[Release] New Campaign: Butlerian Jihad

Cm_blast

STORY:
The Campaing is about how the Atreides, Harkonnen and Ordos are in their usual fight against each other to conquer Arrakis, but suddenly all the three houses are getting trouble when the IA that manage the mechanized vehicles starts to act agains their masters.

At first neither of the three houses know what is happening, but later they will discover (every house in their own way) what is the problem; forcing them to join forces when the machines turns out to be too much out of control.

In this campaing your will playing with Atreides, Harkonnen and Ordos, alternating bewteen missions; the briefing will say clearly what House is the one you are going to play with.

THEME:
The campaign it's based on Frank's Herbert Idea from a past war against machines called "Butlerian Jihad"; It has nothing to do with any book, except the very first and the briefly mention done in the very first book.
When the player face enemies being controlled by "the machines" they all wear the same color while still being able to produce multiple kind of units from the factories and not using external reinforcements nor loops.

SCREENSHOT:
5ae636b362502_ButlerianJihad01.PNG.d03ca67c4773eab2d64f833cd8d56cb6.PNG5ae636b542ef6_ButlerianJihad02.png.2abab16c339d9cf9dc7acfd5faf345bb.png5ae636b789e4d_ButlerianJihad03.png.d560d73bfa76720ec977baf05ae0bd63.png

Tactical_Butler1.thumb.jpg.92415a421474eda0de86047e634d881a.jpg

(New Tactical maps included)

FILE:
Butlerian Jihad.rar 

HOW TO INSTALL:
Unzip the file and copy every folder into the root of the game.
Any folders included will go to the path that it is suppose to go.
Do not copy any pgn (screenshots) nor the readme.txt (instructions).

Mission launcher 1.2 is required.

Edited by Cm_blast
Cleaning the post.
  • Upvote 1

You mean it s impossible to do, unlike all other 8 missions. Worst base ever i must say..

Technically should be the worst base. In the briefing implies that all the good spots were taked already by the enemy. The only site to start is in the worst place in the map: too dangerous and too narrow to build your base comfortably. But they prefer this to be away from the battle.

But the map is not impossible; I can tell you both ("Oxyee" and "fdias") some hints to help.

First. Keep in mind you start with tons of money, so don't focus in the economy early, is not the most important. In fact, the only reason to build a refinery early is because you need it for other buildings.

I suggest building the barracks and factories first (and forget about more refs/harvs), even upgrading everything and building lots of units you sill will have money enough to rush the outpost and some missile turrets to help in the defense. When you feel the enemy isn't so aggressive as before, then you can build 3-4 refs and some extra harvesters to increase the money again and start constructing the rest of the buildings.

Okey thx for the hints, i know we took the worst base but it is just a shame seeing all those bad ass, beautiful bases behind me 

. It just makes me feel sad because i want to steal their precious spot :). Good job on the missions though, very diferent from the usual

• 6 months later...

¡News!

This is my re-release of this campaign, now adapted to work into gruntmod. To begin with, I got rid of the text.uib. So now is about the .ini files. Also you need the "tiledata.bin" provide forby Klofkac.

The campaing is almost exactly the same: Same briefing, same events, same money...

There are only small differences like an enemy having 2 raiders where he have 2 tanks or just some numbers tweaked. Initial attack, interval attack, unit build rate... just small changes and not for all levels.

The first post is updated with the new information about the campaing.

great :D you want me to include it in the mission launcher .zip?

oh btw, you should not use the "MissionNumber=" cause it will then show the briefing of the official campaigns in-game!

When you remove that line it will not show the wrong briefing anymore :D You can also have the correct briefing in-game by creating the needed files, but no one did that yet (I guess it's too much work)

great :D you want me to include it in the mission launcher .zip?

oh btw, you should not use the "MissionNumber=" cause it will then show the briefing of the official campaigns in-game!

