Sign in to follow this  
jacobdouds

Copyright?

jacobdouds    1

How do you copyright documents like that. I know it's easy to get past, but some people don't know how, and I am righting an FAQ I am getting paid for and need to know.

Shiroko    6

I just make something nice up and hope it will hold in a court.

At least it scares some people...  ;D

-Shiroko

jacobdouds    1

Okay, but you can't modify the Document without going around something I will keep silent in you honour. How do you put a lock on the document?

Acriku    2

Well you can make it read-only for the computer illiterate, and you can encrypt it from others. If you have proof you had it before anyone else, meaning you made it, it will most likely hold up in court.

gryphon    4

You can also save it simply as a PDF file. Most of the unexperienced computer users don't know how to alter that. :)

Acriku    2

Oh, well I'm sure you can still modify it, but can you save? That's what it stops, is the saving.

Shiroko    6

You can use password protection for MS word documents, either for opening or modifying them.

Though my FAQ isn't protected in anyway, except the fact I will try to sue anyone who will try to make money of it (Aside me, who would gladly like to profit from it...)

Acriku    2

Good job gunner  ::) I said this would stop the computer illiterate (or the hacker wannabes, etc). And it stopped me for about a few months till I found out the file had properties  ;)

gryphon    4

A few months ? ;D

Just make a PDF file of it and sign it with a 512 bit encryption. I'll want to see the computer illiterate who can crack that . . .

gryphon    4

You mean how to make a PDF file ?

Just use Adobe. [ not the reader ! ] And if you havn't got access to publisher [ which I can understand, it's not that cheap ] you can use Ghostview. There is a Linux and Windows version of Ghostview [ my Win version has that nice little ghost with those houdge red spectacles, it just looks funny ;D ]. The signing can be done with adobe itself or with encryption programms. Like PGP for instance.

jacobdouds    1

No no no, okay, everyone, download Shi's Dune2000 FAQ, and try to right in it. It's just a normal word doc, apart from that. You can't type in it, you can copy and paste the wholoe lot and type in it, but, not the original.

But.

Thanx for telling me how to make PDF docs. What do I need?

Adobe what?

Publisher.

Shiroko    6

You can't edit my FAQ?

You sure?

Ah well, I don't remember making it this way.

Hell, I don't even remember how to lock it this days.

Don't see my computer as much as I used to.

-Shiroko

vidiware    0

Thats good!

One of us have came back to real life congratulations!!!

How did u do it??

PC is better than Drugs,Sex and Rock n' Roll

Egeides    0

Adobe is the company I think. That's why Adobe Photoshop and other stuff also exist. The "Adobe Acrobat" is found in two programs: Reader (the free one) and Publisher.

If you get Publisher, Reader will come with it. With "Adobe Acrobat Publisher" (also called "Adobe Publisher" I guess), you can make PDF files and I'm sure that there's a help file coming with it. Maybe you wont even need any help file once you have it in front of you.