RT2 - Windows 7 - saved games

steve39

I've never stopped playing RT2 Platinum (but only the really hard scenarios) ;)

Good to see that The Terminal is still active.

Now I'm on Windows 7 everything is fine - except that I cannot find the folder of SAVED GAMES in order to delete old saves, that are now filling the display - grr!  I've looked everywhere and it doesn't seem to be showing: where's it gone, please?

Steve

I run Windows 7 too. I have the "games" folder inside my "Railroad Tycoon II - Platinum" folder.

If you are having trouble finding the "Railroad Tycoon II - Platinum" folder, I would suggest finding it either by searching the computer or going into shortcut properties to find the target.

If you are in the"Railroad Tycoon II - Platinum" and still can't see it, maybe it is hidden? What folders can you see there?

I have noticed an improvement in game speed after clearing out 200 or so old saves. I put them in a different folder on my desktop so I can put them back into the "games" folder when I want to play them again.

I fear Microsoft Windows is being too smart once again, and makes decisions where files have to be stored. Every Windows version brings this kind of shocks to me. If you have installed the game into Program Files, Windows may decide to "protect" that directory and put your saves that ought to be in a subdirectory there, into your user profile.

Look into here for GM2 files (GAM for the basegame). C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\*

It should also be possible to use Search over an entire hard drive for *.GM2

Thank you all kindly. Spurred by suggestions to hunt in unexpected quarters such as Users, I think I have found the folder in two places:

C:\Users\Default\Saved Games        

C:\Users\(my name)\Saved Games

The first is old and seems to have come via my external back-up hard drive; the other is recent. Both are empty, which may be because I uninstalled RT2 and tried to re-install it.

Whereupon I am now hitting InstallShield failure and nothing I've done so far has fixed it. 

My life was so happy until I got Win7! 

Steve

Sounds like you bought a "Steam" version of the game. It hides things in your Windows profile. The exact location has been posted elsewhere.

If you have a CD version of the game, then files should be in under "program files" in your RR Tycoon II PT folder (however you named it). You might search for files having a ".GM2" extension.

I too have a 64-bit PC and RT2 ran OK - until I uninstalled it, hoping that a re-install might fix the missing file. Still no solution to the InstallShield problem.

It's the Platinum version on CD.  What is meant by the "Steam" version?

Steve

InstallShield frequently refused to run even on XP. That is an unreliable installer that always needs several files on the target system, and may be disabled by wrong registry settings.

Steam is a legal download server for games. I've dealt with only one Steam game, and it was an executable wrapped into another executable (to make it twice the size) and some DLLs. The outer exe then would spit out the contained one, when executed, and control how that sees the system.... This was not RT2, however.

If the Windows search function can't find any GM2 files, you can try using another file manager to do the searching, like Total Commander.

This question has been asked before on HawkDawg's site.

I use Windows 7, and the saved games are in a very counterintuitive spot... though I didn't buy the game from Steam.  Like Jeff said, they are under one's profile.  Here's where they are stored on my machine:

C:\Users\[NAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Railroad Tycoon II - Platinum\games

Yours are probably in the same spot - just put your profile name in the place above ([NAME]) and hopefully you'll get there.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Akuenzi's answer is also concise and to the point for win 8.

After you find the files with a search of *.gm2, you can right click and drag from the subdirectory name and make a shortcut on your desktop and place it in your RRT2 subdirectory if desired.

Interestingly but not necessary for the above, AppData is a hidden file. If you want to find it, click on "view" at the top of your files window and check "hidden items" over on the rhs. Then you may have to exit and reload the window.