Sid Meier's Railroads!

I'm on the map that is near the great Lakes.  Map crashes a lot, so I save a lot.  Some times the game doesn't start, saying I'm using the wrong CD.  

I still enjoy playing Railroads.  and, trying to understand the AI. 

In my present game I have 27 trains running.  The  AI,  (the last one standing)  has 6 trains and his RR has few stops.  I have a lot of stops.  My trains are mostly full.  Each of the AI trains run mostly 5 or 6 empty cars with as many as 6 stops and gets paid as if the empty cars were full. 

The AI seems to be using drop shipping or at least picks up empty cars out of thin air and get paid for them. 

In earnings, I'm 3 million ahead of the AI but his stock value is about 3 million more then mine.  We both have four shares of the others stock and 6 of our own.

The AI is still running a couple 4-4-0 American locomotives while my fleet is all 4-6-2 Pacific's. 

Yea, theses AIs are hard to beat.

I did notice a lot of faces and creatures molded to formed the land.  Maybe they are part of the AI's under cover AI crews.   :ph34r: 

I'm on the map that is near the great Lakes.  Map crashes a lot, so I save a lot.  Some times the game doesn't start, saying I'm using the wrong CD.  

I still enjoy playing Railroads.  and, trying to understand the AI. 

In my present game I have 27 trains running.  The  AI,  (the last one standing)  has 6 trains and his RR has few stops.  I have a lot of stops.  My trains are mostly full.  Each of the AI trains run mostly 5 or 6 empty cars with as many as 6 stops and gets paid as if the empty cars were full. 

The AI seems to be using drop shipping or at least picks up empty cars out of thin air and get paid for them. 

In earnings, I'm 3 million ahead of the AI but his stock value is about 3 million more then mine.  We both have four shares of the others stock and 6 of our own.

The AI is still running a couple 4-4-0 American locomotives while my fleet is all 4-6-2 Pacific's. 

Yea, theses AIs are hard to beat.

I did notice a lot of faces and creatures molded to formed the land.  Maybe they are part of the AI's under cover AI crews.   :ph34r:

I'm enjoying it, too, a lot.

I guess I'm to the point now where I'm less aggravated by its infamous quirks....because its strengths are extraordinary. The game is so alive. While RRTII has more depth and nearly endless variety, its interface pales visually and audibly compared to SMRR. Still, RRTII was incomparable in its time and has attractive features that would improve SMRR if incorporated. What a new game we'd have if we took the best from both, with a sprinkling of RRT3's days/nights/weather, and rolled them into one.

Yes, money seems to grow on trees for the AIs. And it is the same in RRTII. Impossible sums generated within 2 years from two smallish towns connected with no industry.

In SMRR, my strategy is to buy them out as quickly as possible, then liquidate them clearing their mess. In the last couple of games I've played, I've focused on buying their shares earlier than usual and it seems to have worked well.

I thought I was going to lose to the AI.  So I started playing the Robber Baron Style of play.  The AI had been out performing me with all his extra perks. 

So I attacked his supply.

I rerouted His trains so I could burned all of the merged AI's bridges and unused track and some of my own unneeded track .  

I built extra shorter routes for a number of my trains.  I now have over 30 trains.  33 I think.

I ran two trains to every one of the AI's Cities, Industries, Farms or Mines.  I built crossings instead of bridges and shortened some routes.

I still had no more then 6 stuck trains at a time.  I rerouted some but mostly, I let them run over each other and clear their own routes. 

I think my having trains reroute their direction out of a station cleared the tracks quicker.  I might be wrong.

The AI reacted by buying new locos and running 8 car trains.  But still ran many empty cars.

(By the way, I've never had a train stop for another train at a crossing.  They don't even slow down like they do for a curve or to pass another train)

At the end of the following year my earnings were 3 times greater than the AI's earnings. My expenses were 3 times greater as well.

I still ended up in the black, making a good total profit.  The AI went deep in the hole with negative numbers. 

I hit the sweet spot where I could merge the Last AI, but saved the map instead.

Since then I continued testing the map to understand how the code works.  The AI is going so deep in debt I doubt he will recovered.

The source code seems to have some deep thinking in it.  Anticipation of player moves may be a better word for my guess.

FYI,  I installed the "Free Memory Optimizer 1.2."  program.

This may be too short of a test, But, I have had no crashes since the install.

So far this is a totally free program.  It transfers extra memory automatically

from other areas when the game runs too low on memory. 

