Dune 2000 1.06p - Game patching (bug fixes, new features)

FunkyFr3sh

I just wanted to find out how many different crate types the game has, so removed the code that checked if there is a crate on the cell you move into, this made it easy to go through all numbers but makes the game unplayable :D

So what all crate types are there?

Sadly this doesn't seem to be true entirely. I upgraded to Windows 10 today (everything went smooth) but Dune2K won't zoom to full resolution anymore. If I choose windows mode @ 1280x720 I can clearly see a 1280x720 game windows but the game itself just uses the original resolution. I tried all config options and nothing changed. Any ideas?

Sadly this doesn't seem to be true entirely. I upgraded to Windows 10 today (everything went smooth) but Dune2K won't zoom to full resolution anymore. If I choose windows mode @ 1280x720 I can clearly see a 1280x720 game windows but the game itself just uses the original resolution. I tried all config options and nothing changed. Any ideas?

Sounds more something like graphics card (driver) related. Try searching in the videocard menu for something with 'scaling' or 'fit-window' etc.

That was the first thing that came into my mind. I checked the scaling options and everything's set to fullscreen with the correct aspect ratio...

The scaling problems appear to start when using DxWnd, which gives me a tiny little screen with wrong colors. When choosing GDI Mode, it looks like in the screenshot below.

When using no DxWnd the game freezes after the "Dune2000 Intro" just before the menu screen.

2nisdcm.jpg

DxWnd+GDI mode has scaling turned off, I set it up to center instead (that's because the scaling performance was really bad with GDI mode)

The game starts in 640x400 (for the videos) and then switches the display mode to your chosen resolution. So it probably means the game is unable to switch the display mode and freezes

Can you try to change your game resolution to 640x400 (try 640x480 too) and start the game without dxwnd? This was you can prevent the game from switching resolutions

Another useful test would be turning off the videos, this way the game won't switch the resolution either

DxWnd+GDI mode has scaling turned off, I set it up to center instead (that's because the scaling performance was really bad with GDI mode)

That can't be. I was playing like this for the past weeks. Dune2K set to 1280x720 with DxWnd+GDI on a 2560x1440 screen and everything was fullscreen :D I can even prove it to you because it still runs with these settings on my girlfriends PC.

I tried 640x480 without dxwnd. It played the first video and freezed. I'll try without videos.

EDIT:

Ok. Without videos and DxWnd the game starts and is playable @ all tested resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 1280x720). Though it crashes while exiting.

With videos the first Dune 2000 video is being displayed, after that the game swiches back to the desktop, with a black Dune 2000 screen in the upper left. I have to logoff via taskmanager to get out of it.

Could you enable scaling with GDI mode just for testing. I remember Nyerguds wrote something about bad performance in his patch and it was always ok on my machine.

The scaling is normally only needed in window mode, with GDI it will center it to the screen when you resize the window. But I guess you are trying it in fullscreen mode? With full screen there is no scaling normally since the game switches the display mode and it will become fullscreen that way

I guess the problem is that the game won't switch resolutions anymore at all (that's why you are freezing), but DxWnd is smart enough to notice such bugs and allows you to contiue where the vanilla game would fail :)

Does the game work with the movies turned off?