Help mission 3

Hello all, First I will introduce myself, my name is Florian and I live in France, in Toulouse, and I'm 23.

So i wrote this message because I need help for third mission. I choose to go across USA, establishing a link between New-Orleans to Los Angeles (easier I think) and I have to transport 6 loads before 1882. 

That's what I do, but mission still failed ! I reach to transport from N-O to L.A, may I need to reach transporting from L.A to N-O to accomplish the mission ??

Thank you for your futures answers !  

PS : I precise I play in hard mode (the most hard in mission mode)

Ok, I went into the editor to look at the medal events then played through it myself. I was granted a bronze win at the end of 1882 when I closed the ledger of that year.

Are you 100% sure that you hauled 6 loads? If your trains are robbed all passenger and mail loads are lost. Is it possible that one of the trains crashed and you missed it?

Do you have any saved games in the last few (game) years? I am in the habit of saving my games every couple of years just in case something happens and I lose all my effort.

I played this game when I was really younger, 10 years ago or something like this.. ^^ I know what you explain, I assure I made all correctly, I'll explain how I proceed :

- construct a line between N-O and Beaumont

- build 2 big stations on each one (taking care about placing them, they have to include industries around)

- Buy 2 trains : 1 N.O/Beaumont

2nd Beaumont/N.O

Both with travellers/postage and accessory a restaurant cargo. Signals settled on orange.

-> Earn money and extend to a ressource needed at N-O (cotton most often) to create availabilities at N-O to export).

I think this is a good basis for this mission. Then you extend and connect other offers to demand and construct the railroad required to connect Los Angeles with money you've won. I still take care about making the plattest way possible, it's better way than passing accross the mountain directly. I put in place the same system for this last. And finally I buy a train especially to link N.O to L.A (lights on red) bringing merchandises manufactured on place.

So my trains aren't empty and this first train should be sufficient to win the mission.. It takes few years to arrive but it arrives, and before the end of the year 1882... The train has a very slow speed so impossible to have an empty cargo..

In my mind all elements are present here to reach the goal, but still lost.. Begin to make me nervious lol !

Sorry, just some ideas. Glad you know the game more. I am scratching my head to figure out what might be wrong. ???

Did you save your game part way through? You could make it a zip file and upload it so I can try it in my game to see if it does the same for me. If you want to do this Click on the "More Reply Options" below the window you reply in. Then click on the "Choose Files" below the window that appears.

What version of the game do you have? I am using Platinum V1.56. I am not aware of any mistakes in the earlier versions, but it is a possibility.

Very sorry, I can't help anymore with this one. I wasn't even aware that you could play this on a PSOne. I have only ever played on the PC.

Have you ever played on the PC? If so, how does it compare? I am curious.

Are you aware that cargo can be any freight or passengers and mail? When I tried it I made 4 trains of passengers and mail with 3 carriages each. Hooking 6 cars up to these early steam engines is not the best way to do it. The massive money you earn when they arrive will ensure you get silver.

If you want to get gold start with only 700k of other investors money when founding your company. Take out a bond. Place a large station covering all the houses in Houston and Beaumont. Connect to Dallas/Fort Worth. Buy two trains then buy back enough shares so you own half of your company. Even if you don't expand anymore this run will give you enough money to connect in time without taking out any new bonds. Your Personal Net Worth will be high enough when your long distance passengers arrive in LA. Pretty simple really. Hope you enjoy.

On PC or PS it seems to be the same, both versions have same missions as we can see. Cargo can t be passengers or.mail, I must transport merchandises.. 6 cargo on same time I think is equivalent to make 3x2 travels for example. I never played on PC but I possess PC version, but I m nostalgic from this psone version ^^

I think I ll be locked on this, I won't be able to finish the game because of it... Grr.. Maybe I should pass to 4th mission, but I would like absolutely to accomplish this third mission.. :/

Yes, 6 cars on one train should work too. They will just take longer to make the trip. I know it doesn't matter what type of cargo is hauled on the PC version maybe it was changed for the PS? What does the briefing say?

How hard is it to lay track on the PS version? I read a little about it and you can't save either? That really would be frustrating!

Enjoy the game however you like, but there is so much more available for the PC version: the Second Century campaigns, Platinum extra maps and heaps of fan-made maps on this site too. Some of the fan-made maps are great fun to play. They do get quite complicated though.

A lot is going on here. 

I want ask how do you start this game? Since you mentioned you played this game 10 years ago, did you start from a saving or a completely new game? Because you may not remember which route you chose 10 years ago before you play the scenario and proceed to connect N.O. to L.A. while the actual requirement is connecting St. Louis and Sacramento.

BTW, you can't choose which route you connect in the game, you must choose it from the campaign board where the old man is talking. No matter which option you choose, the news will always congratulation to you when you make any connection, but not the credit for winning.

