ProjectY

X3M

The game that beats Dune2 on the android.

At least with downloads.

So I finally tried it out. Out of curiosity.

Is it really that good?

The gameplay at first is a matter of getting used to.

The graphics look amazing.

And what I really like about this game is that you can choose experience upgrades on 5 different statistics:

Health, Damage, Armor, Range and Speed.

But...

There is no tech tree.

There is no money involved.

For producing things, you only need time?

There seems to be a Rock/Paper/Scissor system. But it is hardly noticeable if you just start playing the game and everything gets thrown at you at once.

The difficulty settings make no sense.

And you cannot play real single player missions for a learning curve. It is a custom map right away.

I tried to look things up on the main page. But thus far, no mechanics are described except for how to control units.

Your goal is to control all regions. But having masses, you simply can have the whole map in a short amount of time. Then rush the remaining part with masses. It is ok if you loose 1 or 2 regions after controlling the map. You only have them for amassing your army.

Players need a good overview and a good feel for amassing every where.

And that is something that you have in any RTS once resources are unlimited. Thus a game type that I personally don't like at all.

Has anyone else experience with this game?

I have studied this game for a bit. So here are some bits.

It might require a zoom function in the menu as well.

There is for example an option to choose color and team.

You can not disable AI in a 4 player map.

But hey, those choices are about 6 mm² try pushing that with 100 mm² fingers:D

I still don't notice the differences between difficulty settings. In other words. I can conquer just as fast regions as the AI.

While AI should have a 3 times longer build on noob setting then the player. You can only conquer with fighting units. But you start without in that 4 player map (should learn the map names).

Any way, the learning curve that I mentioned. You can apply a time factor. And 2 is the maximum. This helps a lot for learning the game mechanics with just a few units.

An army of 15 is a BIG army in that kind of game play. Which is a good number for learning. You actually will make choices on the unitsnow.

The game crashed. Damn, was doing so well :D.

Before that I had a nice 1 vs 1 though. The AI didn't know what to do. Just 1 or 2 fighting units that tried to conquer. Soon my army conquered the map.

Except for the brain produce facility. Yes, I lost about half of my army against those 2 turrets. Turrets are strong. And my 2 EMP tanks did not help much.

I tried out the Rocket Tank;

good as support, but slow.

I tried out the Sniper suit;

I don't know, does it do something?

It shows massive range as well though.

And the above 2 units show a minimum range. Which one time helped the enemy strategically.

Soldier suit;

MASSMASSMASS

Anyway, they have a double robo brain, at least, that's how they look to me.

The EMP tank;

It actually shows its purpose, it also does friendly fire. OUCHH!

The Spiders and Scorpions, Well, basically show the same size. Look different though. This shows how much I still need to learn from this game.

They should hurry up with real single player missions.

Other units that I did not have, but already show their purpose in their naming are:

Repair unit and the Shield generator tank. (Not sure about the names, even at slow speed, the game takes a lot of attention)

I will make it my mission to know all the numbers on the current version.

Something that the creators should do though on their site.

Edit: never mind, they do have it.

www.projecty-rts.com/database

And more importantly, how is the combat resolved in this game?

More to post about this game soon.

Ow, it crashes again :D. They might wanna fix that.

Many bugs to notice. Although they don't stop the game.

Taking my time to reach the achievements. Easy but takes long.

A noticable bug here is. I got a 20 at once kill achievment. But not the 10 at once kill. :D

No save option, only a load option. Auch!?

Tried several tactics. Increasing the difficulty of the enemy. Only to test what is best against the AI.

Seems they don't even fight a losing war, they simply keep moving. hmf, that AI has to be adjusted in a way that they recognise a losing fight and die fighting, not simply give up.

The units, so imbalanced? I don't know. The enemy doesn't really fight back.

Each unit has it's own system, in a sence, just like SC2 has bonusses against targets. These units seem to have armor bonusses against weapons. But how it works exactly, I don't know.

The veteran units. Waaaaay to imbalanced. It goes to fast. They might as well give the units more specialized stats and start the XP spending later on.

They go in triangular steps by the way. While the upgrades are lineair. This is a good choice.

Thus far an update on this subject.

I sense sarcasm. :)

Ow, I am already sending them (or him/her) feedback.

More suggestions and questions than the actual bugs.

They got a big list. But they work on it too. And that is something that I respect.

I noticed how many bugs that I found are already in the todo list of them.

I still have constantly a "Ow, didn't know that yet" kind of situations. And that is what makes the game fun.

For example, the Sniper, they actually shoot the brains instead of the unit as whole. That is an awesome idea.

Every unit has brains and a body. Without a brain, the body slowly decays. However, switching 2 healthy units where one brain is experienced gives awesome effects. :)

In the beginning I suggested them to have a fast recon unit. But they already have the soldier suits and the brains for that. Plus they have a Spotter. Which is basic the same as the Sensor turret from Warzone 2100.

Now that I have experienced more of this game. I can go more into detail with certain suggestions.

• Upvote 1

Most important bug right now:

I can't buy new maps.

I don't have a credit card, nor will I get one.

Why can't I pay with my prepaid? I did that before though.

Another unfortiate bug/error:

When multiple units shoot, the sound starts "crackling".

The major flaws...

- They definitely need a proper forum.

One where people can discuss the game. And find things back without having to scroll down the huge list.

The forum type that they are using now requires a public shown email registration.

And, I don't know, can't put my finger on it. There is something about having to load entirely? It lags, lets say, it lags.

Maybe, just maybe, they comes here for a sub forum. But I highly doubt that.

- Each unit has it's own specifics.

There is no grouping of types. To make matters worse, each unit might even have it's own rules. For balancing this game, you need a big table. Not only that, but adding a new unit involves checking all other units. And expand the table in 2 directions.

- Air strike sucks in general, only a huge pack of slow moving units are a proper victim. I don't see the AI doing that.

Turrets, go meh! when hit by the air strike. What a bummer.

- XP gain is imbalanced ,for sure. A big tank can gain faster XP during combat. If dps=10, gives 10 XP. Then dps=100 gives 100XP.

On itself, not a problem. But you can put brains any where, and this includes switching between units. So when you level up very fast in the big tank. Then you switch with a more tactical unit. Another brain can level up fast. While you kill things with your veteran tactical unit with ease.

Still not a problem though, a tactical inconvenience --> convenience if you will.

- XP spending is imbalanced, for sure. A big tank can gain more bonus.

For balancing XP spending, there is this rule that high costly properties also cost a lot of XP when upgrading.

This only applies when the bonus is a percentage equal for all different units. If the XP spending is the same, then the bonus should be less if, for example the damage is high.

Let's say, 10 dps becomes 15 dps while 100 dps becomes 105 dps. This however requires more levels on the big gun.

But the game doesn't allow that either. To get the spending balanced properly, it should be unit specific for both gaining as spending.

Not an option.

Edit:

Not trying to be a dick, just pointing out the most important things that have been bothering me.

Overall, still a good game. Especially since you can get it for free by some people who do this as a hobby.

• Upvote 1

Achievments

That wont work. While i am sure i should have them. I am sure of 5.

10 kills in one strike.

Over 500 kills.

Over 10 hours of playing.

Plenty of Rocket tanks. (Perhaps in one game?)

over 2 hours of play against a 1+ opponent.

I get the feeling it has to be achieved in one game. Without saving and loading too. That needs to be fixed.