Dune II v1.07 English/Italian/Spanish

Wesker

So you don't like what "Teodosio" did, uh? You prefer a more "commercial" replacement. I think it adds some charm and it's more closer to a 1993 circa dub that what could be attempted by simply getting the Dune 2000 speech over, but if you really prefer that then I guess it will be fine. Spanish language could also benefit that way with its own Spanish version of Dune 2000.

I only have the Spanish version of Dune 2000 for both PC and PlayStation and no other language version of this game, sorry.

Believe me when I tell you wouldn't like to understand what it means "Ti hanno fregato" (Scenario lost) or "Bravissimo!" (Scenario won): it's so unprofessional! :| Also "Melange" translates as "Magica" ("Magic" in english) is inappropriate.

However you could send me the spanish .aud files and I'll see what I can do for it. :)

@Nyerguds: discard the first two attachments, they are a funmade work and a messed up release that doesn't work properly in spanish.

The release attached by Wester and my last attachment are the "original & right" releases. ;)

The second Italian translation that was attached. It uses the same exe.

You mean this one?

I... guess? I just checked the exe.

Nope, exactly the same exe, except for the security check hack. Note that what makes a version look "monolingual" is probably just the choices you get in the setup program. I didn't check that for differences.

drnovice posted a fandubbed Italian version which is definitely monolingual (I call this the "Teodosio" version because you can see an additional 1997 "Teodosio" copyright line in the title screen), a variation of v1.07 English/Italian/Spanish which is trilingual but has the Spanish version displayed wrong for some reason, and this v1.07 English/Italian/Spanish which drnovice claims to be similar to the one I posted (therefore, it should be trilingual) except for a added "leeme.txt" which is not part of the game files.

So, which one is it?

It might surprise you then that the Japanese C&C1 on Sega Saturn is completely in English, beside the voice sets and dubbed videos.

I know. That's quite odd and cheap. I suppose many Japanese players would be annoyed at this.

The Japanese voice sets is something you can actually have in the European Sega Saturn version by simply setting the console language to Japanese, though you are missing the Japanese dubbed videos because those are version specific. The European PlayStation version can also have the Japanese voice sets by inputting the "GODZILLA" code in the password section (funny code, LOL). I suppose this is the same for both North American console versions, but I haven't tested them.

But you know, what I mean is having either everything translated or everything dubbed, not half-translations (it's not the case because the Spanish fantranslation translates absolutely everything, and you can add the subbed videos to make the whole deal) and half-dubs (this is truly the case, because you don't have dubbed Commando speech and dubbed Spanish videos, with the first one only requiring a small fandub but the second being a more complex dubbing task to do). The Japanese thing is not comparable because, despite of not having any text translation performed, they have everything dubbed at least, so you won't have a dual language hybrid like what you have with some units dubbed and others not, together with non-dubbed video scenes.

But it's ok, I'm just that way. I like to have polished efforts close to what would be retail releases done by the developer/publisher, and therefore, as the Spanish dub is unfortunately not complete, I prefer to have English speech together with Spanish text translation and subtitled videos since that's something that was completed for sure.

Oh, that's definitely easy to do.

Maybe you'd prefer to have it arranged that way in your download section, rather than with all the .ENG, .FRE, .GER files scattered around. But it's just a tip, you can do as you wish. I can't assure you how this v1.07 English/Italian/Spanish release was arranged in the original floppies, so I don't really know if you are closer to it by having the language files packed or unpacked.

Believe me when I tell you wouldn't like to understand what it means "Ti hanno fregato" (Scenario lost) or "Bravissimo!" (Scenario won): it's so unprofessional! :| Also "Melange" translates as "Magica" ("Magic" in english) is inappropriate.

Really? I'm not aware of these facts because I'm not Italian. I just noticed that the soldier speech sounds very vibrant and energetic, while the narrator speech is definitely some bored guy simply doing the job. I can't guess the specific language details, but by translating what you said I noticed the "Ti hanno fregato" sentences is something like "You have cheated" (LOL) and I can guess what's the "Bravissimo!" phrase easily. Regarding "Melange", that's funny because I noticed the official Italian text translation in the intro deems that as "Preziosa", which if I guess right because it seems very similar to the Spanish "Preciosa", maybe it's not appropiate either to what "Melange" actually is. The Spanish translation doesn't overcomplicate the thing as much by actually keeping "Melange" untranslated.

