This video card does not support required modes.

TekGoblin

Hi TekGoblin, just wondering if you created another account/thread after this one because it didn't show up? Want to make sure not a bot. Also you're ip/country changed, which makes suspicious.

Just checking.

Hope you're real, and hope we can help you :)

Dear Forum,

I'm having the same problem. I tried the game on win95, win98, winXP, win8, and I am getting the same result all the time - the game crashes with the error message "this video card does not support required modes". My video card and monitor supports 4:3 640, 800, 1024, 1280, 16:9 1920. How do you make it work? How to force it to run in a window, or how to change the game's settings without the need to enter the game first?

(I installed it with the HD patch. without the HD patch it works fine)

Thank you.

Hi TekGoblin, just wondering if you created another account/thread after this one because it didn't show up? Want to make sure not a bot. Also you're ip/country changed, which makes suspicious.

Just checking.

Hope you're real, and hope we can help you :)

oh, sorry about that, I use a vpn service, so that might be the cause.

and cheers for the replies, lads.

Dear Forum,

I'm having the same problem. I tried the game on win95, win98, winXP, win8, and I am getting the same result all the time - the game crashes with the error message "this video card does not support required modes". My video card and monitor supports 4:3 640, 800, 1024, 1280, 16:9 1920. How do you make it work? How to force it to run in a window, or how to change the game's settings without the need to enter the game first?

(I installed it with the HD patch. without the HD patch it works fine)

Thank you.

You should also make sure only 1 option is checked for the highres patch (again, the installer selects them all by default, something I will need to change next time). Alternatly, you could always patch it yourself instead of using the pre-patched files if those are giving you issues.

• Upvote 2

You should also make sure only 1 option is checked for the highres patch (again, the installer selects them all by default, something I will need to change next time). Alternatly, you could always patch it yourself instead of using the pre-patched files if those are giving you issues.

That worked. After installing with the unchecked "high resolution", and the checked "1080 resolution", game works fine! Thank you for this patch - it really makes the gameplay much more pleasant. Now it is so much easier to build units and move around. However, I'd recommend the "high resolution" instead of "1080 resolution" because at 1080 you might fail to enjoy looking at units' and structures' details. You might need a magnifying glass to do that.

I should also add that the game will fail to start with the same error "video card does not support required modes" if you have any options checked in the dune2000.exe's preferences, compatibility tab. Make sure that you have everything unchecked there before you start the game in a resolution that is not 640x480.

• Upvote 2

That worked. After installing with the unchecked "high resolution", and the checked "1080 resolution", game works fine! Thank you for this patch - it really makes the gameplay much more pleasant. Now it is so much easier to build units and move around. However, I'd recommend the "high resolution" instead of "1080 resolution" because at 1080 you might fail to enjoy looking at units' and structures' details. You might need a magnifying glass to do that.

I should also add that the game will fail to start with the same error "video card does not support required modes" if you have any options checked in the dune2000.exe's preferences, compatibility tab. Make sure that you have everything unchecked there before you start the game in a resolution that is not 640x480.

Thanks for reporting back. I'm glad you got your problem resolved. If you want to thank the author,you can visit the patch thread here: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/19636-dune2k-high-resolution/page-35

I agree about the resolution, 1080 is a little high in my opinion, but it was a highly requested resolution to support.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Of course I'm having this problem, but I can't see how to not select the 1080p option, the whole install process seems to give no choices?  Would love to get this working.

Correct, you need to uninstall the game and reinstall it, but make sure the 1080p option is not selected (the installer tends to select it automatically).

Of course I'm having this problem, but I can't see how to not select the 1080p option, the whole install process seems to give no choices?  Would love to get this working.

we recently updated the installer so that it does not use the high resolution patch. If you downloaded in the last 2 months, you are using a version that does not use it. Can you tell me what version number is displayed in the launcher?

Thanks for getting back to me. Local Version: 1.6.1.9.

we recently updated the installer so that it does not use the high resolution patch. If you downloaded in the last 2 months, you are using a version that does not use it. Can you tell me what version number is displayed in the launcher?

For testing reasons, try to open "dune2000.ini" inside of your game folder, then add the following line below the section "[Options]"

RunInWindow=Yes

What is your native windows resolution? Do you have DPI scaling enabled in windows?

1- opened dune2000.ini and added RunInWindow=Yes

2- Native resolution is 1366 x 768

3- DPI scaling: "Maintain Display Scaling" is checked (not sure if that's what you meant? Sorry.)

If you have multiple monitors, you need to disable the additional ones before hand.

Thanks, appreciate the efforts.  There is nothing special about my setup, one monitor, one year old out of the box HP laptop.  Generally I find it kind of sucks though and will not buy an HP machine again.  These odd things not working for no apparent reason problems have plagued this machine since day one, and I don't do anything unusual with my computer (email, photos, watch a few videos, surf the net).

Anyway thanks again.