List of Dune Fan Games/Mods Website

Blake00

Hi guys,

First time poster, long time lurker here lol.

I recently did an epic 'Duneathon' watching both versions of David Lynch's film, both the miniseries, mucking around with my old savegames from Dune 2 and Dune2000, and finally playing Dune 1 & Emperor for the first time! :)

I like to tribute my favourite retro games and their related fan projects on my website so that fans never forget the hard work that went into them along with inspiring new talented modders/artists to do their own new projects, so naturally I couldn't resist creating a page for Dune games too! Plus it gave me a great excuse to check out the Dune fan game/modding scene and play some great stuff. I particularity enjoyed HD rez 6 player skirmish mode in Dune Legacy, the cool new campaigns in Dune Extended, and man do I have to get myself a copy of Civ4 complete so I can play Dune Wars!

So far I've found and tributed these game projects below (links are on my webpage). Please let me know if there's more out there I haven't found and I'll tribute them too! :)

http://blakessanctum.x10.mx/Games/DuneGames/

(Note: Originally built in 2001 this website is still deliberately very late 90s early 2000s retro in design. So if you’re not nostalgic for old retro websites with music, animating gifs & left click browsing then you probably won’t like it)

lID39LN.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dune Related Games & Mods list (Updated 2/1/2017) :

Top Projects

- Dune Wars - Total Conversion Mod for Civilization IV
- Super Dune II Classic - Total Conversion Mod for Dune 2
- Dune Legacy - Dune II Remake
- Dune II eXtended - TC Mod for Dune 2 (& Super Dune 2 Spin Off)
- Dune Dynasty - Enhanced Dune II Reconstruction
- OpenRA - Dune2k + C&C + Red Alert Remake
- Dune II The Maker - Dune II Remake (From the maker of Arrakis)

Other Cool Projects

- Dune IV - Dune3 Sequel (Can't seem to find his Dune3 though?)
- Dune II Online - Dune 2 Online Port
- Dune II TBFA Online - Dune 2 Online Remake
- Arrakis - Dune II Style Game (Went on to D2 The Maker)
- Dune200XX - Total Conversion Mod for C&C3
- Dune C&C3 - Total Conversion Mod for C&C3
- Battle for Dune: War of Assassins - C&C Renegades Style Dune Game
- Dune FPS Mod - A really cool Total Conversion Mod for Operation Flashpoint
- Dune Raiders of Arrakis - Russian RPG TC Mod for Warcraft 3
- Dune Adventure Game - Point & Click Dune I Style Sequel
- Emperor Chronicles: Rise of the Corrino Empire - Dune2k Addon
- Dune II The Golden Path - Dune II Remake
- Dune 2000 Grunt Mods: Rise of the Mercenaries - Dune2k Addon
- OpenDUNE - Dune II Reconstruction
- Planet Arrakis - Dune II Online Remake
- Charge: Dune II Imitation - Java Based Multiplayer Dune
- Dune: Evolution - Total Conversion Mod for C&C3
- Dune: War of the Spice - Dune Remake via Unreal 3 Engine
- Dune Tribes - TC Mod for Starsiege Tribes
- PredaN00b's Dune Mod - Total Conversion Mod for Starcraft II
- Dune Clone - Dune II Remake
- Dune 32: Strike Back - Dune3 Back 2 Desert Sequel 
- Dune 3: Back 2 Desert - Dune II Sequel (went on to Dune32)
- Total Annihilation Dune - TC Mod for Total Annihilation
- Dune Redux 3 - Dune2+C&C+TA Remake
- Dune 2000 3D - 3D remake of Dune 2000, doesn’t look like it got far sadly
- Dune Returns - TC Mod for Unreal Tournament 3
- Dune 3: Return of the Guild (Formerly Return to Arrakis) - Amiga Dune II Sequel
- Dune War - Dune II Remake
- OD2 - Dune II Remake
- Neverwinter Nights Dune - TC Mod for Neverwinter Nights
- Dune Desert Power - TC Mod for Battlefield 1942
- Dune 2000: Spice World - TC Mod for Warcraft 3
- Dune - C++ Dune RTS Remake

If you have any cool demos, videos, and pictures that I don’t have for projects in my list please contact me. Also please let me know if there are there any other Dune related game/mod projects out there that I haven’t listed here. :)

Edited by Blake00
  • Upvote 3

Great site.

