[RELEASE] Build Queues Patch

mvi

The queue has built in hi-res patch. Use the .ini file to choose res or the dune2000config.exe

thanks! now it's working!!! :). as grunt lord said only works by putting the game in win98 compatibility, also i had to switch from 1366x768 to 1280x768 'cause i was getting the same error message (video card not support) although my video card supports that resolution. any thoughts?

by the way, I'm trying to play LAN between windows & linux. seems like the IPX to UDP patch does work in linux too. but when both systems try to enter in LAN menu at the same time: both systems freezes...

thanks! now it's working!!! :). as grunt lord said only works by putting the game in win98 compatibility, also i had to switch from 1366x768 to 1280x768 'cause i was getting the same error message (video card not support) although my video card supports that resolution. any thoughts?

by the way, I'm trying to play LAN between windows & linux. seems like the IPX to UDP patch does work in linux too. but when both systems try to enter in LAN menu at the same time: both systems freezes...

Not sure but i think cncnet works on linux. You can try it to play multiplayer.

There's going to be a new update to the Build Queues patch which will resolve the issue. Funky is already working on resolving the issue in his exe which MVI can then use to update his own.

Waiting strategy using "8 min no rush" and one bo (refinery spam) at maximum speed,

well, ok - still waiting. What I can say else...

Playing without economy you kill strategy. Also, about what kind of "micro" at the maximum

speed you're talking? Infantry against tanks? Or maybe, really good positioning of the units?

At maximum speed micro completely absent. In addition, there is still such a thing as network

latency. This delay does not allow to micro the infantry and vehicles. Chaotic game goes on

the micro. Crush infantry - is unreal, to avoid - too. I.e. someone as lucky.

Other "micro" like save broken tank, or substitute a blow harvesters, or to force attack, it is

not a micro, this is a regular game. Build queues is not cheat, it is a necessity. This is a step

to get away from the benefits due to the clique, to the advantage of thinking strategically.

A long time ago, оn the irrevocably died duneforum, i have wrote all about the shortcomings

of the game. We need to understand why d2k ceded StarCraft. The reason was a worst implementation.

I do not believe that this game can be rectified, even though the MVI and community has done so much.

What about the practice mode, I have build of the unreal hardcore mod from my countryman.

We communicated earlier and streaming his mod together(yeah, I know best way to streaming d2k).

There was everything tied to the strong economic side(two type of harvesters), weak pillboxes

and a ton of new and interesting units. Fight with a computer was difficult because he was

building units ~2.5 times more + in alliance + 4 hark = R.I.P (if you play alone).

He is an expert of the game balancing, because we tested 215 mod builds. Also we have many our

utilities(map editor, tileblock's editors, map render, . . .). Now it's all in the past, mod abandoned.

I never aimed to crack the dune. I just explore the game mechanisms(mechanics, behavior of units,

all in-game processes) and game engine. Therefore, I can safely say, interesting in dune at

the moment is too low.

Interest in the game will appear in the possibilities of the game. Not just different

possibilities needed. Simply put: in small things need to be a great opportunity.

I can easily explain what is missing. But no one will listen. I wonder when I see the pros play.

But when i see unbalance rounds due to a clicks - is absolutely not interested.

Elementary multitask - it's not an idea, it is - practice. When we confuse the sport with

intelligence - we are wrong. There is quantity, but there is quality - are two different things.

I do not want to be misunderstood, strategies for me are primarily interested in the fact that

the number of variants is inexhaustible. So when we go in way speed and concentration - the game

becomes monotonous. It's just my humble opinion.

What kind of micro? We can play a game and I will show you :P To name a few - positioning, engaging in favorable situations, reducing units lost in unfavorable situations, attacking on multiple locations (or bases) to gain map control or throw the other off the track, putting units constantly on guarding so they all keep hitting and not just some of them to basically have more units doing damage than the other party, putting infantry in front when engaging army without antiinfantry to reduce tank losses to minimum, attacking army from multiple locations to do more damage per second and avoid infantry getting killed. And I could go on like this for long time.

Also, in terms of tactical strategy, you can decide how you are going to play. You can be defensive and slowly advance while focusing on unit kills. You can control the maps with units so they cannot expand, and if they do, you have more choice. You can push expansion and when there are no units in main base, send small army to take out wind traps, so he goes low power and basically cannot do anything. Or kill production or focus on spice - just kill harvesters everywhere. Lots of choices.

And I can beat most people in 1v1 with a handicap, which means eveything costs 25% more and builds 25% slower, purely based on the fact that I'm all over the map. I'm also sure I could beat many people with this autobuild patch even if I haven't used it myself.

It is true that the delay is annoying and does impact the micro, but I will still kick your ass by big margin even with some lag. But you talk more like someone who plays against AI and never played against anyone online. What kind of strategy you want to put in? Air attacks? Or perhaps naval units? Or turtling in base while upgrading units? Maybe time to wake up, dune hasn't got that and I don't think anyone is gonna change it. I didn't quite get the second part of your essay (you'd need to be more specific), but as it is the game is about unit control and not forgetting to build and people like to play this way, unless they lose a lot.

What kind of micro? We can play a game and I will show you :P To name a few - positioning, engaging in favorable situations, reducing units lost in unfavorable situations, attacking on multiple locations (or bases) to gain map control or throw the other off the track, putting units constantly on guarding so they all keep hitting and not just some of them to basically have more units doing damage than the other party, putting infantry in front when engaging army without antiinfantry to reduce tank losses to minimum, attacking army from multiple locations to do more damage per second and avoid infantry getting killed. And I could go on like this for long time.

