Spots in Habbanya Erg

Charles

Hello Arakis,

Am I the only one to have noticed some imbalance on the famous map Habbanya Erg ? Every starting spot has 2 entrances except the bottom-right one which has 3 (left, top and right) . (top-middle starting spot has only 1 entrace but it is a large one)

In a classic tag-team match top vs bottom, it's not an issue if the player at bottom-right has an ally starting at the middle-right position because that will make the right entrance almost impossible to reach for the other team (those starting at "top"). However in a 1vs1, if you begin at bottom-right, it's very probable your opponent is at top-left: he can basically threaten your base from 3 ways while you can only threaten his from 2.

Do you think it does matter?

Hey!!! I just noticed that too!

It was my undoing just moments ago :D. (low resource version test)

But, this is just a thought. How many fields wide are all the entrances?

6 entrances with each 2 wide or 3 entrances with each 4 wide could be considered the same?

Sort of...?

However, in another topic, I claim that the top tier players all do the exact same thing. Spamming troopers, quads and combat tanks.

When a player has over 100 units in an attack, an entrance doesn't really matter any more.

It only matters if you start placing turrets in a game where you are a turtle.

:P

I disagree with your statement regarding top players that do the exact same thing. They don't. Actually I have seen lots of games decided by a strong sneak attack catching off-guard a player that was too much focussed on building an army at just one spot. Efficient sneak attacks don't need a lot of tanks, just 5 quads can hurt a lot if well microed and if surprise is achieved. In that regard, it doesn't really matter how wide entrances are. I think your opportunities are better to attack (and/or to sneak) if your opponent is at bottom right.

Well, than the one that you sneak attack upon is not part of the top players ;)

But that is my oppinion. Either way, when having to click only 3 to 4 icons every 6 seconds would allow any player to give a quick look on the radar.

If they didn't explore the area, than that is something that they need to work on.

Besides, I have seen experienced players that spam alot, but leave most units in the base for a while. So you can't sneak attack. To top this of, they even have several refineries at several locations around their base. Even 1 in the back where carryalls are doing their job.