Wyrmsun - an RTS game inspired by Warcraft II

MrFlibble

2 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

I've played the most recent version (v2.6.1). There's a lot of cool new features compared to the previous version I played, like temples and spells. However there are two things I need to note:

1. The OpenGL mode which is on by default causes graphical glitches for me (Windows 8), like this:

zdOMq6R.png

B9fdPOL.png

I had to switch to the SDL mode which doesn't have any issues.

2. I found the regrowing forest feature very annoying. I would ask to at least make it optional like the day/night cycle. IMO it doesn't add anything to gameplay (workers seem to be unable to cut down trees faster than they regrow), and on some maps where building space is limited it outright interferes with the player's strategies.

Hmm, I can't reproduce the graphical issues =/ Were you using full-screen or not?

About the forest regrowth, it was indeed a bit too fast. I've doubled the time it takes now (for the next version). It previously took 10 minutes to regrow, while it now takes 20. The forest regeneration speed can be modded in /scripts/stratagus.lua:

--  Set forest regeneration speed. (n* seconds, 0 = disabled)
	SetForestRegeneration(1200)

2 hours ago, Andrettin said:

Hmm, I can't reproduce the graphical issues =/ Were you using full-screen or not?

Yes, I was running fullscreen, this was a random map and after a while it started glitching like this. I turned OpenGL off and haven't tried to reproduce the bug further. However before that I had tried v2.5.3 (IIRC) and it glitched in a similar way right after the start of the first Dwarven dungeon quest. I wasn't aware of the OpenGL renderer back then because I didn't have the time to test that version properly.

Good to know tree regrowth can be disabled :)

I've asked this in the Stratagus forums (which are now hidden from users not logged in for some reason), is there any chance of making bigger unit sprites for Goblins and other small creatures? Goblins are sorta hard to tell apart because of their size and colour, especially at higher resolutions. I know it's extra work for the artists but I think it would be worth it.

3 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

Yes, I was running fullscreen, this was a random map and after a while it started glitching like this. I turned OpenGL off and haven't tried to reproduce the bug further. However before that I had tried v2.5.3 (IIRC) and it glitched in a similar way right after the start of the first Dwarven dungeon quest. I wasn't aware of the OpenGL renderer back then because I didn't have the time to test that version properly.

Good to know tree regrowth can be disabled :)

I've asked this in the Stratagus forums (which are now hidden from users not logged in for some reason), is there any chance of making bigger unit sprites for Goblins and other small creatures? Goblins are sorta hard to tell apart because of their size and colour, especially at higher resolutions. I know it's extra work for the artists but I think it would be worth it.

Remaking all goblin, kobold and gnome units would take a great amount of effort... it is not really feasible. Each unit has about 60 frames, when you multiply that by the quantity of affected units... the game would have to receive no new graphical content other than those slightly larger sprites for several months in order for them to be done. And I personally think the size of the gnomes/goblins/kobolds is pretty good as-is, if they are increased in size then they would be as large as dwarves, which is too big for them. I do want at some point to include a "zoom mode" though, allowing the player to zoom in on the map with 2x the scale, which will make it easier to see units on larger resolutions (while keeping interface size the same).

About the graphical issues, it is probably an issue with the resizing code for fullscreen; I'll take a look at that.

Well, I think if your artists have time to maybe polish the existing unit sprites a bit that would be great. It's very noticeable that while the art for buildings and terrain is top notch, units just don't reach the level of quality that can be found in Warcraft II where units were pre-rendered. Don't get me wrong, I like the graphics in your game but there certainly is room for improvement.

BTW, has the grand strategy mode been disabled? I think I missed that.

Also, what's the difference between quests and scenarios? I have played The First Dwarves and I remember that in an earlier version (something around v1.9.5) this would be followed by the dungeon quest with the mead. Now this one is a separate quest, and The First Dwarves is not linked to any other campaign scenario. How does that work? Why were these scenarios separated?

1 minute ago, MrFlibble said:

Well, I think if your artists have time to maybe polish the existing unit sprites a bit that would be great. It's very noticeable that while the art for buildings and terrain is top notch, units just don't reach the level of quality that can be found in Warcraft II where units were pre-rendered. Don't get me wrong, I like the graphics in your game but there certainly is room for improvement.

BTW, has the grand strategy mode been disabled? I think I missed that.

Also, what's the difference between quests and scenarios? I have played The First Dwarves and I remember that in an earlier version (something around v1.9.5) this would be followed by the dungeon quest with the mead. Now this one is a separate quest, and The First Dwarves is not linked to any other campaign scenario. How does that work? Why were these scenarios separated?

The scenarios are played on much larger maps (256x256), and allow you to continue playing after completing the main mission, gaining then the objective of defeating all other players. They also have side-quests to help you get started, such as one for building farms. They also have a more sophisticated set up, with a world map for Earth and another for Nidavellir being in the game, and then when a scenario is chosen a portion of the respective map is used, with the situation at start varying dynamically according to the scenario's start date. My intent is to eventually transfer all the other quests to the scenario mode.

About the grand strategy mode, yes, it was removed to allow focusing on the game's core RTS gameplay (I made an announcement about that on Steam some time before doing so). It was taking too much time away from working on the RTS itself, and ended up requiring duplicating features. The larger maps in the scenario mode are intended to compensate for that, and they are planned to become larger as performance improvements allow (i.e. to 512x512). The GSM can still be played by going back to version 2.5.3, though (it is available on Steam as a branch through the "beta options"), though.