Are you going to include board and card games as well?

How about fan based novelty?

PredaN00b's Dune Mod - Total Conversion Mod for Starcraft II

I followed that one for a long time.

Is dead for a long time too.

And as far as I know. You can't access this mod any more. But I might be wrong.

Since he is busy, it is understandable why he discarded this project.

The SC2 editor is simply way to confusing. And you can't get things right, even with effort. You are expected to study the editor. Which is only possible if you are a nerd or someone who has no job or other life trilling events.

Thanks man, it's a labour of love for me haha :)

Yeah people have suggested that for some of my other sections on the site too but I generally purely concentrate on computer/console based fan games and mods as the list/page just get too out of control if I include all the fan literature and board games etc.

Yeah I listed PredaNoob's dune mod as a dead project as I couldn't see any signs of life sadly.

I had a look in that old pinned thread in this forum and saw 3 more projects I didn't know about that I'll have to add to my site:

Dune Dynasty
Dune 3: Return to Arrakis
OD2

Dune 3: Return to Arrakis has a link to a thread here which isn't loading as i'm guessing you guys had a forum update since it was posted. Anyone know how to convert it to the new address so I can go have a snoop? I tried and failed miserably lol.
http://forum.dune2k.com/index.php?topic=21639.msg343426#msg343426

In all the years and all the forums that's the first complaint I've had lol.. guess it had to happen sooner or later.

Yes as X3M said its VERY deliberately retro & yes it breaks a few of the 'what makes a good website rules' but the 'still in the game' atmosphere my pages try to create generally make most people forgive lol. I first started the site in 2001 (not 90s but close enough as I probably did start thinking ideas in the late 90s haha) and yes it actually was a Geocities site for many years funnily enough!! Now while I've moved the site and made many visual changes & improvements in the 13 years since I've always deliberately kept the retro feel (I talk about all that in my About the site section). The site covers almost entirely retro games and their fan projects, the only new stuff I generally cover is sequels to old stuff lol.

Dune 3: Return to Arrakis has a link to a thread here which isn't loading as i'm guessing you guys had a forum update since it was posted. Anyone know how to convert it to the new address so I can go have a snoop? I tried and failed miserably lol.

http://forum.dune2k.com/index.php?topic=21639.msg343426#msg343426

I think that project has been abandoned, but here you go:

http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/20274-new-dune-2-clone-project-dune-3-return-to-arrakis/

Or rather, it changed the title to Return of the Guild and can be found here.

I can't fix the link in the Dune 2 clones thread though, due to some peculiarities of the new forum engine that haven't been sorted out yet.

Well, I got ADHD; stuff constantly moving in the background is VERY distracting to me X_x

Turning off JavaScript may help a bit :)

I first started the site in 2001 (not 90s but close enough as I probably did start thinking ideas in the late 90s haha) and yes it actually was a Geocities site for many years funnily enough!!

Actually, I think I might have encountered your site somewhere in mid-2000s (before Geocities were shut down). Not sure though.
  • Upvote 1

Turning off JavaScript may help a bit :)

Don't think that stops animated images. Also, javascript is browser-global in Opera, and disabling it kills the IRC function built into the browser since it uses Javascript internally.

I do have a function to just disable animated GIFs, though :P

cool site..

love the retro feel..

btw I'm making a dune 2000 at the present..

moddb page:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/emperor-chronicles-the-rise-of-corrino-empire/

official website:

http://www.ectroce.webs.com/

game is called 'Emperor Chronicles The Rise Of Corrino Empire'..

'ECTROCE' for short..

Nice to see the Dune phenomenon back..,

Frank Herbert will be happy..

update:

check this out

http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/25981-warcraft-3-dune-raiders-of-arrakis/

Edited by THE AQIB

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey everyone, sorry its taken me a while to get back you but its been a busy year! I've spent the last few weeks working hard on updates to my website and this week I turned my attention on to my Dune page. Thanks to your messages and old posts in this forum I've managed to almost double the list of Dune fan games/mods and located screenshots for most of them ensuring they're never forgotten! If there's any more out there please let me know. :)

Games Added:

