Dune 2000: Rise of the Mercenaries

Gruntlord6

A few months ago I announced this project, and it generated quite a bit of interest. Sadly, at the time it was technically impossible to accomplish, and with no assistance I was forced to shelve the project. Fast forward to today, where I am pleased to announce there has been a small amount of progress in regards to the idea. Although it has been scaled down considerably, I am about 75% done the creation of the mod. Since the mod is much smaller then originally planned, I will not go into a large amount of detail on the specifics of the mod.

So what WILL I tell you? I am glad to tell you a few things about what is planned and a rough idea of when it will be available.

First off, even in its new smaller scale, it will be a great deal more complex then anything currently present on the forum or D2K+. I have developed several new techniques that will hopefully become a standard in larger scale mod projects, and some of them should become standard practice for all mods. It will be a fully playable mini campaign of 3 missions, and will be fleshed out and polished as much as possible, and should be reflective about the amount of effort put into the project.

Which brings me to the release date. I will not be committing to a hard release date. I am doing this for a number of reasons, mainly because its a large project that will depend on numerous other things. I am however, aiming to release a playable demonstration to tease you guys soon. The mod will be included with the next version of Dune 2000: Gruntmods Edition, and after a 1 month period it will be available as a package for other players on D2k+.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask, although I am not going to give too much away until the demo.

• Upvote 3

A few months ago I announced this project, and it generated quite a bit of interest. Sadly, at the time it was technically impossible to accomplish, and with no assistance I was forced to shelve the project. Fast forward to today, where I am pleased to announce there has been a small amount of progress in regards to the idea. Although it has been scaled down considerably, I am about 60% done the creation of the mod. Since the mod is much smaller then originally planned, I will not go into a large amount of detail on the specifics of the mod.

So what WILL I tell you? I am glad to tell you a few things about what is planned and a rough idea of when it will be available.

First off, even in its new smaller scale, it will be a great deal more complex then anything currently present on the forum or D2K+. I have developed several new techniques that will hopefully become a standard in larger scale mod projects, and some of them should become standard practice for all mods. It will be a fully playable mini campaign of 3 missions, and will be fleshed out and polished as much as possible, and should be reflective about the amount of effort put into the project.

Which brings me to the release date. I will not be committing to a hard release date. I am doing this for a number of reasons, mainly because its a large project that will depend on numerous other things. I am however, aiming to release a playable demonstration to tease you guys soon. The mod will be included with the next version of Dune 2000: Gruntmods Edition, and after a 1 month period it will be available as a package for other players on D2k+.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask, although I am not going to give too much away until the demo.

Actually your old post pushed me to create my mod Emperor Chronicles...

So am also waiting for your mod also..

Hope it would be gud as it was planned.. 

:laugh:  8)

Glad to see you decided to keep working on it. I saw some of those "new methods" that he's talking about and they look and work great ;) But i wont give more details if he wants to keep the surprise, anyway probably he has updated them since i last saw them.

• Upvote 2

Glad to see you decided to keep working on it. I saw some of those "new methods" that he's talking about and they look and work great ;) But i wont give more details if he wants to keep the surprise, anyway probably he has updated them since i last saw them.

really??

great..

:)

Theres a larger project I want to release alongside the mod once they are both completed. The mod is currently about 75% done, but I haven't had the time to actively work on it lately. Rest assured, I have no plans to give up now :p

• Upvote 4

Something that came up in the mod, and something that will take community cooperation to fix, is that string entries from one mod will ruin entries in another, as the UIB file will be entirely replaced. Although at the moment there is no way to merge the files, I would like all mod developers to consider this in the future, and make new string table entries that do not overlap with existing mods. I will likely compile a list of string file entries from all the mods on D2K+ and ask developers to update their respective mods to reflect the new index numbers as a temporary fix. Mod compatibility will be a huge priority for this project.

• Upvote 2

With all this file replacement in dozens of mods we need a loader patch to treat them all and avoid the mess (much like the bat(ch) launcher I was using years ago but of course more advanced and with many more capabilities.)

If we had someone to program it I would be willing to help.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to provide an update, I am not sure how but an important file became corrupt. I have an older copy but that will take work to get to the previous state, so I am going to check my backups to see if it is damaged on them. If it was properly backed up, you can expect a demo this week, otherwise I will have to work on restoring it again.

hey have you modded the whole game??

cause I have a few questions..

also can you give a sneak preview of the game so tht u can rise the community hopes fr ur mod..

Like I said, I will release a demo. It looks like it will have to wait until September for me to redo the work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure why not, not everyone knows the difficulty selection trick so such a button would help.

Looks like I was over complicating things. I did verify that you can't do any changes to the main menu design or else it decides to not work. I did a little menu magic and it will now prompt you to select a difficulty when you pick the Mission Select option in the menu, just like it does for campaign. I will bundle this change into the mod release patch.

• Upvote 2

Looks like I was over complicating things. I did verify that you can't do any changes to the main menu design or else it decides to not work. I did a little menu magic and it will now prompt you to select a difficulty when you pick the Mission Select option in the menu, just like it does for campaign. I will bundle this change into the mod release patch.

Did this Already.. But cool..