However you could send me the spanish .aud files and I'll see what I can do for it. :)

Oh, you mean from Spanish Dune 2000? That's easy to do. It's the content of the "GAMESFX" folder, right? I'll do it now and attach it for you.

@Nyerguds: discard the first two attachments, they are a funmade work and a messed up release that doesn't work properly in spanish.

The release attached by Wester and my last attachment are the "original & right" releases. ;)

Yeah, though both of them have the content of the ENGLISH.PAK, FRENCH.PAK, GERMAN.PAK files scattered around as .ENG, .FRE, .GER, isn't it? I don't know if this becase the original floppy release was that way, or because someone got it, decided to unpack the files, and then spread this version over the Internet, so that's why all known v1.07 English/Italian/Spanish versions you can have are arranged that way. Sadly it can't be checked without this version floppies which are very difficult to track for sure.

Really? I'm not aware of these facts because I'm not Italian. I just noticed that the soldier speech sounds very vibrant and energetic, while the narrator speech is definitely some bored guy simply doing the job. I can't guess the specific language details, but by translating what you said I noticed the "Ti hanno fregato" sentences is something like "You have cheated" (LOL) and I can guess what's the "Bravissimo!" phrase easily. Regarding "Melange", that's funny because I noticed the official Italian text translation in the intro deems that as "Preziosa", which if I guess right because it seems very similar to the Spanish "Preciosa", maybe it's not appropiate either to what "Melange" actually is. The Spanish translation doesn't overcomplicate the thing as much by actually keeping "Melange" untranslated.

Yes the units speeches are the only good thing, but I think that they has taken it from another game if not Dune 2000 ita.

The origin of the word "Melange" I suppose regard the French: literally means "mixture", so in italian should be "Mistura, Mescolanza, Miscela".

However I wouldn't translate this terminology: even in the italian translation of Frank Herbert's novel and italian dialogues of the movie by David Lynch, it remains "melange".

And "Verme di Sabbia" should be "Verme delle Sabbie" -> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verme_delle_sabbie

Oh, you mean from Spanish Dune 2000? That's easy to do. It's the content of the "GAMESFX" folder, right? I'll do it now and attach it for you.

Thanks.

Yes the units speeches are the only good thing, but I think that they has taken it from another game if not Dune 2000 ita.

I looked for some gameplay videos of the Italian version of Dune 2000 in YouTube but there's absolutely nothing. There are only the Italian dubbed video scenes and some gameplay videos done by an Italian guy who's just playing the English version.

How come you don't have the Italian version of Dune 2000 yourself? That's odd. Surely you were aware that a Italian version of Dune 2000 existed, right? It mustn't be as rare as the English/Italian/Spanish version of Dune II for sure.

The origin of the word "Melange" I suppose regard the French: literally means "mixture", so in italian should be "Mistura, Mescolanza, Miscela".

However I wouldn't translate this terminology: even in the italian translation of Frank Herbert's novel and italian dialogues of the movie by David Lynch, it remains "melange".

And "Verme di Sabbia" should be "Verme delle Sabbie" -> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verme_delle_sabbie

Both Dune II and Dune 2000 in Spanish keep the "Melange" term untranslated, the full term being "Especia Melange". Not only it's the right thing but it also gives a characteristic name to the thing. The Spanish version of David Lynch's film also goes with "Especia Melange". I can't remember now how it was called in the novel translation but it was probably the same.

If I remember right, "Sandworm" in Spanish is "Gusano de arena" in almost all Dune media (novel, movie, TV series, games, etc) translated to Spanish. They don't go to "Gusano de la arena" like you are (or seem to be) pointing out in Italian with "Verme delle Sabbie" instead of "Verme di Sabbia". I have to check both Dune II and Dune 2000 in Spanish but I think it's definitely mentioned that way.

Thanks.

