Looking for name of strategy game I once saw in about 2000-2002.

Klofkac

It was a PC strategy game I once saw in about 2000-2002 but not sure how old it was. Both you and enemy had some "main building" which produced some flying unit (like drone) which you could use for attack. Once it got destroyed you got new one and you could not attack enemy's main building with it. Both you and enemy had a "mine" on map which was giving you money. When you "destroyed" enemy's mine it became yours and vice versa. And you could build some turrets and tanks or something.

Anyone here would know what was that game?

Are you sure it was the original game and not a mod or ums?

It looked pretty much like original game but I am really not sure. I just saw one guy playing it on his computer and I saw play of only one level, nothing more.

Type this into google search "Chronology of real-time strategy video games" maybe it will help you.

I found a page on Wikipedia when I typed what is written up. Good Luck !

Thanks for advices. I already tried to search something like "1998 strategy game" and similar searches, but with no luck. Now I tried also that chronology page and briefly looked at games from about 1998-2000, but I don't think I found it. I also very barely remember how the game looked like, so I could also miss it.

Sounds a bit like Herzog Zwei and Z. I don't think Z has air units, though, and you captured factories, not mines.

No, that's not that at all. The game was for PC Windows not SEGA, and by graphics quality it looked similar to Dune2000, maybe bit older or bit newer.

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps it wasn't an RTS.

Can you describe the colour theme of the game? Names for units? Terrain workings; water, cliffs.

2D top down view. 3D in a bad way?

Thanks for you try. It was definitely a RTS. And it was rather 2D top down view like D2k, but the graphics was probably less bound to 2D square grid.

It looked like normal earth terrain, there were some impassable cliffs (like in D2k) and probably trees. You had one main building which was producing the flying drone and probably some other buildings like factories, and you could build two types of turrets.

Sorry I remember very very poorly, I only saw playing one level of that game, nothing more. I will probably not search for it anymore.

Top down view, 2D. Yet there was no grid for the units.

Could it be Star Wars Galactic Battle Grounds?

There we have a main structure which produces flying drones. However, this is depending on the race. They harvest resources.

There is also a second option to build. A scout. Which is certainly a flying drone.

The 2 towers. One a scout tower. Another one for actual first tier combat. I guess your friend was not far yet, in the game. Because the way how you describe things, are tutorial material.

If this is not the game, then I really can't help you any more unless you give new hints.

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is almost 3 years old. But I am 99% sure what game OP refer to, I hate leaving question unanswered.

On 6/25/2015 at 3:11 AM, Klofkac said:

State of war. In this game:

+ Released in 2001.

+ You have flying drone called advancer, come from headquarter "main buiding". It is also the only controllable flying unit. It's instantly respawn at headquarter when destroyed.

+ Building with satellite protection cannot be damaged by advancer, always including enemy headquarter. Advancer can only damage other advancer, building and anti-air tank.

+ You do not harvest anything. You have to capture Gold Mine. It produces credit over time.

+ All buildings can be captured by destroying it. There is no way to remove building from map. Exception is headquarter.

+ Tanks are automatically built over time, free. Credit is for building turret.

+ The first mission, you are able to build only 2 type of turrets (out of five), it also features earth-like cliff and tree.

The gameplay is mostly about controlling your tank, advancer, building turrets and calling air support to capture strategic buildings, and in turn destroy the headquarter. Late game consists of massing your unit so many that they have trouble pathfinding.

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2015 at 3:11 PM, Klofkac said:

It was a PC strategy game I once saw in about 2000-2002 but not sure how old it was. Both you and enemy had some "main building" which produced some flying unit (like drone) which you could use for attack. Once it got destroyed you got new one and you could not attack enemy's main building with it. Both you and enemy had a "mine" on map which was giving you money. When you "destroyed" enemy's mine it became yours and vice versa. And you could build some turrets and tanks or something.

The game you ask for sounds too related to common conquest games, so no we're sorry we can only suggest some for you etc. I suggest searching for strategy games and a theme of strategy game for example dune meaning desert strategy game, there are other keywords but google is far from perfect.

What console was it for? Ps2, Xbox, PC, DS?

On 3/18/2018 at 11:51 PM, Runtowin said:

I know this thread is almost 3 years old. But I am 99% sure what game OP refer to, I hate leaving question unanswered.

State of war. In this game:

+ Released in 2001.

+ You have flying drone called advancer, come from headquarter "main buiding". It is also the only controllable flying unit. It's instantly respawn at headquarter when destroyed.

+ Building with satellite protection cannot be damaged by advancer, always including enemy headquarter. Advancer can only damage other advancer, building and anti-air tank.

+ You do not harvest anything. You have to capture Gold Mine. It produces credit over time.

+ All buildings can be captured by destroying it. There is no way to remove building from map. Exception is headquarter.

+ Tanks are automatically built over time, free. Credit is for building turret.

+ The first mission, you are able to build only 2 type of turrets (out of five), it also features earth-like cliff and tree.

The gameplay is mostly about controlling your tank, advancer, building turrets and calling air support to capture strategic buildings, and in turn destroy the headquarter. Late game consists of massing your unit so many that they have trouble pathfinding.

Your description almost matches my favored game, Earth 2160 which has a number of unit making styles one in particular an aircraft but gold isn't a resource.

Gold isn't a common resource for an advanced nation though.

Can you give us some angels? Is the game 3D or 2D? Is it limited to a single angel?

ectico23.png Does it have this angel?
ectico20.png Is it horizontal?
And also I suggest making a strategy game like that in 2D still and objectifying art style too, if you're hosting I'll provide you with good props as requested such as forums and etc.

Edited by Dr.Kran