Windoze Beyond XP

Has anyone tried to run RR Tycoon II in a Windoze version beyond XP? I've been told that Win8 dropped support for old versions of some component that RR Tycoon needs. Even compatibility mode might be useless. Has anyone succeeded at running RT2 in Windows 8? What did it take?

What about Linux and Wine?

I ask because my PC just died, and I need to decide how to replace it.

I was told Compatibility wasn't needed with my version 7 - 64. 

But it was needed. The compatibility mode did work on my 7 - 64 machine.

You might want to fix you broken machine.

When My XP quit working, It turned out to be a shorted USB connection. 

I unpluged the The USB wire and pluged it in elsewhere.  All is well now.

I have windows 8.1 (32bit) Pro installed on 1 PC I have (most new computers have 64 bit windows so that may be an issue) nothing special installed on it. no games on it just microsoft office - it a test PC so I can try and get used to the windows 8 interface. 

So I ran a quick test. 

Installed platinum edition from original disc (to a folder I called games outside the program files folder)

didn't run game 

left disc in drive

Downloaded unzipped and copied the files from the 1.56 patch to the folder (don't know if this is NEEDED but ! wanted to be able to conntrol screen scrolling better)

ran the game from the folder.

Worked fine (I didn't need to set up any compatability settings)

I don't have a 64 bit windows installed anywhere at present so can't help with 64 bit

If you are building or setting up your own PC I think retail boxes (not OEM) of windows now include both 32 and 64 bit  whereas OEM versions are either 64 or 32 bit only.

Hope this helps!

I normally use 32bit windows  and have no trouble on that either.

PS I also rebooted the PC and RTII still worked (after I remembered to put the platinum CD back in!) as I hadn't set up any other add ons on the PC

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that RT2 v1.56 runs in Windoze 8. My nephew had problems w lack of DirectX support, so I wonder how you pulled it off.

Apparently, earlier versions of DirectX accessed hardware, while Win8 is supposed to insist on abstract access via the OS (I admit that I didn't fully understand what I read).

As for my PC troubles, I used a low-level format and repeated chkdsk runs to resurrected a previously troublesome SATA drive. I installed XP-pro (SP3) on it and have started the long road to recovery from backups. I'll be (re)installing SW for weeks as needed.