I pulled my  USB 1.2    stick out.  Still is not crashing.

I had hooked up my external hard drive to another of the USB ports a few day back. 

It is only about 25 % full. It did help some but It didn't stop all of the crashes.

This may be part of where the new program is getting some of the shared extra memory from.

I built miles of track trying to crash the game and I finally did.  I have a number of trains doing cartwheels.  I didn't try to fix the routes or the bad track. 

Still trying to make smooth route changes which I believe causes the spinning and flying trains trying to find their routes.

Anyone have a better answer for this problem.

I think I can now run a normal game without it crashing.

I gave up on understanding the signals.

I haven't had much time to play lately, but not long after my last post I found myself getting bored with Railroads! So went back to RRTII and resumed a Heartland map game I had started a ways back.

The main reason boredom sets in for Railroads! is that, once you play a map a couple of times and learn best strategies for success, it will always be the exact same game every time you repeat it....right down to the smallest detail. That's because its industries are all pre-planted in the same locations and I don't recall ever seeing new ones appear during game play. Correct me if I'm missing or forgetting something here, but I don't think I've ever seen anything but city size growth in a game. This is a huge game-play limitation as compared to RRTII.

Ironically, that makes RRTII a much more dynamic game for long-term game play, despite Railroads!' much more lively game interface.

I backed away from the Sid's Railroads a number of times as well;  Thinking why did good developers do so poorly.

But then I would find or create a new challenge in Sid's game and play on.

As game companies, I know there was a lot of talent within each.  but maybe too many companies.

I can visualize a lot of pressure between the different groups with too many fish and not enough worms to go around.  

I wonder if any one person was in charge or did they just rule by committee.

My guess is, by a loosely knitted committee. 

Looks like there is still a good chance for a new better railroad game in the works. 

I hope the politics, if there was any, can disappear except for one person who can take charge of the rudder.

I'll try to help.

I still have my big 3d max program.  I wonder if I can remember how to use it or if it will even work with newer technology.  :blink:

Gwizz, the spinning/flying trains are trains that don't have a track. Or to put it another way, in the view of the game they ran off the track. A common cause for this is placing a depot too close to the end of the track which gives the trains a place to run off it. I try to place a depot at least one step back from the very end of the track, but a couple of steps is safer.

Glad the game is running without crashes. The signals can be useful. Look at them from the side of what is possible. If you build a track/junction/siding and then try to make it work you will not find success. The basics are: minimum possible signals spaced so that a train that is waiting at one will not be blocking another with his tail and each complete "route" where trains can possibly interact must be separate. The logic the computer uses for them is very simplistic, but it's possible to use them quite efficiently to make sidings for long hauls allowing the passage of great amounts of cargo. To start with dedicate one annex/depot track to this route alone. Adding junctions to a complete "route" to give more than two possible stops on this route takes great care, but it can be done. I could try to explain more if you want, but for me it was fun experimenting and learning how to more with them while keeping the same basic principles.

Interesting that you guys are going back and forth. I just say I like all the Railroad Tycoon games. Railroads! does generate random industry and resource placements if the map is setup that way but most are not. Also, resources as well as cities grow in size once a certain number of loads have been hauled to and from them. Cities can have many new sizes added, so in some custom maps it is a real challenge to grow a city ten or so steps to a Supercity or whatever the map designer decided to call the last city stage (the names are easily changed).

Gwizz, the spinning/flying trains are trains that don't have a track. Or to put it another way, in the view of the game they ran off the track. A common cause for this is placing a depot too close to the end of the track which gives the trains a place to run off it. I try to place a depot at least one step back from the very end of the track, but a couple of steps is safer.

Glad the game is running without crashes. The signals can be useful. Look at them from the side of what is possible. If you build a track/junction/siding and then try to make it work you will not find success. The basics are: minimum possible signals spaced so that a train that is waiting at one will not be blocking another with his tail and each complete "route" where trains can possibly interact must be separate. The logic the computer uses for them is very simplistic, but it's possible to use them quite efficiently to make sidings for long hauls allowing the passage of great amounts of cargo. To start with dedicate one annex/depot track to this route alone. Adding junctions to a complete "route" to give more than two possible stops on this route takes great care, but it can be done. I could try to explain more if you want, but for me it was fun experimenting and learning how to more with them while keeping the same basic principles.

