[RELEASE] Tileset Attributes Editor

Klofkac

Find download in attachment:

TileAtrEditor01.zip

Screenshot:

post-12183-0-79033400-1431037517_thumb.p

Features:

- Open both tileset image and TILEATRx.BIN file. "Quick open" option can open them directly if "tilesets" folder exists in program folder (like the one distributed with map editor). It can also open the Tileatr file directly from Dune2000/data/bin folder if the program is placed into any subfolder in Dune2000 folder.

- All tiles are marked with color(s) which is made of combination of attributes they have.

- Filter tiles by their attributes in several ways.

- Copy attributes from a tile. Set attributes to single tile or multiple tiles at once. You can also add or remove attributes which you want.

- Reopen and save Tileatr file.

- Support for 7 known attributes (and actually used by game). I got all information from http://d2kplus.com/wiki/index.php?title=TILEATR_Files, but the meaning of attributes may not be fully correct. Also, two attributes are still unknown, this needs some research and experimenting. I found out that the last "Unknown" attribute also slows down units, "Buildings can be placed" also allows holes in ground if it is shot a lot and "Sandworm can pass" allow holes in ground too.

Thanks for your comments and discoveries.

• Upvote 4

Find download in attachment:

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.hPGJFKgqtP.gTileAtrEditor01.zip

Screenshot:

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.hPGJFKgqtP.gtatr.png

Features:

- Open both tileset image and TILEATRx.BIN file. "Quick open" option can open them directly if "tilesets" folder exists in program folder (like the one distributed with map editor). It can also open the Tileatr file directly from Dune2000/data/bin folder if the program is placed into any subfolder in Dune2000 folder.

- All tiles are marked with color(s) which is made of combination of attributes they have.

- Filter tiles by their attributes in several ways.

- Copy attributes from a tile. Set attributes to single tile or multiple tiles at once. You can also add or remove attributes which you want.

- Reopen and save Tileatr file.

- Support for 7 known attributes (and actually used by game). I got all information from http://d2kplus.com/wiki/index.php?title=TILEATR_Files, but the meaning of attributes may not be fully correct. Also, two attributes are still unknown, this needs some research and experimenting. I found out that the last "Unknown" attribute also slows down units, "Buildings can be placed" also allows holes in ground if it is shot a lot and "Sandworm can pass" allow holes in ground too.

Thanks for your comments and discoveries.

If I understand well, Are you saying I can change a "concrete-tileset" to behave like a buildable area? (although it is not a real concrete).

Would you like to explain me, if you please. Which bin file correspondents to which bmp file? (the phrase looks wrong :unsure: )

tileatr1.bin -> d2k_bloxbase.bmp ?

tileatr2.bin -> d2k_bloxbat.bmp

And where must be edited bin file? In Dune2000/data/bin folder or in Map editor folder?

P.S. I found answer here:

Edited by Adriano

If I understand well, Are you saying I can change a "concrete-tileset" to behave like a buildable area? (although it is not a real concrete).

Yes. I try this.

But this "concrete" just LOOKS like concrete. If to choose "Buildings can be placed" attribute, then this place will be like rock without concrete. And it needs to build REAL concrete over this "concrete".

On 5/8/2015 at 11:28 PM, Adriano said:

Yes. I try this.

But this "concrete" just LOOKS like concrete. If to choose "Buildings can be placed" attribute, then this place will be like rock without concrete. And it needs to build REAL concrete over this "concrete".

Great. I know is not a real concrete, the "fake-concrete" have the same behave than the sand.

When I did my "dune 2 campaigns" for dune 2000, I wanted to place this fake concrete in the enemy base, so it would looks more like Dune 2, but with this "concrete_sand" the IA found problems to rebuild destroyed buildings.

By the way, Klofkac:

Maybe those unkown is related to the craters when you shoot in the tile?

Like this two images:

Maybe 1 of the unknow is to tell the game if this tile should make a crater.

Edited by Cm_blast

And where must be edited bin file? In Dune2000/data/bin folder or in Map editor folder?

Of course in Dune2000/data/bin folder, this is what the game actually uses. The TILEATRx.BIN files in Map editor folder are just dumb copy of the files from Dune2000/data/bin, so that the editor can use them easily without need of manually copying them there or searching for them.