You are welcome. Attached to this message you can find the full content of the "GAMESFX" folder from the Spanish version of Dune 2000. :)

Keep in mind that the units in Dune 2000 have some faction specific speech lines like "For the Duke" (Atreides), "Por the Baron" (Harkonnen) or "Atreides out/Ordos out/Harkonnen out" that don't fit in Dune II because the units speech are all the same among the different factions. Therefore, those faction specific speech lines shouldn't be used. Do you have enough command of Spanish to know what they are actually saying?

GAMESFX.rar

You mean this one?

drnovice posted a fandubbed Italian version which is definitely monolingual (I call this the "Teodosio" version because you can see an additional 1997 "Teodosio" copyright line in the title screen), a variation of v1.07 English/Italian/Spanish which is trilingual but has the Spanish version displayed wrong for some reason, and this v1.07 English/Italian/Spanish which drnovice claims to be similar to the one I posted (therefore, it should be trilingual) except for a added "leeme.txt" which is not part of the game files.

So, which one is it?

Ehh, you seem to be confusing the stuff I said. "the unofficial pack" I referred to WAS the fan-made Italian translation. I'm saying the exe of the fan-made Italian translation is in fact the original unhacked version of the official 1.07 English/Italian/Spanish release, oddly enough, whereas the pack of the official release you attached here has a copy protection hack in it.

And as I said, the only thing determining if a version is monolingual are the choices you get in the setup program. They just edited the setup. The actual dune2.exe file of that italian fan version is perfectly trilingual.

I know. That's quite odd and cheap. I suppose many Japanese players would be annoyed at this.

It's a technical limitation, though. The C&C fonts system is built as a 256-character map, and as far as I know there are no single-byte Japanese text encodings. The C&C font file format literally doesn't support character sets as large as Japanese.

The Japanese voice sets is something you can actually have in the European Sega Saturn version by simply setting the console language to Japanese, though you are missing the Japanese dubbed videos because those are version specific. The European PlayStation version can also have the Japanese voice sets by inputting the "GODZILLA" code in the password section (funny code, LOL). I suppose this is the same for both North American console versions, but I haven't tested them.

I know. I extracted (recorded, actually) all of these voices from my Sega Saturn version and added them to the PC version. And yeah, I tested it with the Japanese language setting on a US ROM, too. As I said, I collect different language releases of WW games :P

But you know, what I mean is having either everything translated or everything dubbed, not half-translations (it's not the case because the Spanish fantranslation translates absolutely everything, and you can add the subbed videos to make the whole deal) and half-dubs (this is truly the case, because you don't have dubbed Commando speech and dubbed Spanish videos, with the first one only requiring a small fandub but the second being a more complex dubbing task to do). The Japanese thing is not comparable because, despite of not having any text translation performed, they have everything dubbed at least, so you won't have a dual language hybrid like what you have with some units dubbed and others not, together with non-dubbed video scenes.

But it's ok, I'm just that way. I like to have polished efforts close to what would be retail releases done by the developer/publisher, and therefore, as the Spanish dub is unfortunately not complete, I prefer to have English speech together with Spanish text translation and subtitled videos since that's something that was completed for sure.

Well, you can just install the language pack and delete the talk (unit talk) and speech (EVA) mix files.

As for the commando, though, I think I did that by popular request, because they didn't want to miss out on all that Frank Klepacki badassness :P

Maybe you'd prefer to have it arranged that way in your download section, rather than with all the .ENG, .FRE, .GER files scattered around. But it's just a tip, you can do as you wish. I can't assure you how this v1.07 English/Italian/Spanish release was arranged in the original floppies, so I don't really know if you are closer to it by having the language files packed or unpacked.

Not really. My archive is meant for the original states. I'd even have preferred the setup files, in fact.

Ehh, you seem to be confusing the stuff I said. "the unofficial pack" I referred to WAS the fan-made Italian translation. I'm saying the exe of the fan-made Italian translation is in fact the original unhacked version of the official 1.07 English/Italian/Spanish release, oddly enough, whereas the pack of the official release you attached here has a copy protection hack in it.

