Wyrmsun - an RTS game inspired by Warcraft II

MrFlibble

Hey, the difference is that by buying "Wyrmsun" you get one copy of the game, and with the "Wyrmsun 4 Pack" you get four of them (if you want to gift copies to 3 of your friends).

Oh. huh. You might want to add some kind of small description to that...

• 1 month later...

I've noticed a new trailer at the IndieDB page. Who's the person doing the narration? He kind of sounds similar to one of the guys in the Interactive Entertainment CD-mag reviews.

Also, I totally loved

Grand Strategy Mode - I have no idea what I'm doing.

Felt the same way when I first tried it :D
  • Upvote 1

I've noticed a new trailer at the IndieDB page. Who's the person doing the narration? He kind of sounds similar to one of the guys in the Interactive Entertainment CD-mag reviews.

Also, I totally loved

Felt the same way when I first tried it :D

Hehe :P

Even with the new popup tooltips there was still confusion?

The person who did the narration was Kyran (who maintains the stratagus.com website and develops Aleona's Tales).

• Upvote 1

Even with the new popup tooltips there was still confusion?

The first version I tried was 1.0.1. IIRC there were no tooltips yet.

BTW, I've just realised that Wargus in its default state can switch between a Warcraft II style vertical sidebar and a horizontal bottom bar in Aleona's Tales. Does this mean that an old style sidebar can be used in a mod without the need to change the code, just via scripting?

Also, the Stratagus forums seem to have been pretty quiet lately. I wanted to ask about the mods and add-ons that were announced for Wyrmsun, namely Wyrmsun Thunder and Timeless Tales (which I can't quite understand whether this is the same thing or not)?

On another note, Kyran has been able to compile Wyrmsun Thunder in Linux. Have there been similar attempts for vanilla Wyrmsun?

• Upvote 1

The first version I tried was 1.0.1. IIRC there were no tooltips yet.

BTW, I've just realised that Wargus in its default state can switch between a Warcraft II style vertical sidebar and a horizontal bottom bar in Aleona's Tales. Does this mean that an old style sidebar can be used in a mod without the need to change the code, just via scripting?

Also, the Stratagus forums seem to have been pretty quiet lately. I wanted to ask about the mods and add-ons that were announced for Wyrmsun, namely Wyrmsun Thunder and Timeless Tales (which I can't quite understand whether this is the same thing or not)?

On another note, Kyran has been able to compile Wyrmsun Thunder in Linux. Have there been similar attempts for vanilla Wyrmsun?

Ah yes, in 1.0.1 there were no tooltips for the grand strategy mode indeed.

About the UI, yes, it can be changed just via scripting. The dwarven UI, for instance, is defined in /scripts/dwarf/ui.lua. Some things may also need to be changed in /scripts/ui.lua to make everything be positioned as you want. If something is unclear to you about how to change the UI, let me know and I'll try to help.

Wyrmsun Thunder was a mod Kyran was working on for Wyrmsun, but now it's going to be standalone, so it has been rebranded Timeless Tales.

Yes, Wyrmsun runs fine on Linux. On Steam there is now a Linux version of Wyrmsun, for instance (kindly compiled by Akien). To compile it for Linux one would just need to compile the engine located in this repository:

https://github.com/Andrettin/Wyrmgus

And then put the data from this repository in the same folder:

https://github.com/andrettin/wyrmsun

• Upvote 1

May I ask what the features of this expansion are? The topic at the Stratagus forums is a little bit specific for someone not familiar with the Stratgus modding community.

It's not an expansion to Wyrmsun, but a standalone game using the Stratagus engine and some of Wyrmsun's graphic assets. I don't know what Kyran's plans for the game are, what I know is that he was working on new game modes and scenarios, and also had posted some ideas for new units.

Thanks for the explanation!

As for the inactivity in the Stratgus forums, have you moved your development discussion elsewhere? Also, mind if I ask, have you been able to commission more artists' works for the project using the funds from the sales?

Thanks for the explanation!

As for the inactivity in the Stratgus forums, have you moved your development discussion elsewhere? Also, mind if I ask, have you been able to commission more artists' works for the project using the funds from the sales?

Unfortunately mainline Stratagus is at the moment no longer being actively developed. The person who was updating the engine has said he is no longer interested in doing so. To my knowledge only my fork of the engine (Wyrmgus) is still seeing active development.

About art, thankfully yes :) Some examples:

potion_red.png

runewriting.png

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you plan to add more Earth civilizations? There are obvious choices like Romans or other European cultures (Polanie anyone?), but maybe also something from other continents/regions too? I'm thinking War Diary/Seven Years War here.

In the distant future, yes. The main issue is having the necessary graphics to add them. Romans and Celts would probably be the best ones to add, as their units and buildings can be gradually added to the game, with each addition already improving the experience of the scenarios where the Germanic peoples fight them. And when those are completed, add the civilizations neighboring them and so forth. For more distant civilizations like the Japanese or Chinese, they would need to have all units and buildings from the first to contribute to the game's experience. Naturally I would gladly add them if the graphics were present, but to focus the commissioning of graphics on those civilizations would not be as cost-efficient at this moment as focusing on the Romans/Celts instead.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 23.3.2016 at 0:41 PM, MrFlibble said:

Version 2.0.0 has been released recently:
https://github.com/Andrettin/Wyrmsun/releases/tag/v2.0.0

For some reason, the IndieDB page has not been updated since v1.9.6, and the latest news announcement is about an even earlier release, v1.8.0.

Yup, and the game is also now free on Steam (with two DLC packs being sold instead). You can see the full news here:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/370070/announcements/detail/639881837106794629

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MrFlibble said:

Cool!

What do the DLCs add to the game?

The two DLCs add new faction-specific graphics. For example, the Brising Faction Flair Pack adds volcanic forge graphics for the dwarven Brising Clan's smithy:

screen_brising_faction_flair.png

The idea is that with the base game being free on Steam as well this will help spur the growth of the game's community :)

By the way, in the development version of the game the map editor is now also capable of creating mods, with new units and the like.

Edited by Andrettin
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

Now I'm wondering if Flair Packs should be added as separate entries to MobyGames... :)

Good question. Since they are cosmetic only, I guess not having a separate entry would make more sense. Unless other games' cosmetic DLCs have separate entries.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've played the most recent version (v2.6.1). There's a lot of cool new features compared to the previous version I played, like temples and spells. However there are two things I need to note:

1. The OpenGL mode which is on by default causes graphical glitches for me (Windows 8), like this:

zdOMq6R.png

B9fdPOL.png

I had to switch to the SDL mode which doesn't have any issues.

2. I found the regrowing forest feature very annoying. I would ask to at least make it optional like the day/night cycle. IMO it doesn't add anything to gameplay (workers seem to be unable to cut down trees faster than they regrow), and on some maps where building space is limited it outright interferes with the player's strategies.