about those TILEATRx.BIN files tho, can you make a version of the editor for all the online players without those? In online games everyone needs to have the same files, else the game will go out of sync. Pretty much all the .bin files need to stay original to keep the game compatible to the original 1.06

Looks nice, got one question about those TILEATRx.BIN files tho, can you make a version of the editor for all the online players without those? In online games everyone needs to have the same files, else the game will go out of sync. Pretty much all the .bin files need to stay original to keep the game compatible to the original 1.06

Well, you misunderstood. Only editor uses modified TILEATRx.BIN files, the game doesn't need them at all. The editor has its own copies of these files in tilesets folder and you don't need to copy them into game folder (data/bin).

To be more precise, I added completely new attributes (I exploited free bits in 32-bit attribute value, because the game uses only 7 bits).

This is outstanding man, very well done! I have a question though, how do I add more strings in the Mission Settings string ID section? I only have one space for a single string now. And if I set an ID there to 0, it will overwrite the original 0 entry from text.uib for this particular mission? Thanks for answers.

EDIT: The program is great, very handy, it just needs one more thing to be able to 100% replace shai-hulud imo: the cliff creation should be easier. I don't know if a cliff generator like the one for rock edges is possible, it would be awesome if it was, but if not, can you make it so that we can select the cliff blocks like in shai-hulud? I understand your keyboard shortcut idea and is good, but most people (including myself) would find it more comfortable to have a visual selector. It takes time to get used to the keyboard shortcuts and right now i'm wasting a lot of time trying to get the cliff block I want from the keyboard shortcuts :D

EDIT 2: I've made the first mission of my war of assassins expansion pack with it, i can say that the overall time i needed to spend for mission creation was much less than with the old editors. Adding events became a piece of cake, you can do it very fast. Terrain editing became faster too, especially with rock edge smooth and spice fill area. Placing cliffs is a bit more difficult than in shai-hulud imo, but overall your editor beats all others by far. Great job@ :)

Thank you all guys for your feedback. I'm glad to see it really helps you make your missions easier and faster. My current plan is to take a bit rest, but I will do some bug fixes and enhancements in future.

Nice work! I know earlier you said auto placing the cliffs would be hard to implement, but do you have any plans to try and make it work? Also, in my opinion, at this point the only thing that Shai-Hulud has better is the ability to choose entire blocks instead of selecting them right from the tileset. I know you can already do this by pressing the keys, but I think having a window where you can visually see them would be much better.

I haven't had the chance to try out the mission editor or this release of the program, but the progress on it looks fantastic.

This is outstanding man, very well done! I have a question though, how do I add more strings in the Mission Settings string ID section? I only have one space for a single string now. And if I set an ID there to 0, it will overwrite the original 0 entry from text.uib for this particular mission? Thanks for answers.

EDIT: The program is great, very handy, it just needs one more thing to be able to 100% replace shai-hulud imo: the cliff creation should be easier. I don't know if a cliff generator like the one for rock edges is possible, it would be awesome if it was, but if not, can you make it so that we can select the cliff blocks like in shai-hulud? I understand your keyboard shortcut idea and is good, but most people (including myself) would find it more comfortable to have a visual selector. It takes time to get used to the keyboard shortcuts and right now i'm wasting a lot of time trying to get the cliff block I want from the keyboard shortcuts :D

EDIT 2: I've made the first mission of my war of assassins expansion pack with it, i can say that the overall time i needed to spend for mission creation was much less than with the old editors. Adding events became a piece of cake, you can do it very fast. Terrain editing became faster too, especially with rock edge smooth and spice fill area. Placing cliffs is a bit more difficult than in shai-hulud imo, but overall your editor beats all others by far. Great job@ :)

Hmm, I see that you are missing the select-block-from-list feature like Shai-Hulud has. To be honest, this feature was on lowest place in my priority list. D2kEditor provides alternative way to select blocks - you can seect any block you want directly from the tileset. Press space and select block with mouse (you no longer must complicately select proper size presets and furthermore you can now resize tileset window as you want). Once you learn the layout of blocks it becomes not-so-very-hard.

And there are also that key presets. I personally can make cliffs with them extremely fast. I understand it's hard for you to find proper key on keyboard for the block you want, but I tried to make the layout as much logical and intuitive as possible. When you remember where are which blocks or understand the system, I believe you will be able to make cliffs extremely fast too.

And about strings. The strings you specify will override strings from text.uib for that one map. In GUI there is only one row visible, but you can add more rows by pressing Insert.

I can add this to D2K+ if you would like, just PM me what you want me to put for the news post.

Yes I'd like. I will write up some text, but just not now.

I downloaded the editor but I didn't tried yet. I have it separated from the all other versions I downloaded, some day will "play" with it.

With the early version you uploaded time ago I did something couldn't did before: changing the tech level of the player in mid game.

Now with this full release maybe is possible to do more things.