And as I said, the only thing determining if a version is monolingual are the choices you get in the setup program. They just edited the setup. The actual dune2.exe file of that italian fan version is perfectly trilingual.

Ok, so who he managed to have Italian speech while having Italian text? Did he hack the Italian configuration to enable speech for them (since the official release has speech disabled for both Italian and Spanish), or did he rather "translate" the English configuration? 

Well, you can just install the language pack and delete the talk (unit talk) and speech (EVA) mix files.

As for the commando, though, I think I did that by popular request, because they didn't want to miss out on all that Frank Klepacki badassness :P

And then, who would have been the replacement in case there wasn't this popular request? There's not a proper equivalent in Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun who matches the Commando of Command & Conquer, since GDI have the mutants Ghost Stalker and Umagon and NOD has a cyborg commando.

You would have probably required the commando speech from Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars.

Not really. My archive is meant for the original states. I'd even have preferred the setup files, in fact.

That's the thing. We can't know for sure if this was the original state in the floppies or not.

Unfortunately I noticed that among DUNE 2000 .AUD files there aren't right ones about:

- "Frigate has arrived"

- "Enemy Unit Destroyed"

- Sabouter speeches

- Radar speeches

- "Warning"

- "Missile Approaching"

Are there other similar italian games that have similar speeches?

Here my progress about Dune 2000 .AUD files converted to .VOC files for Dune 2:

Looking good! That seems very convincing to me.

If you are still intending to do the same with Spanish, be sure to use the very same lines from Spanish Dune 2000 because I think they will fit just fine, similarly to Italian.

Unfortunately I noticed that among DUNE 2000 .AUD files there aren't right ones about:

- "Frigate has arrived"

- "Enemy Unit Destroyed"

- Sabouter speeches

- Radar speeches

- "Warning"

- "Missile Approaching"

It's going to be a real issue indeed, because if you manage to get those missing lines from other games, then there's going to be different voices for the mentat saying different things when there should be only one mentat voice according to the faction you are playing.

That's bad, due to this we won't probably be able to have complete Spanish and Italian speech packs reused from Dune 2000. I had even thought about having the intro speech lines being reused from extracted bits from Dune 2000 intro, as the intro script in both Dune II and Dune 2000 is pretty much the same.

Maybe the best possible choice would to simply disable speech in all those lines and having them as text only.

Ok, so who he managed to have Italian speech while having Italian text? Did he hack the Italian configuration to enable speech for them (since the official release has speech disabled for both Italian and Spanish), or did he rather "translate" the English configuration?

He just used the English language, which already has all those features. 

And then, who would have been the replacement in case there wasn't this popular request? There's not a proper equivalent in Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun who matches the Commando of Command & Conquer, since GDI have the mutants Ghost Stalker and Umagon and NOD has a cyborg commando.

You would have probably required the commando speech from Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars.

True, I guess. I don't have that though.

That's the thing. We can't know for sure if this was the original state in the floppies or not.

I'm fairly sure it is, because of the date stamps. Extracted files would have the date of extraction.

Here my progress about Dune 2000 .AUD files converted to .VOC files for Dune 2:

Aww. I was expecting you did the intro as well, from the audio of the intro video of Dune 2000 :(

- "Frigate has arrived"

- "Enemy Unit Destroyed"

- Sabouter speeches

- Radar speeches

- "Warning"

- "Missile Approaching"

Give me ALL the mentat AUD files you can find in that Italian Dune 2000, plus Italian translations of these strings, and I can see what I can put together by copying and pasting vowels together. I've done that kind of stuff before ;)

He just used the English language, which already has all those features.

I knew it.

In fact, until now I thoght German and French both had voiced intro speech, but it seems not! These languages only have voiced mentat/units speech and then again, only one single person is doing all the speaking for all mentats and units.

So this "Teodosio" version goes a little further than German and French by having a voiced intro speech, although it still goes with having all mentats voiced by a single person (the units are voiced by a different person).

True, I guess. I don't have that though.

Nah, don't worry. I'm not disregarding your work at all (because I assume you did it, given what you said about extracting some bits from FMVs for additional EVA speech), it's just that I'm not fond of having EVA/units speaking Spanish and then again the FMVs speaking English with subs, and since we can't have dubbed FMVs easily...

