Star Trek Into Darkness

Edric O

Did anyone else watch this latest movie in the "rebooted" Star Trek franchise by J.J. Abrams? We had a topic about the previous Abrams Star Trek movie when it came out, so I thought we might want to continue the discussion... I say "continue" because this movie was almost exactly the same as that one. Lots of mindless sci-fi action with a reference to the Star Trek universe once every 15 minutes or so.

Now don't get me wrong, the movie was fun. It was exciting, visually impressive, and fast-paced. But it wasn't Star Trek... in fact it departed even more from Star Trek than the previous Abrams movie (a feat that I never imagined would be possible).

Where do I even start? The most blatant and infuriating middle finger to the Star Trek universe came in the way the Klingons were treated. For one thing, Qo'noS is apparently somewhere around Alpha Centauri, based on the way Federation ships seem to be able to zip around between it and Earth in a matter of hours. Worse, the great and powerful Klingon Empire apparently consists of a few dozen guys in atmospheric fighter jets. We don't get to see any Klingon starships at all! No Klingon ships arrive to do anything about a Federation vessel just sitting around in their territory, nor do they send any warning or message, not even when a massive state-of-the-art Federation warship violates their territory. And apparently any old shuttle can just fly into the Klingon home system, descend almost all the way down to the surface of Qo'noS, and not encounter any kind of resistance or law enforcement at all until they've nearly landed! The Klingons look more like a pre-warp culture than the greatest rivals of the Federation.

But, when you think about it, the Federation itself isn't treated much better. The climax of the movie literally consists of two Federation ships fighting each other within visual range of Earth, with no other Federation starship or authority doing anything to intervene, or even so much as Starfleet sending a message to ask what the hell is going on. Both ships eventually tumble through the Earth's atmosphere, again with no sign of anyone else noticing this or trying to intervene. Doesn't Starfleet have, you know, a FLEET? Or even just sensors that can detect a full-blown space battle right on their doorstep? Apparently Earth is just as completely undefended and blind as Qo'noS.

I think I'll stop there for now, but you can see why I have serious objections to the direction the Star Trek franchise is taking these days...

• Upvote 1

Meanwhile, I have seen the movie.

Have to say, lots of special effects. But indeed almost no star trek feeling to it.

Sometimes I even had the feeling that it could fit in star wars instead :D.