I should have made TileAtr editor not load the files from Map editor folder at all, so that people are not confused with it. The idea was just make them easily available for view-only.

Great. I know is not a real concrete, the "fake-concrete" have the same behave than the sand.

When I did my "dune 2 campaigns" for dune 2000, I wanted to place this fake concrete in the enemy base, so it would looks more like Dune 2, but with this "concrete_sand" the IA found problems to rebuild destroyed buildings.

By the way, Klofkac:

Maybe those unkown is related to the craters when you shoot in the tile?

Like this two images:

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.hPGJFKgqtP.gshooting tile 1.PNG

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.hPGJFKgqtP.gshooting tile 2.PNG

Maybe 1 of the unknow is to tell the game if this tile should make a crater.

I found out during my simple research, that if a tile has "Buildings can be placed" attribute, it also allows to have "rock" craters. That's probably because the game authors assumed that this attribute will be set exactly on all clean rock tiles.

With "Sandworm can pass" and "sand" craters it's very similar: this flag allows both sandworm movement and sand craters. However, if I allowed only "Sandworm can pass" and disallowed everything else, then the craters did not appear.

I think that the two unknown flags does not have anything with craters. The second unknown flag is also slow movement, I'm not sure if slower than the real "Slow movement" one.

Hey Klokfac, maybe the "slow movement" have to do with units "tracked" and "Wheeled", 

I found this just by accident, but in this video you can see the Ordos Tank and quad going at the same speed. When both encounter the edge of the rock the Tank is slowed a bit, but the quad not.

Hey Klokfac, maybe the "slow movement" have to do with units "tracked" and "Wheeled", 

I found this just by accident, but in this video you can see the Ordos Tank and quad going at the same speed. When both encounter the edge of the rock the Tank is slowed a bit, but the quad not.

Edited by Cm_blast
  • Upvote 1

"Fake-concrete". Good name, I suppose. I thought, how to called this.

But... this concrete is not the same as sand. Sand has attribute "Sandworm can pass". Fake-concrete has no that attribute. Sandworm cannot come there.

So it is possible to use the fake concrete to create safety place on the sand, or to build simple (straight or rectangular) border, I suppose.

Another unusual tiles are something like "fake-spice" (I will use pattern of Cm_blast for the name :) ).

These tiles have only attribute "Sandworm can pass". So Harvester cannot come here, how I can understand. And nobody can, excepting Sandworm.

I think about: how to use these tiles? Or are they useless?

"Fake-concrete". Good name, I suppose. I thought, how to called this.

But... this concrete is not the same as sand. Sand has attribute "Sandworm can pass". Fake-concrete has no that attribute. Sandworm cannot come there.

So it is possible to use the fake concrete to create safety place on the sand, or to build simple (straight or rectangular) border, I suppose.

Yeah, the sandworm can't past over the fake concrete. 

But well, my point was giving the enemy's base the same look like dune 2, concretes in the middle of the base and surroundings. The worm can't go there, but the IA can't build anything over them either.

I didn't know that that spice wasn't a truly spice.

I used the fake concrete in my Corrino Campaign. The last map is a battle in Arrakeen, so trying to make the enemy base looks like some kind of city/capital, I placed fake concretes (and walls) over the whole base. So instead a base in a "random terrain", you have the city full of asphalted roads.

Other uses for the concretes: A map with a briefing like: "alert general, our base is under attack bla bla", you can place the concretes like before there was a base there, but now only your concretes remaing because was already destroyed.

About the fake spice, well, maybe a map when you're hallucinating and see spice but actually is just sand or else, I don't know XD.

Good ideas about concretes, Cm_blast.

About fake spice.

May be I should write about it in more detail. You can open TileAtrEditor. Then, for example, Quick Open -> Bloxbase. Look at the bottom of the picture, please.

Ok, I did several test using a Quad and a Ordos Tank (they both have almost the same speed), in a controled area using every time a single tileset to make a road to the quad-tank and see how they run over the area. I place a regular path of random sand to make a comparison.

Here are the results, I'm adding a imagen so you (and I) can see the exact tile I used for every test.

Test 01: post-58652-0-78782800-1431862560.png (red square - sand)

Atributes --> infantry, vehicles and worms can pass.

O.Tank and quad goes in the same speed.