When you remove that line it will not show the wrong briefing anymore :D You can also have the correct briefing in-game by creating the needed files, but no one did that yet (I guess it's too much work)

Oh, didn't know that. I never use the in-game briefing so didn't check. I placed mission number just as a matter of control, to know which is level 1 or 9.

How I can add the in-game briefing?

And yes, I would like to be added =).

You need to create the matching IG****MIS.UIL file, here is the text from the mission laucnher readme:

MissionNumber= This number is only used for the in game mission briefing button (0 = No in game briefing)

IGH112MIS.UIL, H = harkonnen, 112 = mission number - you must create a new file for custom missions, else the game will freeze when the briefing button was clicked - Possible side values = A,H,O,E,F,S,M - Possible mission numbers 0-255

Note: MissionNumer 1-9 are already used by the original campaign, that means you would need to use 10,11,12...

You need to create the matching IG****MIS.UIL file, here is the text from the mission laucnher readme:

MissionNumber= This number is only used for the in game mission briefing button (0 = No in game briefing)

IGH112MIS.UIL, H = harkonnen, 112 = mission number - you must create a new file for custom missions, else the game will freeze when the briefing button was clicked - Possible side values = A,H,O,E,F,S,M - Possible mission numbers 0-255

Note: MissionNumer 1-9 are already used by the original campaign, that means you would need to use 10,11,12...

This is what I did:

I changed the mission to 10 (game freeze with ingame briefing).

Then I copy the original Hark mission 1.uil and rename it to 10. Now in my map the original Hark 1 level ingame briefing appears.

Then I open the .uil with the UI Layout Editor from the old tool kit.

The whole file has this.

GROUPBOX gb
160 40
300 330
Black
Red
ingbrief
END_GROUPBOX
TEXTBOX briefing
180 50
280, 30
Transparent // background colour
Transparent // hi
Transparent // lo
JHighLightText // font colour
Briefing
END_TEXTBOX
LISTBOX loadListBox
182, 90
256, 225
Transparent // backgroud colour
JHighLightText // font colour
Transparent // Frame colour
DarkRed // highlight colour
LightRed // button hi col
VDarkRed // button lo col
Red // button up col
DarkRed // button down col
NONE // scroll region gfx
Wslider // scroll bar gfx
Uparrow // top button up gfx
Uparrowp    // top button down gfx
Dnarrow // bottom button up gfx
Dnarrowp // bottom button down gfx
EnterText HM1Text1
EnterText IG_HM1Text2
END_LISTBOX
BUTTON cancel
274, 342
50, 15
Done // button text
LightRed // highlight
VDarkRed // lowlight
Red // button up colour
DarkRed // button down colour
JRubberText // font up colour
JRubberTextDn // font down colour
RBut4_up // upGfx
RBut4_dn // downGfx
BackMenu

END_BUTTON

I'm going to admit I have no clue about those lines, but I can see the:

"EnterText HM1Text1"

"EnterText IG_HM1Text2"
lines, which refers to the original text.uib.

So, my question is: What I need to do here to place a custom briefing?
I need a custom "text.uib"?
Can I write the briefing directly into the ".uil"?
Or... (another option)?

Yes, you did it correctly. But no one tried it before yet so didn't know what exactly needs to be done in the .uil file. I guess the only way is using a custom text.uib atm. I will have to see if I can find a better solution and read it from the .ini instead

I see. Also, if the .uil could be custom too would be better. I mean, someone can do a new Harkonnen campaing and use 10-18 for their mission, but If I use the same numbers then would be a conflict between two campaings.

Anyway, for now to simply things I make the maps with no briefing in-game.

The mod have been reupladed in the first post, you can add that for the launcher.

By the way, just because this is a english forum (and because the limit of size I can attach)  I'm just uploading the english version, But I have both. Just in case if someone would like to understand the game better in our own language.

Make sure you use all files in the launcher .zip, cause i also update the .uil files for mission 0 to have a fake text inside

Oh yes, now it works. Thanks for all.

If you want to package the files together so they work with the vanilla game, you should submit this to D2K+ . Should just be a matter of having them install CnCNet.

