Family issues with Dune (!)

Charles

Hi there, 

It was already complicated to play Dune because of this unpredictable daughter of mine :) 

But matters are worse now: my wife is literally angry at this game :P I can't really explain why. At this point, I understand it as a mix between "hearing this game makes me crazy" (because of the sounds, repetitive explosions, repetitive calls such as Unit ready ! Unit lost ! Yes Sir ! Unit ready ! At your command ! Yes Sir ! Unit ready! (...) ) and some jealousy as "I would very like to have such an addictive and passionate hobby myself" . 

So, until she calms down somewhat, I'm gonna take a break. This changes nothing to the fact that it's an amazing game and you guys did a wonderful job to make it available on CNCnet. I guess I'll return at some point. 

Am I the only one that have family issues with Dune 2K ? :) 

Regards, 

Charles

Adriano : headphones would just make me look more isolated from the "real world" so... bad idea :) Thanks for helping me find solutions though ! 

Athanasios : unfortunately we talk here about a daughter 4 months old , not a son 5 years old... she's still a little young to play this. Congrats for getting through this, I hope to duplicate you at some time :) 

unfortunately we talk here about a daughter 4 months old , not a son 5 years old... she's still a little young to play this. ... I hope to duplicate you at some time

Worst time. But after another 4 months it will be much more easy. She will be glued in front of a screen watching kids video clips...

Here is one that she will like even now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9MhPQLmBUE

Official:

https://www.youtube.com/user/bebelillyfrance

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It was already complicated to play Dune because of this unpredictable daughter of mine :) 

But matters are worse now: my wife is literally angry at this game :P I can't really explain why. At this point, I understand it as a mix between "hearing this game makes me crazy" (because of the sounds, repetitive explosions, repetitive calls such as Unit ready ! Unit lost ! Yes Sir ! Unit ready ! At your command ! Yes Sir ! Unit ready! (...) ) and some jealousy as "I would very like to have such an addictive and passionate hobby myself" .

These periodically repeating sounds can be bore, especially "Unit ready ! Unit lost !" (when big battle).

I found a way to off these "Unit ready ! Unit lost !".

I can remove some files from folder \data\GAMESFX.

For Atreides:

AI_UNRDY.aud - Unit ready !

AI_ULOST.aud - Unit lost !

-----

P.S. Maybe somebody can find the better way. It will be perfect off/on these sounds during the game.

When we make big attack, we can see lost units and no need to talk about it so many times.

But if this is unexpected attack of enemy, somewhere we cannot see now, then this sound can be useful.

-----

P.P.S. I did not test it still, but I suppose, that names of files for Harkonnen and Ordos will be the same, excepting first character. H and O.

Adriano : headphones would just make me look more isolated from the "real world" so... bad idea :) Thanks for helping me find solutions though ! 

Athanasios : unfortunately we talk here about a daughter 4 months old , not a son 5 years old... she's still a little young to play this. Congrats for getting through this, I hope to duplicate you at some time :)

Change the game's language to which you never speak, that could really help you, cuz your wife will never understand :D. Or you need to delete the whole "data\GAMESFX" folder lol.  -----[sR]Windyq