Dune Legacy 0.96.3

bluehappybyte

It took longer than expected but finally a new version of Dune Legacy is released.

Main changes:

• Full-featured map editor with support of Dune2-compatible maps as well as the extended map format
  • Integration of OpenSuperDune (a replacement to the original SuperDune)
  • Unit/Structure stats and the techtree is read from a config file
  • Used scaler (Nearest Neighbor or Scale2x) is configurable (default = Scale2x)
  • Game completely localizable (except helping menu)
  • Harvesters now have a return command
  • Trying to place a structure on a tile which is already occupied by (your own) units orders them to move away
  • Add support for multiple different AI implementations
  • Improved AI: Base is now built up faster and more compact
  • New single and multiplayer maps
Further changes:
  • Determine username automatically upon first start up
  • Pressing an assigned number twice centers the screen on the selected units
  • Destroyed units might spawn a soldier (Probability depends on the type of unit)
  • Quad, Trike and Infantry units have a bumpy moving style when moving over rocks, mountains and thick spice
  • Idling units randomly turn around
  • Bullets now have an explosion animation when hitting
  • Spice blooms have now their own animation
  • Full Harvesters move 40% slower than empty ones
  • Units are defined badly damaged (smoke, only one weapon) if < 50% max. health (instead of 30%)
  • Sardaukar Troopers and Fremen Troopers are no unit types on its own anymore (just normal Troopers)
  • Deviation chance is now house specific
  • Starport prices are now normal distributed (instead of uniform)
  • Limiting number of palaces to one is now optional (default = off)
  • As in Dune II killed sandworms no longer respawn; old behavior is now an option (default = off)
  • New game option: Sandworms drop spice when killed (default = off)
  • Changes to game speed: Globally configurable; saved to and loaded from savegame; configurable before start of a multiplayer game
  • Update enet to version 1.3.6
  • Code was refactored in order to have a more consistent style
  • Bugfix: Sand damage was using the wrong graphics
  • Bugfix: Make it possible to order any type of unit from the starport if specified in the CHOAM section
  • Bugfix: Build with SDL 1.2.14 on Mac OS X for Lion compatibility
  • Bugfix: Allow special units to be delivered by reinforcements
  • Bugfix: Correct order of houses is Harkonnen, Atreides, Ordos, Fremen, Sardaukar, Mercenary as in the color palette
  • Bugfix: Minimap was not updated correctly when playing with fog-of-war enabled
  • Bugfix: Stopping a unit that was awaiting pickup could "freeze" the carryall
  • Bugfix: It was possible to exceed the spice storage limit (it's still possible to circumvent the limit but it's more complex)
  • Bugfix: Harvester returns after the last tile of spice on the map is cleared
  • Bugfix: Playing xmi music on Windows was broken
  • Bugfix: Various fixes to the correct handling of music and sfx volume changes
Known issues:
  • Multiplayer games still have a rare chance of getting out of sync
Get it from the Dune Legacy Website. I'm curious to see what maps you create. hf
  • Upvote 3

Nice progress! I see you're implementing more stuff from the OpenDUNE code discoveries (like the full Harvester slowdown feature), right?
Most of the changes are either things reported here in the forum (Thanks!) or are discovered with tests I do with the original game. The new map editor made it really easy to quickly put up a map, copy it into the Dune II folder and test things in a "controlled environment".

BTW, have you considered implementing the unused "Special" blooms? (a fixed version of 'em, that is)
They are implemented at least since Dune Legacy 0.96.2 as random chance to get/reveal money, a trike, enemy trike or 3 enemy soldiers. Are you interested in using them in the Dune 2 eXtended Project?
  • Upvote 1

They are implemented at least since Dune Legacy 0.96.2 as random chance to get/reveal money, a trike, enemy trike or 3 enemy soldiers.
Oh, that's nice :)
Are you interested in using them in the Dune 2 eXtended Project?
You mean you know how to hack the original DOS EXE to get them working properly? I'm not 100% sure yet.

It's very obvious that the special blooms that work as crates in C&C games (or Dune 2000 for that matter) could be great in missions with limited resources and/or no spice harvesting capability for the player, but the original game allows for very limited options in advanced mission design, even if the special blooms really worked as intended (i.e. gave the player more units and did not spawn useless aircraft that isn't owned by anyone).

