Units in dune2000.dat

Luminar

I don't really know what is this file, but I have found some things related to the units.

The problem this is not the full dune2000.dat: #error "There were 15 decompilation failure(s) on 1723 function(s)"

Now I understand how units are working. All of them have an id inside the dat file.
Units without id will not appear ingame.

Another problem: The decompilation wasn't full, so some of the units are missing from this file.

The biggest problem: Recompiling the dat file is impossible with missing parts from it.

Now we only need a decompiler that can fully decompile the dat file, then we will be able to add new units!

• Upvote 4

I still need to read it properly..

If what you say is true adding a unit might just work..

Point 1.. How did and Who decompiled this??

Just curious..

MVI did. If it was as easy as recompiling with the changes we probably would have done it by now :p

We need another decompiler program that can decompile the full code....otherwise we can't rebuild dune2000.dat with the modifications.

Gruntlord. Maybe you know something about programming. You know good decompiler programs? :)

We need another decompiler program that can decompile the full code....otherwise we can't rebuild dune2000.dat with the modifications.

Gruntlord. Maybe you know something about programming. You know good decompiler programs? :)

First find the software used to create dune2000..

The exact version..

Maybe then we can decompile..

MVI rocks..

This is decompiled data. The computer can't recognize it, only human can understand this code.

It's because this is just binary code..

It's just like unzipping an apk(android package) file..

All Java code is already embedded..

Same way here also..

If there is a way to find the original compiling program used by Westwood..

Maybe chances of modifications are possible..

Although there would be more obstacles..

well if you rename dune2000.dat to .exe   it can be used to play.  maybe  change extension of file to  work with ?

Just changing to exe will work as the DAT file is the actual exe file and the other exe file is a launcher..

Although this doesn't solve the code of the game..

But if there is any way to find as said above this quote it'll be helpful..

There isn't a special compiler, the issue is the code isn't the actual source code, it is decompiled. It is an enormous endeavor to get it working properly after decompiling it.  If I recall, there was a fan project several years ago that tried to do that, but even when they managed to recompile the .dat the game was very unstable.

• Upvote 3

well they used seevral softwares not only c++     if   game waas running too unstable to play then  had to be done somethigng wrong. . whole code need to be analysed  to find out best way to crack it its kinda  old and  big maze we would need step by step recognize  functions 

if evry unit/structure has its own id tag  and added new unit/structure has no to  id  then game wont  let it use question is to find   id holde  maybe it can be modified without    dismantling it to single  part

Tibed modifies what??

That file will have a back end to the dat file..

The id must be connected there..

Reverse Engineer again??

it is essentially built using visual c++ right??

Any guys know visual c++ well in this forums??

The used version will be from back in time in the year 1997 or so??

Check

Tibed modifies what??

That file will have a back end to the dat file..

The id must be connected there..

Reverse Engineer again??

it is essentially built using visual c++ right??

Any guys know visual c++ well in this forums??

The used version will be from back in time in the year 1997 or so??

Check

Tibed only changes the .bin files

Ok. So it is very hard :)

I will focus on my new AI files.

5 years and I will be c++ pro (because school).

Some schools suck in teaching and i hope yours does well in teaching unlike mine..

Well let's hope a prophet of dune comes down to help us..

Say who was the author of sub-houses patch??

Maybe he can shed a bright ray on this issues, technically whoever he is he can..

Well someone ask CChyper for details without obstructing his daily non virtual life..

No one would like a nagging granny behind her/him..

Anyways if he could actually shed the light as I think maybe dune 2000 engine can be cracked fully and then it'll become either too boring or stay same..

Well anyways I'm still researching for RTS procedures in other engines to recreate Dune 2000 itself and allow the engine to be modified like adding user made missions like we do here although all algorithm I tried had a flaw and then I have college and my dad seems to want me off all my electronic connections..

So all my work is in stalemate..

May the future of dune be in your hands till I'm fully given an a OK from space command(Dad)..

Anyways I'll always be online..

Ask cchyper when anyone has time as far as i know from askn mvi he has done minimal job in it..

Well someone ask CChyper for details without obstructing his daily non virtual life..

No one would like a nagging granny behind her/him..

Anyways if he could actually shed the light as I think maybe dune 2000 engine can be cracked fully and then it'll become either too boring or stay same..

Well anyways I'm still researching for RTS procedures in other engines to recreate Dune 2000 itself and allow the engine to be modified like adding user made missions like we do here although all algorithm I tried had a flaw and then I have college and my dad seems to want me off all my electronic connections..

So all my work is in stalemate..

May the future of dune be in your hands till I'm fully given an a OK from space command(Dad)..

Anyways I'll always be online..

Ask cchyper when anyone has time as far as i know from askn mvi he has done minimal job in it..

Why do any of those things when opend2k gets better by the day?

• Upvote 2

any idea how we should work with this??

With the database dump? There is nothing you can do really other than use it for research. It is a dump from the IDA Pro HexRays decompiler that produced pseudo C formatted code.

• Upvote 3