Soldiers goes at their regular speed too.

Test 02: post-58652-0-64330900-1431862747_thumb.p (Pink square - dunes)

Atributes --> infantry, vehicles and worm can pass, slow movement

O.Tank is faster than the quad

The quad is slower than runing in sand.

Soldiers goes slower.

Test 03: post-58652-0-59236200-1431862862.png (light green)

Atributes --> Infantry and vehicles can pass, building, unknown1

Quad is faster than the Tank

The quad is faster than runing in sand.

Soldiers normal.

Test 04: post-58652-0-28775400-1431863024_thumb.p (dark brown)

atributes --> infantry and vehicles can pass

all same speed like in the sand

Test 05: post-58652-0-13783500-1431863082_thumb.p (brown)

atributes --> infantry and vehicles can pass, unknown1

Quad faster than the tank

Quad faster than in the sand

Soldiers normal.

Test 06: post-58652-0-73288500-1431863183_thumb.p (light brown)

atributes --> infantry and vehicles can pass, unknown1 & 2

Tank and Quad slower than in the sand.

Soldiers are slower

The quad is a bit more quickly than the tank.

Test 07: post-58652-0-45378200-1431863271.png (blue)

atributes --> infantry

Soldiers normal.

Test 08: post-58652-0-96024200-1431863389.png (dark green)

atributes --> infantry can pass, slow movement, unknown1

Soldiers are slower.

Test 09: post-58652-0-30726600-1431863457_thumb.p (light green)

atributes --> infantry can pass, unknown1 & 2

Soldiers are slower

comparing test 08 and test 09, they both go to the same speed.

So:

slow movement make quads (wheeled) and soldiers (foot) slower.

unknown1 makes the Tank (tracked) slower.

unknown1 also makes de Quad goes faster than in the sand (the sand don't have any slow movement or unknown).

unknown1 & 2 at the same time makes all slower --> If unknown 1 makes the tanks go slower but the quad goes faster, then the unknown2 looks like a "more slow" option to make the quad going much more slow (he still is a bit quicker than the tank). So maybe unknown 2 is a "much more slow for wheeled" option. 

I was able to be wrong by putting tiles or record the results, if anything seems absurd tell me and I will do a test with any type of tile searching answerns.

• Upvote 1

Good research, Cm_blast, this seems promising. So all three last attributes are related to unit movement speed. I will rename the attributes in editor appropriately.

Btw, any other suggestions for TileAtr editor?

Keep in mind that the unknown 1 makes the tank go slower but the quad is haste (comparing to sand, where no slow-movement is present).

I would say, if possible change a colour, for example looking in images from test 04, 05 and 06: The three browno squares looks similar. At least you could change the 05 one because the tiles are brown already. Another colour there or make the brown more flashy.

Btw, any other suggestions for TileAtr editor?

Actually, your TileAtr editor and new D2k editor are VERY GOOD! Thank you very much for your work, Klofkac!

Just one question (not critical remark). I don't understand your logic, when you made RIGHT button of mouse for GET tileset attributes, and LEFT button for SET the attributes.

So we SELECT tiles (for to know their properties) with RIGHT click. And we CHANGE tileset attributes with LEFT click. IMHO, change tileset attributes is more rare operation.

Maybe,  to interchange the buttons?

But this is not very important question. And I can repeat, in general, well done! :)

Actually, your TileAtr editor and new D2k editor are VERY GOOD! Thank you very much for your work, Klofkac!

Just one question (not critical remark). I don't understand your logic, when you made RIGHT button of mouse for GET tileset attributes, and LEFT button for SET the attributes.

So we SELECT tiles (for to know their properties) with RIGHT click. And we CHANGE tileset attributes with LEFT click. IMHO, change tileset attributes is more rare operation.

Maybe,  to interchange the buttons?

But this is not very important question. And I can repeat, in general, well done! :)

Thanks!

Actually, during development I first made left button get attributes and right button set, but later changed it to be as it is now. The logic and main reason was to keep consistency with map editor, where you use left button to place structure or terrain block. Moreover, the program is called "editor" not "viewer", so I considered "set" operation more important, although, in practice, people are (for now) using it mainly for viewing attributes.