If it's not this reason, maybe it's still because the trains are not fully loaded as you set the first 2 trains as yellow. Do you know that the dinning car does not give you credit for transporting? If you set up 2 passenger 1 mail and 1 dinning, yellow light, you may only get 2 goods loaded and depart. Even you set 3 passenger 1 mail and 1 dinning, 2 loaded cargo are still able to depart. If so, you might only haul 4 cargo with the first 2 trains. The third train may not arrive on time.

BTW, do you know you can check how many goods a train is hauling are loaded or empty? You can count them and see if there are 6 cargo on the way. If a train is running slow, not directly indicates it's fully loaded, empty cars still weigh 2/3 of loaded cars for passenger and mail.

I don't know about PS1 but there sure is a lot of dialogue here...

On PC, gold requirements must be completed before the end of 1878, not 1882.

-Company book value >= $10M

-Personal net worth >= $8M

-The stations to be within the hidden territories of L.A. and N.O. as defined by the author. The territories are fairly large so it would be hard to miss them, but it can happen.

-The loads, 6 or more BETWEEN the territories, but the trains must not stop at any other station along the way. Else that station will be designated as the originating station.

-Not sure about going through a waypoint. You probably don't have waypoints anyhow.

On PC we don't have to do the scenarios in order, and can even redo any of them as long as we leave the last one for last.

The most likely culprit is that one of the stations is not actually inside the city limits of the city for which it's named. To check, you can get exact coordinates by right-clicking on empty squares and then figuring out what numbers the center-track cell of a station. Then open the map in the editor to see of those coordinates are inside the city (or territory) used in the victory test event.

Jeffry, that's what I thought first. That's why I asked did a newspaper come up confirming the connection in my first post. Obviously not the problem here. Also if you had looked in the editor you would have seen the large territories that the creator put on the map for the connection cities.

I think outofmage sorted this out. His post about the connection newspaper firing even if it was the wrong connection is the key I believe. I don't know much about how events work and didn't work this out when looking in the event setup. It would have been nice also if the status page worked properly in these originals. We can wish.

http://postimg.org/image/ljf5b6y4v/

http://postimg.org/image/5dne2aibz/

Here is what I need to do to accomplish the mission.. We talked with outofmage, and we really don't see what can make me lose.. About good station building, he explained me that newspaper doesn't necessary mean it' correctly connected to the city..

But it's mandatory good placed, look : http://postimg.org/image/xf112c3wr/

Then you're right, I don't need to make this mission to reach the next but it's sensed to be an evolutive difficulty, so if I don't reach to do the 3rd, 4th will be harder lol :/

The photos of the briefing look the same as on the PC. I hope that you will try again and win this challenge.

RRTII seems simple, but has a few subtleties that make a big difference.

Two tips that are worth their money:

1. Lay straight track as much as possible. Did you know that any grade on or right near a corner will be treated as double by the game?

I look for the straightest, flattest route possible with any corners on flat ground. With the old engines a 3% that becomes a 6% will kill your engine speed.

2. Cover two towns with a large station. Before 1900 I only haul freight for fun. Passengers are your gold mine. If you can cover more than 12 houses by covering two towns with your station - Great. 12 or more houses makes that station a metropolis to the game. The demand level is the highest possible, recovers the most quickly, and you get plenty of passengers to make use of that.

This map has quite a few cities that are close together you can use for a cluster. As I expand I change my routes to longer ones. This gives much more money. Just remember to buy more trains. The longer distance means they will take longer to make the trip.

• Upvote 1

I finally accomplished the mission friends.. I changed strategy, I made 2 trains with 4 freights. And i was winning.. It didn't work with 1x6.. Bizarre.. Now in 4th mission it seems to talk about placing money in shares etc.. Some detailed informations about it please ? Not really explained in PS' manual. :/

Replying to Jeffry: I have not done testing to arrive at an actual figure. If that is what you have found I wont argue. Thanks for setting it straight.

Sorry, I oversimplified a bit. This is how I think of it: at 2% the grade is treated as 4% and I will do my best to keep straight tracks below 4%, so corners need to be below 2% to be manageable even by the early "mountain" locos. (With the exception of the Shay)

There are other factors at play here.

- Momentum is one of them. Once a train is turning it loses a great deal of the momentum with which it would attack a grade on straight track.

- Because grades do not always display correctly while laying track on uneven ground there is a considerable risk that either one side or both sides of the track are actual steeper than the grade displayed.

- They are more likely to become bottle-necks with traffic stopping and starting and running over each others tails.

Corners on grades is one feature of the game that makes the AI really uncompetitive. I have seen a string of 10 or so trains trying to climb a twisty mountain pass stopping and starting one another and all there cargo is becoming worthless due to time deliver reductions.

• Upvote 1