Interesting that you guys are going back and forth. I just say I like all the Railroad Tycoon games. Railroads! does generate random industry and resource placements if the map is setup that way but most are not. Also, resources as well as cities grow in size once a certain number of loads have been hauled to and from them. Cities can have many new sizes added, so in some custom maps it is a real challenge to grow a city ten or so steps to a Supercity or whatever the map designer decided to call the last city stage (the names are easily changed).

I've never seen this, but would love to play such a map. Example, please?

Do you have in mind a map where change happens.   

Also:   Thanks for the help on understanding signals

Also:   I've had trains fly near a crossing, find a track, travel a ways on the found track, turn around 180 drees and approach the crossing and fly again.   Some are stuck in that route while others do the route a couple of times, then return to the normal original route and deliver cargo.  

I'm going to make another try at Railroads.  

On a different note,     I am having a problem with my mouse sticking when I lay track.  It make mini small jumps. 

I've cleaned the table top and lightly waxed it and the mouse pads.  Maybe I need a fine powder.

I have spray silicon that might work better.  Any comments? 

Do you have in mind a map where change happens.   

Also:   Thanks for the help on understanding signals

Also:   I've had trains fly near a crossing, find a track, travel a ways on the found track, turn around 180 drees and approach the crossing and fly again.   Some are stuck in that route while others do the route a couple of times, then return to the normal original route and deliver cargo.  

I'm going to make another try at Railroads.  

On a different note,     I am having a problem with my mouse sticking when I lay track.  It make mini small jumps. 

I've cleaned the table top and lightly waxed it and the mouse pads.  Maybe I need a fine powder.

I have spray silicon that might work better.  Any comments? 

Is it an optical mouse?

I used to have that kind of problem with the old ball-type, but never with optical.

For the longest time I have only played the custom maps which are generally setup more intricately using fixed resource locations so the goals can give a tighter challenge. A few weeks back, I went back to some of the original "other worlds" maps that are designed for multiplayer/sole surviving company and immediately noticed that resources are randomized there. I was playing Southeastern Europe which together with River's Run are probably the most challenging maps for me to consistently win by 1900. I still fail sometimes. I put it down to less resource variety giving less revenue on the map which can make it difficult if the AI get a great start. Anyway, I looked at a couple of other maps now, and it seems to me that all the standard maps do have random resource placement. Which maps have you been playing? If you are using the trick of having a blank map "save" to start in the city of your choice you are really using only one of the many possible random generations.

One of the main differences compared to the seeding system of RTII and RT3 is that this random placement is only applied once when the map is generated. Railroads! never adds new houses/industries randomly during the game the way the previous games did. In my opinion this is a good thing because the track-layout planning requirements of Railroads! are hard to adapt without ripping track up or getting lots of ugly overpasses. Gameplay-wise this is partly made up for by the ability for you to grow the existing resources on the map.

I hope your mouse behaves. I am not a mouse doctor ;), but you could try fiddling with the game's "mouse scroll speed" in Options->Controls.

PS: I finally found a good use for paper mills. They are a buildable demand so if you have two cities which have wood nearby that either have a mill or a free slot for you to build one, you can grow those cities fast by hauling paper between them. No need for the train to unload and it will be full in both directions.

It is an optical mouse and I think I have worn out one of the pad sliders.

It's getting too hot today to work outside, so i think I'll work on the mouse.

PS:   It is about 80 Degrees here.   The weather man says it may reach 90 degrees tomorrow.

Tomorrow may be a good day to play Railroads.

It is an optical mouse and I think I have worn out one of the pad sliders.

It's getting too hot today to work outside, so i think I'll work on the mouse.

PS:   It is about 80 Degrees here.   The weather man says it may reach 90 degrees tomorrow.

Tomorrow may be a good day to play Railroads.

It was 99 here yesterday, 103 the day before. Today it "cools" to 91 with tropical moisture. One nice thing about living here, though, is that I don't have to listen to people saying "how nice it is" all day. Most people here hate it and say they hate it. In stark contrast to the Kansas City area (where I lived for 11 years) where most are overjoyed with their steam-bath of a miserable summer and they all hate the smidgeon of winter that KC has. I loved the KC winter.

The older I get, the more I hate this time of year. I hate the heat and I hate the sun burning into my windows until nearly 9:00PM. My (pipe)dream is to retire and live on the coast and, if I had my druthers, to never see 70 degrees again. Next year I'm hoping to take a leisurely journey north, along the coast, and investigate.

I lived in Fresno during my early years.  It was normal to have a few days each year above 120 degrees.