In Dune Legacy, on the other hand, I'm sure that this would work fine, especially if it were possible for the mission designer to define what kind of content should a special bloom have in each instance (e.g. if you want to give the player a money boost or extra units in a limited resources mission).

• 1 month later...

This is the best version for multiplayer so far. Keep up the good work! I´ve posted some requests on the Feature Request tracker.

I think palaces should be able to use their special ability as soon as it´s built, since it´s a 1000k credits + time investment and it was like this in the original.

Also, I think having 5 infantry stay in the same tile actually makes them weaker because they all take damage when hit.

The problem with the special blooms, in my opinion, is that they're recognizable. If you know the graphics, you see they're different.

The point of the special blooms, according to the manual, was that if you shot a special bloom you'd lose any possible bonus, while moving onto a spice field bloom would destroy the unit. If you can recognize the graphics, however, you always know which ones to shoot and which ones to drive onto.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I export a map from the map editor? I created a map and it didn´t create any files on the maps folder.

There are actually two places where maps are stored. One is for the maps that are shipped together with Dune 2. This directory may be (depending on your operating system) read-only. Thus custom maps are saved at a different location. Dune Legacy uses for these custom maps the directory where also the configuration is stored which also depends on the system you are using. Have a look at http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/dunelegacy/index.php?title=FAQ:

~/.config/dunelegacy (on Linux)

~/Library/Application Support/Dune Legacy (on Mac OS X)

C:\Documents and Settings\<YourName>\Application Data\dunelegacy\ (on Windows)

There you will find subfolders for the maps.

Hope this helps

Cool, thanks! Managed to find the file on  C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\dunelegacy    (windows 7).

Is there a place where people are uploading their custom-made maps? I´d like to upload the map I made.

I really like this editor; simple and straightforward. Some features I´d like to request:

- copy/ cut/ paste functions

- losing condition for a team: lose all structures, not including rocket turrets or turrets

- sandworms being spawned, instead of being brought by carryall (and random behavior and/ or random number of units it eats before disappearing)

Cool, thanks! Managed to find the file on  C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\dunelegacy    (windows 7).

Is there a place where people are uploading their custom-made maps? I´d like to upload the map I made.

Maybe you can just attach it to a forum post. Currently there is no central map repository where user can upload maps but I can add your map to http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/dunelegacy/index.php?title=Maps.

I really like this editor; simple and straightforward. Some features I´d like to request:

- copy/ cut/ paste functions

- losing condition for a team: lose all structures, not including rocket turrets or turrets

- sandworms being spawned, instead of being brought by carryall (and random behavior and/ or random number of units it eats before disappearing)

Copy/Paste: What shall be copied? Just the terrain or also building/units? I think this feature would result in more and more further feature requests: Not only rectangular selections, rotating selections, changing houses, ... Not sure that it would be easily managable for (new) map creators at the end because of the many features. Is it really that useful? For what use case would you have used it?

Losing conditions: That's definately needed. Current win/lose conditions are based on what is available in Dune II. But an extension to the map format might make a wide variety of conditions possible. e.g. the objective of a mission could be to destroy a certain building.

Sandworms being spawned: Not sure what you mean. Do you think of using sandworms as reinforcements that are just spawned? How is it in Dune II? If they are brought there by carryall I wouldn't change that. If they just spawn I would consider this as a bug in Dune Legacy. Top priority is to behave similar to the original. But that doesn't mean we could provide this as an extra feature/extension, e.g. by supporting triggers with varios conditions and varios actions

Sandworms with a random number of units eaten before disappearing: This might be an interesting option to add.

Sandworms being spawned: Not sure what you mean. Do you think of using sandworms as reinforcements that are just spawned? How is it in Dune II? If they are brought there by carryall I wouldn't change that. If they just spawn I would consider this as a bug in Dune Legacy. Top priority is to behave similar to the original. But that doesn't mean we could provide this as an extra feature/extension, e.g. by supporting triggers with varios conditions and varios actions

Ok, it´s really not a priority, since it´s working fine for gameplay (since the sandworms are neutral).

Copy/Paste: What shall be copied? Just the terrain or also building/units? I think this feature would result in more and more further feature requests: Not only rectangular selections, rotating selections, changing houses, ... Not sure that it would be easily managable for (new) map creators at the end because of the many features. Is it really that useful? For what use case would you have used it?