Also, in terms of tactical strategy, you can decide how you are going to play. You can be defensive and slowly advance while focusing on unit kills. You can control the maps with units so they cannot expand, and if they do, you have more choice. You can push expansion and when there are no units in main base, send small army to take out wind traps, so he goes low power and basically cannot do anything. Or kill production or focus on spice - just kill harvesters everywhere. Lots of choices.

And I can beat most people in 1v1 with a handicap, which means eveything costs 25% more and builds 25% slower, purely based on the fact that I'm all over the map. I'm also sure I could beat many people with this autobuild patch even if I haven't used it myself.

It is true that the delay is annoying and does impact the micro, but I will still kick your ass by big margin even with some lag. But you talk more like someone who plays against AI and never played against anyone online. What kind of strategy you want to put in? Air attacks? Or perhaps naval units? Or turtling in base while upgrading units? Maybe time to wake up, dune hasn't got that and I don't think anyone is gonna change it. I didn't quite get the second part of your essay (you'd need to be more specific), but as it is the game is about unit control and not forgetting to build and people like to play this way, unless they lose a lot.

I think you actually made just as many points about why it wouldn't matter as you did defending not having the patch.

I think you actually made just as many points about why it wouldn't matter as you did defending not having the patch.

That was in regards to myself. I could possibly still deal with someone who uses it if I don't, but it would matter in a sense that it would require less skill to play good. I'm not that important though since there are no people who could compete with me. With others, they will have countless units they will not know how to use. Games could then take literally hours. People would have to stop playing 8 min no rush, but I'm not sure if they are ready for that. Also, in RA there are hundreds of players who are fine without the queues and take it as part of the skill.

That was in regards to myself. I could possibly still deal with someone who uses it if I don't, but it would matter in a sense that it would require less skill to play good. I'm not that important though since there are no people who could compete with me. With others, they will have countless units they will not know how to use. Games could then take literally hours. People would have to stop playing 8 min no rush, but I'm not sure if they are ready for that. Also, in RA there are hundreds of players who are fine without the queues and take it as part of the skill.

I would think the economy would play into it as well, especially since experienced players don't really have any trouble controlling the map even with worrying about unit production. The 8 min no rush rule is a bit silly anyway in my opinion, I think it's a bit too long.

I would think the economy would play into it as well, especially since experienced players don't really have any trouble controlling the map even with worrying about unit production. The 8 min no rush rule is a bit silly anyway in my opinion, I think it's a bit too long.

I know it's long and other normal RTS games don't have that, but any attempts to get rid of this rule have been declined by others. They go like "let's play standard 8 min".

8 min is more like a casual game mode in my opinion, as it offers a peaceful beginning, so u can play it and relax for a while.

No rules is faster-paced, requires more apm and u gotta have great multitasking abilities to both defend and attack early. But is more fun and has bit more variety.

I like no rules generally more than 8 mins, as it's more fun and takes less time, but sometimes I'd choose 8 min just to have a slower-paced match :D Thats how I see these 2 game modes.

8 min is more like a casual game mode in my opinion, as it offers a peaceful beginning, so u can play it and relax for a while.

No rules is faster-paced, requires more apm and u gotta have great multitasking abilities to both defend and attack early. But is more fun and has bit more variety.

I like no rules generally more than 8 mins, as it's more fun and takes less time, but sometimes I'd choose 8 min just to have a slower-paced match :D Thats how I see these 2 game modes.

Maybe we could have 2 pools, one for "casual" play and one for ranked play.

I made it work! :) Thanks MVI!; runs flawlessly. I would like to have the option to use this patch also in LAN.

EDIT: I think this option should be merged, people should have the option to play with or without it. either online, lan or skirmish. that would be fair.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

How do I install this mod? I drop and replace the .exe into the root of the D2K and the game starts but I do not see anything but my desktop (though at d2k's default resolution). D2k is running and can only be killed bu task manager.

This was down on a clean install v1.06. D2k runs correctly when using unpatched 1.06 exe.

Is there a tutorial anywhere for this patch?

Also my 2 cents worth on if this should be available in multiplayer.... easy make sure that all players need to use the same version of the file, therefore if you are in multiplayer the group can decide and either all or none will have the feature.

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

How do I install this mod? I drop and replace the .exe into the root of the D2K and the game starts but I do not see anything but my desktop (though at d2k's default resolution). D2k is running and can only be killed bu task manager.

This was down on a clean install v1.06. D2k runs correctly when using unpatched 1.06 exe.

Is there a tutorial anywhere for this patch?

Also my 2 cents worth on if this should be available in multiplayer.... easy make sure that all players need to use the same version of the file, therefore if you are in multiplayer the group can decide and either all or none will have the feature.

Use the game default exe and rename the patch "dune2000.dat", overwrite the dat already present.

+1 -  I also think this feature should be available on multiplayer/LAN. With a simple option to get enable / disable this feature should be enough to make happy all players. The ones who want to play with it can, the ones who not, simply disable it.

There are several players against this feature online, we should make a poll at the forum. We should have a vote on this. The ones who want it should have the option to play with it.

+1 -  I also think this feature should be available on multiplayer/LAN. With a simple option to get enable / disable this feature should be enough to make happy all players. The ones who want to play with it can, the ones who not, simply disable it.

There are several players against this feature online, we should make a poll at the forum. We should have a vote on this. The ones who want it should have the option to play with it.

And how about a lobby with both people who want it and who dont? Which one to choose there? Both parts will whine about it.

And how about a lobby with both people who want it and who dont? Which one to choose there? Both parts will whine about it.

fair thought. but that's why democracy exist.. besides if you're disagree to play with it you can label your game as "no queues"... and what about the ones who want to play local lan games at home, (which is my case); we're a group of 4 people who reunite every weekend at my home to play. we don't even have a choice.
is there a way to enable it for local lan games, and retain blocked for online multiplayer?
  • Upvote 2

• 8 months later...