Moved to Oregon a block from the beach where on average the winters are warmer than the summers. 

The central coast of Oregon sticks out into the ocean so far the winter storms quickly pass by leaving mostly sunny days.

In the Summer time, a cold wet fog tends to hang around hiding the sun. 

It is a nice place to live if the don't mind the summer traffic from inland people trying to cool off.  

Seattle is known for it's year around rain.  This year we missed our snow pack and so far most of our summer rains.

Today the temperature went into the 90s.  This doesn't happen very often.  Drive North along the beach into Washington

and you will come to a rain forest with about 200 inches of rain each year. Drive along the beach North about 30 miles toward Seattle

and you will find Squim where about 8 inches of rain falls yearly.   There is just about something for everyone.

I believe science can control the weather.  About 15 years ago Russia ask Bernio if they wanted Russia to send a major storm 

to put out a many square mile forest fire.  Bernio said no. the more jungle that burned the more farm land was created.

Three or four years ago Russia blamed the US for using HARPs ability to control the weather thus causing a Russian drought.

Now I wonder if Russia is doing the same thing to us.  This year has not been normal.

• Upvote 1

I lived in Fresno during my early years.  It was normal to have a few days each year above 120 degrees.

Moved to Oregon a block from the beach where on average the winters are warmer than the summers. 

The central coast of Oregon sticks out into the ocean so far the winter storms quickly pass by leaving mostly sunny days.

In the Summer time, a cold wet fog tends to hang around hiding the sun. 

It is a nice place to live if the don't mind the summer traffic from inland people trying to cool off.  

Seattle is known for it's year around rain.  This year we missed our snow pack and so far most of our summer rains.

Today the temperature went into the 90s.  This doesn't happen very often.  Drive North along the beach into Washington

and you will come to a rain forest with about 200 inches of rain each year. Drive along the beach North about 30 miles toward Seattle

and you will find Squim where about 8 inches of rain falls yearly.   There is just about something for everyone.

I believe science can control the weather.  About 15 years ago Russia ask Bernio if they wanted Russia to send a major storm 

to put out a many square mile forest fire.  Bernio said no. the more jungle that burned the more farm land was created.

Three or four years ago Russia blamed the US for using HARPs ability to control the weather thus causing a Russian drought.

Now I wonder if Russia is doing the same thing to us.  This year has not been normal.

Thanks for that info.

I looked and looked for Squim and almost gave up. Then I stumbled upon Sequim on Google maps and figured that's what you meant. Fascinating that it gets so much less rainfall than nearby areas. Based on the data at City-Data.com, Sequim's mean resident age is 57.9, compared to Washington state overall at 32.2. Clearly a magnet for older folks.

I haven't seen much of Washington - only what you see driving through the eastern part of the state from central oregon up 395 to Spokane, then on the Coeur d' Alene.

One day I'll make the trip north and get a first hand feel for how much I like it. From what I've heard about the sociopolitical culture up there, my expectations will be low. San Francisco, Berkeley, and, to a degree many other Bay Area cities are social cesspools as well - uninhabitable, but you don't have to go far in this area to be a world away form that. It's been a decade or more since I've been to SF and that was probably a decade later than my previous visit. If there is ever another one, it will only be to cross the Golden Gate heading north.  

As living standards continue their downward slide in the US, more and more towns have a dirt-bag or 3 on every corner. I've heard the homeless are everywhere up there (Oregon and Washington), particularly on the coast. If I see that in place after place, I'll likely give up on my dream to escape the heat and turn my focus to other possibilities in the mountain west or northern plains.

Again, thanks for the info - very helpful.

Sorry for the mispelled letter in Sequim.  It came up as a misspelled word and I simply guessed at the correct spelling.

Seattle is the bad area in Washington state.  We avoid even driving through Seattle.

I like the Washington Coast for all the RR history, logging and many old timers with their stories.

Oregon coast history is all but lost.   There is a small dinky switching locomotive sitting in a small yard near Bandon Oregon.  Seems a long time ago a 3 foot logging train loaded with logs tried to stop on a new bridge for a photo take.  The cars pushed the locomotive onto the bridge with wheels locked, thus causing the bridge to fail.   Loss of life caused lawyers to get involved and much of the RR still sits there today.  Only in Oregon will the people put up a sign saying.  Come for a visit but don't plan on staying.  Retirees from California now out number the natives and the sign was removed.

Sorry for the mispelled letter in Sequim.  It came up as a misspelled word and I simply guessed at the correct spelling.