Dune Dynasty - Enhanced Dune II Reconstruction
OpenRA - Dune2k + C&C + Red Alert Remake
Dune200XX - Total Conversion Mod for C&C3
Battle for Dune: War of Assassins - C&C Renegades Style Dune Game
Dune - Raiders of Arrakis - Russian RPG TC Mod for Warcraft 3
Dune Adventure Game - Point & Click Dune I Style Sequel
Emperor Chronicles: Rise of the Corrino Empire - Dune2k Addon
Planet Arrakis - Dune II Online Remake
Dune: Evolution - Total Conversion Mod for C&C3
Dune: War of the Spice - Dune Remake via Unreal 3 Engine
Dune Tribes - TC Mod for Starsiege Tribes
Total Annihilation Dune - TC Mod for Total Annihilation
Dune Returns - TC Mod for Unreal Tournament 3
Dune 3: Return of the Guild (Formerly Return to Arrakis) - Amiga Dune II Sequel
OD2 - Dune II Remake
Neverwinter Nights Dune - TC Mod for Neverwinter Nights
Dune Desert Power - TC Mod for Battlefield 1942
Dune 2000: Spice World - TC Mod for Warcraft 3

Well, I got ADHD; stuff constantly moving in the background is VERY distracting to me X_x

Back in January when I visited you were just another forum poster to me but now I'm a HUGE fan of your work!! I'm working on a C&C page and discovered I'd lost all my old 90s savegames for C&C1 & Red Alert 1 and so I decided to replay them and came across your C&C Gold 1.06c plus PortableRA which I believe you had a hand in too. Was so awesome to play all the campaigns, addons and extra console missions in high resolution and seeing all the extra RA console videos in the PC version. Was just brilliant! Sent them to a whole bunch of mates who all had a blast reliving their youth too. :)

Ermm but anyway back to the Dune page updates I normally keep animating backgrounds to a minimum in other sections of the site but I went a bit overboard with the dune section so I've addressed some of them inserting long breaks at the ends. As you pointed out the main page animation really was too much and never equalled the image in my mind when I dreamed up the page and wanted to pay homage to the film but recently I had the idea that Dune games often have viewscreens playing communications or battle footage so I looked a various moments from each game and decided to take a Harkonnen army briefing shot from Emperor Battle of Dune and insert the original animation onto a holographic viewscreen (using my crappy drawing skills lol) so now only a small part of the background animates. Hopefully its less annoying! :)

Hmm. Not sure I actually did anything on PortableRA... that's mostly Iran's thing. But the C&C95 patch... yeah, that's my baby :) (I should really start working on it again, though -_-)

By the way, "Dune Dynasty" is missing a real description in your list here (It just says "Dune"), and the description on the site is wrong: Dynasty is not a Dune II remake. It is an enhancement of the original game, built on the reconstructed original source code of the game, from the OpenDUNE project. The difference is that Dynasty, below the enhancements, is still 100% the original game engine, and thus the original game behaviour.

On that subject, calling OpenDUNE (not "Open Dune", btw) a "Windows port" is also somewhat inaccurate: it is a complete source code reconstruction of Dune II. The fact this reconstructed source code can be recompiled in Windows is just a side effect; it can just as easily be compiled for Linux. Or, as Dynasty did, it can be expanded on :)

[edit]

Ohh. I think I know what my supposed contribution to PortableRA was. Red Alert: The Lost Files (also known as "TLF"). The Playstation version of the Counterstrike and Aftermath missions (released as the stand-alone game "Red Alert: Retaliation") contained briefing videos for the missions, whereas the PC version didn't. I extracted and converted all of these to PC, and added a few of my own reconstructions of videos from trailers and such (the Tesla Tank video is still my favourite of these :)). But since RA doesn't accept just any video filename (unlike C&C95, oddly enough) I did a quick and dirty edit to the game's exe file to replace the original campaign video names with the TLF ones. Iran actually did this as proper hack, adding my TLF video filenames to the list of supported videos.

Yeah my categories need some more work! Need a short version of your sentence descriptions though lol! I can write as much as I want in the individual game webpages but on the main webpage list I try to keep it 3-5 words to fit.

Yeah I knew someone else had put PortableRA together but was pretty sure I'd seen that you did the lost files (I never even knew about psx Retaliation & the cutscenes until I saw your site!!) and that the upgraded config tool was either your work or based on your C&C gold work? Took me 6 months (around regular life lol) to play every single C&C & Red Alert campaign mission (original, addon, console import, secret) but it was an absolute joy. I always HATED those scan lines in the windows version videos so I was so happy to see you'd got rid of them! Didn't have much trouble with them either, C&C Gold crashed a few times over the months (sometimes when I was saving my game :O ) but RA never crashed once, was perfect! Rest assured when I make my C&C section soon I'll be telling every visiting fan to get their collective asses over to your site to get the required files haha!