I interchanged the buttons when I created the "Multiple-tile-select mode", (which allows you to drag over multiple tiles and set attributes for all of them) and dragging with right button held seemed quite uncomfortable for me.

I would say, if possible change a colour, for example looking in images from test 04, 05 and 06: The three browno squares looks similar. At least you could change the 05 one because the tiles are brown already. Another colour there or make the brown more flashy.

The color is composed of attributes which the tile has, and each attribute "adds" its R-G-B component to the final color (like, "Vehicles can pass" adds 25% red, "Building" adds 75% green, "Sandworm can pass" adds 50% red and so on). I was tuning the proper combination of colors for long time and this is the best-looking result I could reach. I needed to give "weaker color addition" to frequently used attributes (like vehicles or infantry can pass) and "stronger color addition" to rarely used attributes (like building), otherwise everything would shine with bright colors. As a consequence, some tiles using only frequent attributes are colored dark.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, Get it.

I didn't try using the program yet, but my first thint to do is making the fake-concrete buildable, so I can add lots of those "concretes" in my Dune 2 mod in the enemy base without problems. The Ia still could be build concrete/buildings on there, and his base will look more similar to Dune 2.

• 1 month later...

New release (v1.0) of Tileset Attributes Editor is here!

TileAtrEditorv10.zip

What is new:

- Some attributes were renamed (including the unknown ones) to tell more exactly what they are doing

- Added support for "Editor Attributes". These attributes are there only for D2kEditor's purpose to improve "Fill Area" and "Auto-smooth Rock/Dunes Edge" feature. You should not set them at all for TILEATRx.BIN files used by the game.

- Changed GUI layout a bit, F1-F7 shortcuts for quick-open tileset

- Tile index is shown on status bar

I'd like to ask Gruntlord6 to also make download page for TileAtr editor on D2K+ website. Thanks a lot!

Here is the description you should put on the download page:

Feature Set:
* Opens both tileset image (*.bmp) and TILEATRx.BIN files. "Quick open" option can open them directly if "tilesets" folder exists in program folder (like the one distributed with map editor). It can also open the Tileatr file directly from Dune2000/data/bin folder if the program is placed into any subfolder in Dune2000 folder.
* All tiles are marked with color(s) which is made of R-G-B color combination of attributes they have.
* Filter tiles by their attributes in several ways.
* Copy attributes from a tile. Set attributes to single tile or multiple tiles at once. You can also add or remove attributes which you want.
* Support for "Editor Attributes". These attributes are there only for "Map and Mission Editor"'s purpose to improve "Fill Area" and "Auto-smooth Rock/Dunes Edge" feature. You should not set them at all for TILEATRx.BIN files used by the game.
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the rock inti concrete: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3sIFwvou1uQRVRWajdPOEJlMzQ
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3sIFwvou1uQLXFZMm9WaGRHZUE/view

the brown concrete not for building, but units can moving. I did this 2 years ago with new tile set, but it was to hard, to add for multiplayer maps. It's working good for lan too. My friend was add new name of tile set into dune2000.exe after that this tile set working in lan. Maybe there is other way to add new tileset for lan game, but I don't know (for cnc no problem, of course).

• 1 month later...

TileAtrEditor version 1.1 released!

Direct download link: https://github.com/jkoncick/TileAtrEditor/releases/download/v1.1/TileAtrEditorv11.zip

Download page: https://github.com/jkoncick/TileAtrEditor/releases/tag/v1.1

CHANGELOG:

Added: Improved "Quick open" option: you can now choose to open TILEATR files either from the
       editor folder or the game folder. Added support for custom tilesets - D2kEditor's tileset
       configuration file (config/tilesets.ini) is loaded.
Added: "Save Both TileAtr" option - this saves the TILEATR file into editor folder and game folder
       and clears Editor attributes in the game version. Works only when a tileset is opened from
       the "Quick open" menu from the editor folder.
Added: "Check block preset coverage" option: useful when setting up block presets for a tileset.
       It reads the tileset's ini file and shows which tiles are included in block presets.
Added: Undo&Redo feature
Added: Show Grid, Mark Selection, Clear selected attributes option
Added: Some key shortcuts
Changed: New program icon
Changed: Renamed Editor attributes according to changes in D2kEditor v1.1
Removed: "Mark all attributes separately" option

• Upvote 2