But I'm sure the Spanish speech pack is useful for many people. :)

I'm fairly sure it is, because of the date stamps. Extracted files would have the date of extraction.

Currently I'm looking for Spanish language versions of Westwood games which were released in floppies like The Legend of Kyrandia, Dune II, The Hand of Fate and Lands of Lore. Right now I have both The Legend of Kyrandia and Lands of Lore tracked, I hope I can also get Dune II and see if it is that way or not.

Maybe they didn't bother to repack the files when they translated them?

Aww. I was expecting you did the intro as well, from the audio of the intro video of Dune 2000 :(

Yeah, I told him already. Are you able to extract the speech bits without background music/sfx?

Give me ALL the mentat AUD files you can find in that Italian Dune 2000, plus Italian translations of these strings, and I can see what I can put together by copying and pasting vowels together. I've done that kind of stuff before ;)

You can also do the same with Spanish if you wish. Attached here you can find the full GAMESFX folder from Spanish Dune 2000.

Here the attachment about Dune 2000 .AUD files:

GAMESFX_ita.rar

I tried to make some "frankenstein cut&paste" but with no good results.

It needs to exctract G_INT1_I.VQA video file, the issue is to remove sfx from the speeches.

I'm looking for a video maker pro, anyone knows ones?

By the way, I completely rewrite Mentat & Game TEXTs regard the translations of French & Italian language, fixing several typos and too literal translations that made no sense. Moreover I added the extra infos for Structures & Units into Mentat explanations.

Next step will be about English and Spanish languages, in the end the German! :wacko: Anybody knows this "hostile" language? :P

Nah, don't worry. I'm not disregarding your work at all (because I assume you did it, given what you said about extracting some bits from FMVs for additional EVA speech), it's just that I'm not fond of having EVA/units speaking Spanish and then again the FMVs speaking English with subs, and since we can't have dubbed FMVs easily...

But I'm sure the Spanish speech pack is useful for many people. :)

Actually, I didn't make it. I don't know Spanish. Zenix, the webmaster of the leading Spanish C&C community site, translated everything (in a single day :O).

But to make these voice clips, I didn't need to understand Spanish. I just needed to know how to pronounce written Spanish, and that's really not too hard :)

(and there were no FMV bits involved. TS has EVA voice briefings of the mission description which are played on the mission selection map. That's what I used.)

Maybe they didn't bother to repack the files when they translated them?

That's perfectly possible.

Yeah, I told him already. Are you able to extract the speech bits without background music/sfx?

Hmm, good point. I didn't think about that. Apparently there are techniques for doing that, but I really have no idea how.

You can also do the same with Spanish if you wish. Attached here you can find the full GAMESFX folder from Spanish Dune 2000.

I'll take a look :)

By the way, I completely rewrite Mentat & Game TEXTs regard the translations of French & Italian language, fixing several typos and too literal translations that made no sense. Moreover I added the extra infos for Structures & Units into Mentat explanations.

Next step will be about English and Spanish languages, in the end the German! :wacko: Anybody knows this "hostile" language? :P

German, you mean? I know it a bit... had it at school.

Hey, just a random idea here (inspired by Nyer's work in the field of synthesized speech ;)): since there has never been any official voice-over for Spanish and Italian, wouldn't it be an idea to use speech synthesis software to do those voice-overs? Most of the programmes that produce results that sound authentic enough are commercial though, but still as an idea I think it could be worth a try.

I know that to use voice-overs from later Westwood games is kind of more original, but it's also a bit anachronistic because you use game data that was published after he game you're localizing.

Here's some potentially useful links:

Comparison of speech synthesizers

Category:Free speech synthesis software

Hmm, good point. I didn't think about that. Apparently there are techniques for doing that, but I really have no idea how.

It seems that it isn't possible to separate the voice completely from the rest of the sound, being "cooked" in frequencies that also involve other sound effects.

By Audacity there are some tutorials about how remove voice from the songs, it simply reduces the frequencies regard the voice, but doing so they are also reduced other sounds on same frequencies.

• 8 years later...