Original Transcontinental Rwy

Ran across an article pertaining to the  cost of the first Continental Railroad, which I though might be of a trivia interest to reail buffs.

The initial cost was estimated at $100M.  In aid of the undertaking, subsidies of bonds, of which the interest was guarenteed, and grants of land along the line were awarded by Congress.

Those bond subsidy was divided into 3 sections.

1. For the most level portion, the rate was $16,000 per mile.

2. The portions of more precipitous, was set at $32,000 per mile.

3. And the mountainous being set at $48,000 per mile.

The total figures given were that for subsidies being that of $58,840,000.

With interest on the bonds in teh amount being guarenteed.

Land grants were that of 20 miles on each side of the line, at a rate of 12,800 acres per mile.

As such, the Union Pacific realized 13,875,200 acres.

The Central Pacific that of 8,832,000 acres.

Much of the land was worthless, but the shareholders did realize profits from the more fertile.

Just a bit of History. 

:)

It is interesting that Jim Hill's Transcontinental Rwy was built without land grants. 

When Hill's RR entered the State of Washington Tunnels became the greatest cost.

The first was build at some altitude making snow a major problem. 

I believe switch backs and very short trains were needed to reach the tunnel from the East.

While the tunnel was single track, there was extra sidings on both ends together with spurs

for electric pusher locos mostly used in the tunnels.

On both ends of the tunnel trains were broken into parts or put back together.

At the west entrance two passenger trains were stuck in the snow and waiting for the track to be cleared.

Far up the hill the snow broke loose and sweep the two passenger trains, sitting side by side, off of the track and into the deep canyon.

If I remember correctly, at the time it was the greatest loss of life in US history

The second tunnel was build at a lower elevation.  I'm not sure but I believe it is around 14 miles long.

Passenger trains are again using the longer tunnel.  And as of late are again running through the tunnel area in the daytime.

Good time for a ride.  We had a near record snowfall this winter.