The first time I created a edge for a land I need lots of time pressing random keys because I didn't know where the part I want were (I used the image with all the clifts and their letters assigned to help me).

But after doing some lands you can learn easily were they are, I can remember how "15zb" are the corners, and from 1 to 5 all are "top clift" and "z to b" low clifts.

Also the first left 5 keys in every row from the keyboard are the most common type of clifts and the less used (half rock-sand, end of the clift, narrow passage of soldiers) are all in the right side of the keyboard.

• Upvote 1

Ah alright. Btw I tried using the set Tech level event, i set it to 0 but the buildings didnt get disabled, and i could only build light infantry. Setting it to 1 allowed me to still build tanks and everything i could before. Initial tech level was 7. Is that event buggy?

Ah alright. Btw I tried using the set Tech level event, i set it to 0 but the buildings didnt get disabled, and i could only build light infantry. Setting it to 1 allowed me to still build tanks and everything i could before. Initial tech level was 7. Is that event buggy?

Maybe isn't possible doing that because in the original game is always a flat tech level. I did the opposite, start a level with tech 1 and increase it to level 2, and the upgrade in the barracks appears and I could recruit troopers (I did this in my mini campaing). 

If you give the player a heavy factory in a game with tech 1 and then increase to 3, you still can't build tanks (at least until you make an upgrade in your barracks/light factory, then yes, you can). 

Seems that the "upgrade" reset the tech or something. Try to make the barracks upgrade after you change the tech in mid game to 0 and then look if the tank/buildings still can be builded. 

When you shift the map in what ever direction, the map is moved fine, but the event coordinates are not changed. Could you make it so that they are shifted as well? 

When you shift the map in what ever direction, the map is moved fine, but the event coordinates are not changed. Could you make it so that they are shifted as well? 

Oh, I totally forgot about that! Good notice!

When more bug reports/improvement requests pile up, I will make a new small release, like 1.1. I personally already found several minor bugs. Of course I will add support for newly supported event types.

• Upvote 2

This is something that I've noticed a long time ago. The status bar at the bottom is slightly cut off, and when you resize the window vertically, the bar becomes detached from the bottom and can become more covered up or uncovered depending on which way you resize it. Moving your mouse on to where the map is rendered or resizing the window horizontally will set it back to normal. 

Pictures

Full screened

p8rjokh.png

Windowed

KT0GXBf.png

Resized down to uncover bar

tfNqAps.png

When set back to normal

sCp7l0v.png

Resized up to cover bar

ai3gnLw.png

When set back to normal

oWMPdn0.png

This is something that I've noticed a long time ago. The status bar at the bottom is slightly cut off, and when you resize the window vertically, the bar becomes detached from the bottom and can become more covered up or uncovered depending on which way you resize it. Moving your mouse on to where the map is rendered or resizing the window horizontally will set it back to normal. 

Well, I know very well about this bug from the very beginning of D2kEditor development. I was trying hard to fix it but then I gave up because I probably cannot affect it in any way. I think it's a Windows's bug of rendering the status bar or Delphi's bug. But for me it works just fine, but I do not use Win7 Aero themes. Can you try switching to Classic theme and check if it is still bugged?

Well, I know very well about this bug from the very beginning of D2kEditor development. I was trying hard to fix it but then I gave up because I probably cannot affect it in any way. I think it's a Windows's bug of rendering the status bar or Delphi's bug. But for me it works just fine, but I do not use Win7 Aero themes. Can you try switching to Classic theme and check if it is still bugged?

Works fine in classic. 

Works fine in classic. 

Ok then unfortunately I cannot do anything with it. Maybe the window borders in Aero themes cover a small part of Window client area where the status bar is, or rather cause bad calcullation of the client area.

I found a bug: rock border smoothing doesnt work when map width is 64 or less and height is 128.

To add to this, on a map that is 32x128 the smooth feature doesn't work past a y of 31. And on a map that is 64x128 it doesn't work past a y of 63. This doesn't seem to be happening on maps that are wider then they are tall. 

64x128 map

F7JzLTC.png

X33xbhP.png

The smoothed rock edge is at a y of 63 here.

To add to this, on a map that is 32x128 the smooth feature doesn't work past a y of 31. And on a map that is 64x128 it doesn't work past a y of 63. This doesn't seem to be happening on maps that are wider then they are tall.

Oh I see. That was just another stupid copy-paste error, where I interchanged the check for map height and width. Exactly same error happened earlier with "Save map image" feature. It was just a matter of second to find and fix it.

• Upvote 1

Ok so here is small changelog what I did so far:

Fixed: Smooth rock/dunes edge feature works properly in maps where height > width

Fixed: Error message when opening map through commandline or "Open with"

Fixed: When map is shifted, event positions are shifted too

Added: Support for new event types newly supported in D2k patch

Added: Keyboard shortcuts for selecting event types. Work with event editor will be faster.

I'll wait for any new features in D2k patch (added by FunkyFr3sh) and another bug reports or suggestions.

• Upvote 4