Seattle is the bad area in Washington state.  We avoid even driving through Seattle.

I like the Washington Coast for all the RR history, logging and many old timers with their stories.

Oregon coast history is all but lost.   There is a small dinky switching locomotive sitting in a small yard near Bandon Oregon.  Seems a long time ago a 3 foot logging train loaded with logs tried to stop on a new bridge for a photo take.  The cars pushed the locomotive onto the bridge with wheels locked, thus causing the bridge to fail.   Loss of life caused lawyers to get involved and much of the RR still sits there today.  Only in Oregon will the people put up a sign saying.  Come for a visit but don't plan on staying.  Retirees from California now out number the natives and the sign was removed.

So I take it you don't really live in Seattle, but in the metro somewhere?

I'll have to check out Sequim when I come up someday and I probably wouldn't have but for you mentioning it. With all those seniors, will I find it closer to Midwest clean-cut conservative? Or more PNW style tattooed, tattered, and toothless?  :D 

• 2 weeks later...

The majority are conservatives but few of them vote.   In the bigger cities, you will find even more none voting conservatives.

The very wealthy mostly live in like minded gated communities or on the shores of a Lake.   The average yearly income for Satellites is over a million dollars.  Not a place I can  afford;  nor, do I like the traffic problems caused to force poor people to live out of the city and ride the trains or buses to work. 

The toothless ones live at least 25 miles out of Seattle in groups.  Some even live up the mountain in Bigfoot territory.  ???

The majority are conservatives but few of them vote.   In the bigger cities, you will find even more none voting conservatives.

The very wealthy mostly live in like minded gated communities or on the shores of a Lake.   The average yearly income for Satellites is over a million dollars.  Not a place I can  afford;  nor, do I like the traffic problems caused to force poor people to live out of the city and ride the trains or buses to work. 

The toothless ones live at least 25 miles out of Seattle in groups.  Some even live up the mountain in Bigfoot territory.  ???

I wonder if they don't vote for the same reason(s) I don't.

Satellites? Not sure what you're referring to in that context.

I've been mulling over retirement options and I keep getting drawn back to the Pacific coast after considering other options like New England or Great Lakes settings. The more I think about it, the more I know the coast is where I need to be. But I would consider most of the multitude of Puget Sound waterway settings to be in that category as well.

My top 2 priorities, after the cool summer temperatures and scenic beauty of the coast, are people quality and cost of living. So from your experience, where am I going to find more attractive options....Oregon or Washington?

Satellites, My word for the people of Seattle. 

I do vote because I dislike the transport of illegal voters to vote for the Democrats. 

The Democrats seem to own the judges.   So nothing is done. 

We have watched these illegal people unload from the buses and they were told who to vote for. 

If they don't speak English, someone would vote for them before the illegals are paid for a correct vote. 

Seattle has over 20 cars that are stolen each day and about one killing each night.   Oregon is about the same.

No state income tax in Washington or no Sales taxes in Oregon.  That is a toss up.

The coasts are cooler in both states.  Go East in both states for summer heat and cold winter weather.

Because of possible earth quakes, I live on the back side of a hill. 

I would think all these things are about the same for all three Western coastal states.

Best place to live.  I've lived in both places.  There are more retirees on the coast of Oregon.  No Sales tax but higher cost of living.

Cost of living is about the same in Washington, more sales tax but lower costs for housing.  Again a toss up.

It seems those who live on the border can live in Washington and cross a bridge to shop in Oregon.  Now that is a plus. 

Stay away from the Seattle area or big cities.  There are more people wanting to buy houses then there are houses to buy near big cities.  

Satellites, My word for the people of Seattle. 

I do vote because I dislike the transport of illegal voters to vote for the Democrats. 

The Democrats seem to own the judges.   So nothing is done. 

We have watched these illegal people unload from the buses and they were told who to vote for. 

If they don't speak English, someone would vote for them before the illegals are paid for a correct vote. 

Seattle has over 20 cars that are stolen each day and about one killing each night.   Oregon is about the same.

No state income tax in Washington or no Sales taxes in Oregon.  That is a toss up.

The coasts are cooler in both states.  Go East in both states for summer heat and cold winter weather.

Because of possible earth quakes, I live on the back side of a hill. 

I would think all these things are about the same for all three Western coastal states.

Best place to live.  I've lived in both places.  There are more retirees on the coast of Oregon.  No Sales tax but higher cost of living.