I agree that it´s not a priority here. I´d basically use it to copy small rectangular parts of the map, e.g. concrete, to paste it somewhere in order to make the starting point for players similar (which can´t be achieved through mirror modes alone, e.g. a map for 3 or 5 players).

I´m having trouble uploading the file. Tell me an email to send it to.

What are the priorities of the project at the moment?

I´m having trouble uploading the file. Tell me an email to send it to.

I never tried the upload of maps in this forum but I thought it is possible. Anyway I sent you a private msg with my mail adress.

What are the priorities of the project at the moment?

I think one major next point is further improving the AI. Another point is porting to SDL2. But the project is very open for developers to join and develop other features. So if you wanna join... There is not just coding but also mapping, modding or taking care of the website.

I never tried the upload of maps in this forum but I thought it is possible. Anyway I sent you a private msg with my mail adress.

There's a limited number of file formats that can be in a post attachment. ZIp archives are one of them, but I think RAR or 7z aren't.

I think one major next point is further improving the AI. Another point is porting to SDL2. But the project is very open for developers to join and develop other features. So if you wanna join... There is not just coding but also mapping, modding or taking care of the website.

SDL2 = Simple DirectMedia Layer 2.0?

By "mapping" you mean "creating maps" or a type of programming?

How does one "take care of the website"?

Despite being "very open", I think the project is not well known by the public or developers. Or perhaps not many people are interested (which would be sad).

I´m asking these questions (and helping by testing the game and/ or making maps) because I´m looking forward to this game becoming a popular multiplayer game on the internet. I´m very excited about this project, and I think the game as of now is fine, just requiring some more polishing on the gameplay. Graphics wise I think it´s fine, unless some artist is willing to create new models and/or import them from Dune 2000 and/or Emperor.

SDL2 = Simple DirectMedia Layer 2.0?

Yes. Currently Dune Legacy is using the 8-bit mode of SDL. Thus first a switch to 32-bit colors is necessary.

By "mapping" you mean "creating maps" or a type of programming?

Creating maps. The number of available maps is currently very limited. I hope to get people interested in creating maps and extending http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/dunelegacy/index.php?title=Maps

BTW: I tested your map yesterday and really enjoyed it. It was interesting to have a map with an uneven number of players as most other maps are symmetric. Just one remark: Only Player 1 gets sandworms every 4 minutes, but other players are left out. Nevertheless I uploaded your map to the above mentioned map section.

How does one "take care of the website"?

Currently there is only the sourceforge page and a wiki as a least effort approach. But if someone would take care of the website we could have a map database, a forum, etc. Problem is not just setting things up but also updating them (e.g. security bugfixes) and moderating them (e.g. removing spam).

Despite being "very open", I think the project is not well known by the public or developers. Or perhaps not many people are interested (which would be sad).

I´m asking these questions (and helping by testing the game and/ or making maps) because I´m looking forward to this game becoming a popular multiplayer game on the internet. I´m very excited about this project, and I think the game as of now is fine, just requiring some more polishing on the gameplay. Graphics wise I think it´s fine, unless some artist is willing to create new models and/or import them from Dune 2000 and/or Emperor.

Definitely and I'm looking forward in getting your help (e.g. further maps?). Polishing up things is needed and planned to happen in the future. Just file bugs in case you notice something even though I'm sometimes too busy with other things to respond to them timely.

Only Player 1 gets sandworms every 4 minutes, but other players are left out. 

The sandworms that appear (by carryall) every 4 minutes are neutral. They even attack the units from player 1. They´re meant to work as a random factor in the map, like "something else the players need to be aware of if they want to succeed". That´s the best solution I could find to have them appear randomly (the other option was including house Fremen, but that would be confusing and if, by accident, the player is randomed as Fremen, he would auto-lose the map). Also, if anyone plays house Fremen, he´s not going to be allied with the sandworms; they still attack house Fremen´s units.

(Now, if only the sandworms would have a random behavior as well; e.g. not just standing where they spawned, but moving from there, and eating a random number of units before disappearing...)

Despite finding the directory where the saved files and maps are kept, I still haven´t been able to find the .cfg file with unit and building stats and tech tree (not even on the game directory). Any idea where it could be? I´m using windows 7 64bit, by the way.

One thing that bothers me about polishing the game for multiplayer is how different it could become, compared to the original game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...