Hmm. Could be they based it on my tool, yes. There's a really good ini-reading system and translation system in that little thing.

As for Dynasty, I'd just call it an "enhancement of Dune II". It's a lot like my own 1.06 patch, actually, only Dynasty was lucky enough to have source code. As for OpenDUNE, it's a "source code reconstruction", though calling it a "Windows/Linux port" is pretty accurate too ;)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

wow thanks guys. I've added these new projects to my Dune Games Website while doing the latest updates.

Spad: Woah that Operation flashpoint Dune FPS one is really good. I stumbled a cross some awesome gameplay videos not from the authors. In this one the guy hides in the dunes and launches a missile assault on a Harkonnen base blasting vehicles, men and turrets.. and in this one he's a spice harvester crewmember desperately trying to escape a giant worm attack, it doesn't end well haha!

Hmmm I notice this forum has changed and I can't seem to edit my first post to reflect the latest changes? Where's the edit button these days? Update - I've got one for this post but not the older ones grr..

Oh well while I can't update the list in this thread I've certainly updated my site lol, here's the latest changes..

New Dune related projects added:

Dune FPS Mod – A really cool Total Conversion Mod for Operation Flashpoint

Dune C&C3 – Good looking Total Conversion Mod for C&C3 Tiberium Wars.

Dune 2000 3D – 3D remake of Dune 2000, doesn’t look like it got far sadly.

C++ Dune RTS Remake – Added to RIP section as unfortunately I didn’t take snaps of his videos in time before he took them down.

Changes made to existing Dune content:

General - Contents menu added.

General - All back buttons changed to utilise HTML bookmarks. Now users don’t have to re-scroll down the entire page constantly! :)

General - Fixed some missing slashes in code.

Dune Wars - Added new info about project revival.

Dune Legacy - Added new info about 2016 HD graphics overhaul.

Battle for Dune: War of Assassins - Added a new cool picture of sunset sniper rifle.

Edited by Blake00

On 9/25/2016 at 0:24 PM, Blake00 said:

Hmmm I notice this forum has changed and I can't seem to edit my first post to reflect the latest changes? Where's the edit button these days? Update - I've got one for this post but not the older ones grr..

Oh well while I can't update the list in this thread I've certainly updated my site lol, here's the latest changes..

Yeah... you can't edit posts that are more than a year old. I already complained about it... which prompted them to give it as privilege to members with +500 posts or something silly like that. As if this forum has enough activity to warrant that kind of limitation anyway.

I mean, it's not as if people who posted here years ago and only come back now would ever be spambots or anything like that X_x

Edited by Nyerguds
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Have you seen the Dune 2 mod for Rusted Warfare?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1893092397

At the moment units seem to work nicely and look good. Only grievance is that carryalls don't work automatically. Multiplayer matches are possible.

...but in skirmish, the AI doesn't seem to care to build a refinery so AI matches are quickly over.

The mod is still in developement, so I hope that Skirmish AI and the automation of carryalls will be fixed.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 7:10 PM, lisko said:

Have you seen the Dune 2 mod for Rusted Warfare?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1893092397

At the moment units seem to work nicely and look good. Only grievance is that carryalls don't work automatically. Multiplayer matches are possible.

...but in skirmish, the AI doesn't seem to care to build a refinery so AI matches are quickly over.

The mod is still in developement, so I hope that Skirmish AI and the automation of carryalls will be fixed.

No I hadn't! Thanks for that! Remind's me of the Sega Genesis/Megadrive version of Dune 2 from back in the day. I'll add it to the list for the next update whenever that'll be haha.

Speaking of new discoveries I saw someone posting today in a C&C facebook group about a Dune 2000 remake in the Unreal 4 engine.. it looked pretty freaky.. annoyingly the guy didn't post any links to a project page or community and ignored all requests for them so all I can do is link to the facebook post if people want to check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/commandandconquer/permalink/3541781985866334/

I'll drag a picture on here though...

119966211_10207683902491820_394954151838208381_o.thumb.jpg.87c25077c3b7d42bd4e91c3e1d1c71af.jpg

• Like 1