Cost of living is about the same in Washington, more sales tax but lower costs for housing.  Again a toss up.

It seems those who live on the border can live in Washington and cross a bridge to shop in Oregon.  Now that is a plus. 

Stay away from the Seattle area or big cities.  There are more people wanting to buy houses then there are houses to buy near big cities.  

So I'm sitting here this morning contemplating the road ahead a few years and I stumble upon this, upon looking at another news story. I guess the other one finished and here comes.......

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4356513070001/report-mega-quake-could-kill-13000-in-pacific-northwest/?intcmp=watchnow&playlist_id=trending#sp=show-clips

Everything west of I-5 destroyed in a monster quake decades overdue. How 'bout my timing?  :D

Iowa has some nice features, after all....

Interesting.  I read about this earth quake scare a few days ago.  It seems like every 2 or 3 years for the last 50 years a big quake is again predicted.  It is now over due by 75 years.  I grew up living on an earth quake fault in California.  I never felt the ground shake.

I Moved to the coast of Oregon for two years.  The coast has signs telling people how to find high ground should an earth quake hit. 

While I don't perceive it to be a big threat,  I do believe it is beneficial to be prepared.

Now I live near Seattle, no longer directly on that earth quake fault; but, over 50 plus miles from it.  I also have a 2000 foot coastal mountain range, the Sound and the back side of a small hill (300+ feet elevation above sea level) between me and the fault zone.  

From what I read, the plate off the coast is sliding inland under the plate I live on thus creating the coastal mountain range.

The water in the sound is deep and could get pushed up into Seattle.  I would worry more if my plate was being push down and not up. 

A bigger problem might be that big volcano about 30 miles South of me.  The back side of it has been hot for many years. 

Otherwise I like the area, even the coast, a place we visit nearly every year.  If I had found a job there we would be living there now.  

Interesting.  I read about this earth quake scare a few days ago.  It seems like every 2 or 3 years for the last 50 years a big quake is again predicted.  It is now over due by 75 years.  I grew up living on an earth quake fault in California.  I never felt the ground shake.

I Moved to the coast of Oregon for two years.  The coast has signs telling people how to find high ground should an earth quake hit. 

While I don't perceive it to be a big threat,  I do believe it is beneficial to be prepared.

Now I live near Seattle, no longer directly on that earth quake fault; but, over 50 plus miles from it.  I also have a 2000 foot coastal mountain range, the Sound and the back side of a small hill (300+ feet elevation above sea level) between me and the fault zone.  

From what I read, the plate off the coast is sliding inland under the plate I live on thus creating the coastal mountain range.

The water in the sound is deep and could get pushed up into Seattle.  I would worry more if my plate was being push down and not up. 

A bigger problem might be that big volcano about 30 miles South of me.  The back side of it has been hot for many years. 

Otherwise I like the area, even the coast, a place we visit nearly every year.  If I had found a job there we would be living there now.  

This story is everywhere now, it seems....out of the blue. At around the same time that we hear more and more grumbling and bemoaning about Californians moving to the PNW. Coincidence or sociopolitical engineering strategy? The way people are manipulated these days, it's hard to rule anything out.

I just have to grin and shake my head at the timing that I hear this - for the first time in my life....almost to the day that I start to really focus on the coast as my destination and away from other options. 

It's hard to know what to believe. Like you, I'm inclined to think it's a small threat. But, on the coast with the Tsunami, a threat so deadly that it might be impossible to truly forget about and truly relax. And if there is anything I want to do in retirement, it is relax.

In any event, it will greatly behoove me to work a few more years (part-time), so I wasn't going anywhere right away and will be in the planning phase for a while. This story is the reset button in that process.

Towns along the fault line, if a quake hits, will rock and roll;  But, the big buildings are earth quake proof,  so they say.

Most of the old brick buildings are long gone.  Very little room for more buildings in Seattle or Portland for that matter.

They continuely tear down the old and build new taller buildings.  I don't believe Seattle & Portland will be toast.

There has been a lot of talk over the years about yellowstone taking out 5 or 6 states should it blow.

The last million years has given our world much to worry about if Political-Science is correct. 

If its not huge space rocks then its' the sun shooting cosmic blasts at us.

I think you are correct it is more political then real.   

China has invested heavily in the N.W.   Now which political party did they join.  The World War 3 party.  

Not much safety left to enjoy anywhere.

I received 17 windows up-dates last tues.  Maybe part of windows 10  ??????    Now that is something to worry about.   :blink: