Dawn of the Tiberian Age, install problems

X3M

I have 1.10. I want to try 1.12.

However...

I have trouble installing it. It says that only a moderator can install it. However, this computer is completely "moderated" by me. It is the only game that actually gives this error.

Even removing 1.10 doesn't help.

Nyerguds?

The developer is Nyerguds. See first post.

But I will try your link once I am back from my vacation ;)

I think that was the way how I installed 1.10 before as well. I guess, I still have to uninstall 1.10, right?

I already tried that link before. Those zip files don't work either.

If it comes to install software that doesn't want to work, I am clearly a retard.

A click and play it what is needed for someone like me :).

So if I start 1.10, there is somewhere an update option?

Nope. :(

I'm not a developer of DTA. I got a purely assisting role in the project, and their config tool is based on some code of mine.

I'd advise you to go to the PPMSite forum of DTA, and ask about it there, so Bittah or some of the other devs can answer you

• Upvote 1

I may not post, the confirmation code always seems to be incorrect.

Nor can I become a forum member.

I tried that on 3 different days.

Tried the installer again. This time notching happens. Then after a while, a page of "failed connection".

Both the zip files seem to be missing something important for the game to run.

I also tried that on 3 different days.

It is almost as if they don't want to share the game any more :(

Or they have an error in their files they are not informed about.

Or can be informed about.

Maybe it is the location where I live. It always happens with Westwood/EA games.

So I guess it is time to say farewell to that mod and label it as "not worth your time trying" from now on.

It's like trying to reanimate a dead corpse that is dead for over 10 years.

In other news. Warzone 2100 installers work fine. As always. So I will be returning to that game.

Yes, moderator is administrator.

By default, I am the administator on my own computer. No other accounts exist.

Yet I do get the question. Then I choose: run it as an admin.

But then simply notching happens.

Do note, there is no true administrator account on Win7 with which you can log in. You ALWAYS have to tell applications to "Run as Administrator" to give them the rights to modify things in the registry and the program files folder.

I can't imagine what DTA would realistically need that for, though...

So if I start 1.10, there is somewhere an update option?

DTA version 1.10 didn't have a launcher yet, so there's no way to update it. The launcher was introduced in DTA version 1.11 and thus only versions 1.11 and 1.12 can be updated.

I may not post, the confirmation code always seems to be incorrect.

Nor can I become a forum member.

Did you make sure to enter the captcha in reversed order and also to distinguish between upper case and lower case letters?

Tried the installer again. This time notching happens. Then after a while, a page of "failed connection".

Both the zip files seem to be missing something important for the game to run.

I also tried that on 3 different days.

It is almost as if they don't want to share the game any more :(

Or they have an error in their files they are not informed about.

Or can be informed about.

Maybe it is the location where I live. It always happens with Westwood/EA games.

Both DTA's installer/updater and zip packages work perfectly for most people, so I can guarentee you that no files are missing.

Just like FunkyFr3sh I'm getting the impression that an anti-virus or firewall might be blocking either DTA itself or DTA's internet connection, so try disabling your virus scanner and/or firewall and see if it works then.

If not, try installing DTA to a directory that's not in Program Files; this might help in case you're somehow not getting admin rights after all (right-clicking DTA's launcher and then clicking "Run as administrator" should also help in this case).

And if that also doesn't work, try running DTA without the launcher by renaming dta.dat to dta.exe and then running that, but take in mind that you then won't be able to play online, you won't be able to select your starting location in skirmish or select the factions for the AI players and you won't be able to see any map previews.

Also, could you tell me what operating system you are currently using?

Windows 7 Home Premium

Service Pack 1

Acer

Aspire X3900

Intel Core i3 CPU --- 530 @ 2.93GHz

6,00 GB RAM

64 bit

No virus scanner or firewall active at such events. Trust me, I know at least that much.

Also did them all backwards, and took notice of the capital. I guess I am just stupid with that kind of things.

But that comment about blocking got me thinking again.

Tried something new: I used Explorer instead of Firefox.

I got access to the file now, for saving to my hard disk.

So I put the installer on my disk.

(Yeah, Microsoft Explorer is full of holes, this time good for me)

O my.

The file has no picture, and does not work.

Changed the name into DTA_Installer.exe

Now it has a picture. So I did this on the installer. Not the actual program.

Now I finally got the option, run as administrator.

The program seems to download with Firefox the actual game. (Firefox is my standard browser)

Ok, got the game on my pc now.

Running that too as administrator.

Getting myself all the .mix files for the music.

Well, that was one hell of a ride from my point of view.

But it finally works. Thanks.

Sorry for the comments in the previous post.

No menu music? I loved that one. But the clicks, awwww yeah!

Spring 2014 for the single player missions? Worth the wait :)

Awesome, it works!

Maps, awesome!

Question, will you include an editor? I loved using the Red Alert editor, it was an easy to use. Simple paste type of editor. :)

It sounds like you're having some unusual issues, since the browser you download it with normally shouldn't make a difference and having to rename the installer after downloading it with Firefox is strange too (what filename did it have before you renamed it by the way?).

Possibly your hard drive or partition has errors? If so, it might be worth running CHKDSK some time.

To do this, open the start menu, type "cmd" (without the quotes) and press enter. Then type "chkdsk /f" (again without the quotes), press enter and it'll ask you if you'd like to schedule for the volume to be checked the next time the system restarts; now press "y", then enter and restart your computer, after which CHKDSK will start checking your hard drive for errors.

Anyhow, to answer your question; DTA does have a map editor included and it's located in the FinalSun folder.

Currently there is no support to use multiplayer maps online yet however, but this will also be added in somewhere in spring.

If you wish to use a custom map you made in skirmish, you'll either have to manually add it to the MPMaps.ini file that's located in the INI folder (use an existing map as an example to see how to add your own) or if you can't figure out how to do it, you can instead replace an existing map in the \Maps\Default\ directory with your own and then select that map in skirmish in order to play it (mind that the name of the map will then still be the that of the map you replaced if you do it this way). Adding custom maps will also be made easier somewhere in spring.

PS: thanks for the welcome, MrFlibble :)

• Upvote 1

It sounds like you're having some unusual issues, since the browser you download it with normally shouldn't make a difference and having to rename the installer after downloading it with Firefox is strange too (what filename did it have before you renamed it by the way?).

I downloaded it with Microsoft Explorer.

The strange thing is, other downloads show no problems with Firefox, but a lot of times with Explorer.

The file name before? Simply did not contain .exe

It seems that with downloading, my computer didn't recognise the file as an .exe if it doesn't say so.

But simply as an unknown file. So, opening the file from the internet never could work.

The installer itself used Firefox afterwards. And that all went well.

So if others can't use the Installer. While having Firefox and Windows 7. They simply have the same issue.

This also explains why the zip files didn't work. The file it was searching for was not found by the computer because that too does not have a complete name.

PS. I welcome you too to the forums.

Thank you as well.

DTA's downloads are hosted by Mod DB's download servers, which are also responsible for hosting files of thousands of other mods, so it's very unlikely that those servers are the cause of your issues.

Also, DTA's installer doesn't and can't "use" Firefox. After you've downloaded the installer and run it, it will download the latest files of the mod itself without using any browser.

I personally use Firefox and Windows 7 as well by the way and I also use Internet Explorer and Chrome for testing purposes, so I'm pretty sure that neither your browser(s) or your operating system are directly the cause of the issues you're having with DTA (and I suspect you'll most likely have these same issues after downloading other things as well, even if you haven't noticed it yet).

Your issues appear to happen while the mod is being downloaded/saved to the hard drive and are most likely caused locally somehow; for example by your internet connection, your hard drive, your registry or possibly even by some kind of malware infection.

Browsers nowadays see any file you download as "unsafe" by default. You can get rid of that unsafe status by opening the file's properties and clicking "unlock" or something.

That's the one. The issue that I am having. It also does this automatically with certain hidden downloads if there is no parent download.

The nice thing about firefox is that it also reports hidden downloads on the screen. Except cookies of course.

I will report once again if the updater doesn't work.

Updates with Steam work fine. The program is safe, thus the updates. That is how my computer works.

• 3 weeks later...

An odd thing just happened to me.

After playing the game for several times.

Today was the day for an update.

I thought, o goody. An update. Perhaps the high ranked MRLS will stop shooting my own units.

The game got erased instead...

Edit:

Yep, completely GOOONNNE

Not a single trace to be found. Except for the short cut on my desktop.

• 2 months later...

An odd thing just happened to me.

After playing the game for several times.

Today was the day for an update.

I thought, o goody. An update. Perhaps the high ranked MRLS will stop shooting my own units.

The game got erased instead...

Edit:

Yep, completely GOOONNNE

Not a single trace to be found. Except for the short cut on my desktop.

There's no way the client could have deleted all files along with itself; it's just not able to.

So either the files were actually still there, or an unrelated third-party program (such as a virus scanner) deleted the files.

By the way, in the latest versions it should no longer be necessary to run the game in administrator mode.