Skirmish Mission

Feda

It's been a while since someone released (publicly at least, since I got some missions + an emperor campaign from YouTube users but for some reason they don't release them) any missions here, so I thought I could upload this thing I had on my harddrive and that I started a while back. I wanted to have some sort of challenging skirmish on Habbanya Erg but the AI is pretty bullshit in normal practice games, so I decided to make a mission simulating a stronger AI. 

So here it is: the AI is pretty challenging, you will find yourself overwhelmed by masses of units. I had lotsa trouble with it on medium and prolly wouldnt be able to pass it on hard, idk, didnt have much time to try but anyway feel free to use the different difficulty settings to suit your tastes.

What does the mission contain?

You start off with 3 Wind Traps, 1 Barracks and 1 Construction Yard on top middle (Habbanya Erg starting spot). You also got some gun turrets to help you out, but they won't do magic so you'd better prepare an army quick. You got decent starting units + some reinforcements early in the game, but thats all the free firepower you are gonna get, so use it wisely as an initial defence until you manage to build up enough units.

The AI is expanded to 4 spots, the bottom ones + the middle expansion, but there are 3 spots where you can expand without having to destroy enemy bases (expansion will be needed later as you'll run out of spice without). The closest expansion spot to you (top right) has a few neutral structures, lightly defended, that can be captured. If you have a look, they are an Atreides High tech Factory (for airstrike) and an Atreides Heavy Factory (for sonic tanks). If you manage to capture those before the AI destroys them (AI is set to neutral to these as well, but it can turn hostile at any time) then you will be able to build those goodies, but I personally don't recommend making a primary objective of this, let it for later when you already have a steady cash flow and impressive army.

The mission isnt 100% polished, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Should be do-able on easy for all players, I think. Medium is for more like experienced players, and Hard is definitely for pros. You might consider having a look at THIS multiplayer guide if you have trouble winning this mission: these tips will help you pass it easier.

The .zip file contains 4 files, but only 2 are needed to play the mission. 

a) there are H8V2.map and _H8V2.mis, you can use these 2 if you have the Mission Select Mod. That way, you can select Harkonnen mission 8 version 2 and you won't need to replace any existing mission, as there is no H8V2 (not even in custom-made missions).

b) H8V1.map and _H8V1.mis - in case you don't have the Mission Select Mod, you can paste these 2 then load up Harkonnen Mission 8. The first method is recommended though.

To install the mission, simply place 2 of the files above in the missions folder of Dune 2000.

D2K_Skirmish.zip

• Upvote 3

As long as you don't change the AI or add/remove any units/buildings it's ok. I wanna make sure that the mission will stay as it is supposed to be: a challenge for all types of players, depending on the difficulty level.

• Upvote 2

As long as you don't change the AI or add/remove any units/buildings it's ok. I wanna make sure that the mission will stay as it is supposed to be: a challenge for all types of players, depending on the difficulty level.

Done...

Will add it with later updates..

I am menumaking and Challenge making now..

• 2 weeks later...

The mission isnt 100% polished, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Should be do-able on easy for all players, I think. Medium is for more like experienced players, and Hard is definitely for pros.

Not easy game! :-)

But thank you, it was interesting.

I have played on medium difficulty. Enemies have very big money :-) from the start.

Exactly money is:

500 000

And they make units (and buildings) everytime! even if they lost harvesters, because they don't need spice in THIS game to produce units. SO THREE enemies can create very big army very quickly.

:-)  Is this bug or feature?

How do another members of the forum think?

If you modify the AI logic like luminar did they can be very strong without excessive cash flow.

Not enough to pose any challenge. I can beat luminar's AI easily on hard diff level if I start a match skirmish-like.