In the submission part the line that said "Enter a link to the zip file containing your mod submission" refers this exact post?

And/or if I upload the campaings to 4share (for example). Can I provide that type of link?

• 2 months later...

Been playing this campaign recently, and mission 5 is a nightmare. Atreides send too many reinforcements, and I survived some waves barely keeping my tanks alive and squashing enemy soldiers with them, but with too many tanks and quads, missile launchers, wow... O.O and sandworms, while I was defending my base, kept eating my harvesters...

Previous missions (because I played it) were well designed, good job!

Edited by jamesensor

1 hour ago, jamesensor said:

Been playing this campaign recently, and mission 5 is a nightmare. Atreides send too many reinforcements, and I survived some waves barely keeping my tanks alive and squashing enemy soldiers with them, but with too many tanks and quads, missile launchers, wow... O.O and sandworms, while I was defending my base, kept eating my harvesters...

Previous missions (because I played it) were well designed, good job!

If that help, try to build 3 refineries in the very edge of the southeast, so the money came faster. Also some barracks early, because the infantry and troopers are a cheap, fast and effective defense against those early waves. In this particular level the barracks are really usefull (at least in the first minutes).

Try to build several turrets before getting IX or the repair pad. That with some tanks (and several infantry/troopers) can help to stop the waves more easily.

The sandworm part is true, sometimes the worm eat my harvesters while I am busy defending (making me reloading a previous savegame), other times I can see it coming or he is attacked by the Atreides so he just go to sleep. Is a bit of gambling.

Anyway, if you are defending succesfull your base just keep playing. If you think "Everytime I have a small army another wave come and I lost most of my tanks", don't worry, the waves are going to get interrupted when... <secret>.

Only when the waves stop (you will notice easily when that happen) is the time when you finally can fight back.

And thanks for playing!

Edited by Cm_blast
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Dark Wesker said:

I'm not good with this game. I need Walkthrought. Somebody can do it? Mission 7 for me is impossible. Why this campaign is very hard? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0NA7Rw8ShQ

The only help I can provide is to have the refineries in a better position: To the left 2 refineries as you have now, but then it's better if you place 2 more refineries where you placed the starport.

This is a quick imagen I took with the editor, just so you can have a quick vision. Place at least 2 refs to the right and left. The amount of spice is huge and is very near, so carryall are not needed. Not only they aren't needed, but having them will slow you down.

refs.PNG.13163386a97efb41ad56bbfcbe990a69.PNG

I mean, you builded 3 heavy factories but your credits are at 0, so it's poinless having multiple factories if the lack of money is the reason you are slowed.

Just spread the refs in a similar way as I show you (build some more harversters and/or do a order with the starport if the harverster are on a discount) and that's it. After all that money flows, you can have multiple factories if you want (I only place 1 of each building, but if having more makes the mission more easy then do it).

Ps: I agree, this specific campaign is the harder I ever made.

Edited by Cm_blast

u need find where reinforcements came from and put a few unit in there.. it was easy ;o

stop using concerete(only wind need it), why u even got high tech factory, u can order in starport

and WHERE ARE TROOPS? since siege tanks are slow they own rest..

Edited by Szwagier

Thanks for answer. But this is a one problem. Time is very limited. And I have to supervise even 4 - 6 places. Starport does not always give units. But I thinking about where enemies sending troops. This map is not a small and need a lot of testing.

Edited by Dark Wesker

3 hours ago, Dark Wesker said:

Thanks for answer. But this is a one problem. Time is very limited. And I have to supervise even 4 - 6 places. Starport does not always give units. But I thinking about where enemies sending troops. This map is not a small and need a lot of testing.

Just focus on more refs near the spice and more harversters to increase your incoming and you'll be fine. The last wave is huge but if you can build units non-stop you can counter their numbers, even using troopers which are very good. Sometimes the enemy combat and missile tanks will shot those units (doing barely damage) while your other units will take of them.