Well, I thought I am the only one..

jamie

Night should be more illuminated, otherwise you may spoil the vision.

Generally, night - bad idea for dune.

we should have 1024 x 1024 maps

No matter how cool the engine - this will not pull. Or we all must have high-end computers.

256 x 256 - good variant to expand an existing version, without unit\buildings limits.

Even such small maps is difficult to create a block by block.

And yes, I cherish hopes about this development... good work :happy: .

P.S: Finally, I saw a serious developer here. This man is able to rewrite 2k.

This looks very nice, but no updates for a month, I feel very long way ahead. Btw, original dune2k suffered from bad network code in the first place, more players in game creates a lot of problems even with good connection.

• Upvote 1

Hello guys! Sorry for silence for a month.
After I've uploaded that early gameplay video, I lost my job. (Looks like my boss disliked it, but there no dislike on youtube though) lol. 
So this month I was in search. Just when I found new job, I also found this video:

It's inspired me so fu*king high. Wanna be developer of that project. Currently trying to contact the author.
So I have no idea what will be next. Not sure about this dune project though.

Night should be more illuminated, otherwise you may spoil the vision.

Yeah, of course, lights should be added.

PS. Really pleased to see you in this topic, Shaokhan - I love your vids.

Sorrowfully and unexpectedly...  :|

Well I can't say that it's true. Because any Dune-related development is like walking on the knife's edge (also known as copyright).

In case of Dune2000, there are: - many patches and fixes to the game; - amazing set of tools by mvi; - open source remake called OpenRA;

What's the point of the old game remastering? In first post I wrote that there will be `surprise` after release. The surprise is 3D remake of the Dune2000. I've found a highly skilled artist with whom we've created a basis for future game develompent:

post-19735-0-63428600-1367855651_thumb.ppost-19735-0-85454300-1367855655_thumb.ppost-19735-0-23021100-1367855657_thumb.p

At some point we had some misunderstandings in how team work should look like. Then artist started to ignore my messages. He didn't answered on dozens my messages, and then suddenly he sent me a message after 3 months of silence. I am not sure that we can create 3D game together, because we're having serious problems in communcation - looks like we're from different planets. And just dune remaster isn't interesting for me. Even if I will continue development I will add many new things to game, it never will be Dune2000. 

So the game in trailer above is interested because of art, and because it contains an idea inside of it. It's really new, fresh, and awesome.

I am really skilled programmer (as written above), but I am not sure that I should spend my time on old-game-delving instead of creating something new.

post-19735-0-17647000-1367856336_thumb.g

What's the point of the old game remastering? In first post I wrote that there will be `surprise` after release. The surprise is 3D remake of the Dune2000.

I am really skilled programmer (as written above), but I am not sure that I should spend my time on old-game-delving instead of creating something new.

Now I'm going to say what usually people say when someone dies. This is something like "his body is dead, but what the heritage he left will always remain". So is possible to say about Dune 2000. It's dead and abandoned by original developers, but it still remains in hearts of thousands of people. Many of them still play it every day and...enjoy it!

Remaking this game means giving a new birth to something really great! That may be the same old game, but with improved graphics, AI and some features. Or it may come out into a completely remastered game with new features added based on original Dune novel. Anyway, lots if fans around the world will be made really happy!

I wish I could help somehow, but I do not have any experience in programming. And coming across this forum surprised me a lot. Now I know that any game support is still alive.

I know how working with someone else is. I got some guy who said he can do 3D modeling and texturing and after a few weeks he showed me some pen sketches. Well, you could keep going with this project at your own pace. No reason to scrap it, I mean. 

Just a critique on the models there: ther're too cartoonish (for my taste), in the sense that being a desert environment you'd expect some desert camouflage or at least some blending colors. Not to mention black heats up so fast in the desert the crews would be boiled alive :)

The models look great though.

Anyway, why not a RPG based on either Diablo 2 or WarCraft III / StarCraft II ? Or some other engine. I think Dune is oversaturated with strategy, especially non-canon. It's true it has an awesome feeling (like Tiberian Sun had for me also) but a bit of diversification won't hurt :)

So, my advice would be not to quit it, but work on it as you see fit. Good luck!

Glad to hear you like my videos Jamie, but kind of disappointing you gave this up so early. Although it was kind of expected by me to be honest, people don't stick to projects these days as it is too many things to do. I'm surprised you don't want to remaster dune. It would be a great start once you get the game working and then can add features, balance the game and add some more strategic stuff. If you are skilled programmer, it should not be problem for you to do it, as when you do something you know how to do, it is usually not time consuming. I wished someone would do that ever since ww got into problems and stopped caring about their games.

Also it is not like one man show, you have the graphics and everything from original dune, it just really needs the game mechanics to be redone. As for 3D, there was such attempt with Emperor BFD, and it didn't quite work out, I played the campaign and then never installed it again, it did not have great sales neither, I'd really stick to 2D :) And as far as the copyright goes, perhaps you could ask EA to give you permission for this? They already made C&C free and I doubt they are making any money from Dune2k, also this would be a free project. You can give it a thought. I'm sure many people would appreciate this. With orig. dune we don't have source code, so we cannot do anything, but if you make the basic programming from scratch, I'm sure some fellas here could go on with it if you decide you have enough. And of course you could play with us online as well if you like to.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

~ up ~

I'm back. Failed with that platformer project :(

Also I've lost everything I had about this project. So starting from scratch.

You might want to upload your work in progress source code so we could help each other.

no, thanks. I'm not a fan of open source.

~ up ~

I'm back. Failed with that platformer project :(

Also I've lost everything I had about this project. So starting from scratch.

Well even i had lost my modding files but luckily i had an old copy saved in my cousin's PC..

If you need any help please do ask anyone in this forum..

We'll be glad to help you out..