Artists / Dune fanatics needed

riper

As I recently announced here, we are working on a Dune conversion of our MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). However, were not really ultimate Dune fans, so we need people to help us do one of the following:

1. Create a 3d model of a Dune character (preferably in Poser)

2. Create 2d graphics for dune

3. Give us a detailed description of how units and the world should look like.

You can reply here, but chances are i forget to check on this forum, so please email anything you can do to Riper8@hotmail.com. Give it an understandable subject, we are getting too much spam already so it might get deleted by accident. Any help is appreciated. No payment, just a place in the credits.

Riper

There are 2 very distinct models upon which a dune game can be based->

----------

The original novel by F Herbert. It is a very old book but it has similar apeal to Tolkien's work. Many here would give you alot of support should you choose to base your RPG on this model.

----------

The Westwood game version. It might not be ideal for RPG purposes since it works fairly good for RTS. i would be very happy to see this model used because it includes the Ordos. Like any other Atreides on this board will tell you -> Ordos are a reliable element in creating a compelling plot...

Well the idea is not to stick to the novels or Westwood. The basic sides will be good and evil, Artreides and Harkonnen, but there will be a neutral Mercenary village for the Ordos. But im not here to explain im here to recruit.

Riper

Its not a strategy game where 3 sides blast the crap out of each other. Its an RPG set in Duniverse. Nothing like, click on tank, click on enemy tank, enemy tank blows up, click on next tank. You have 1 character only that you can develop. And Ordos are my favourite so they will be in.

Riper

Ahh -> there you go, Ordos.

i have to admit you are right in assuming my ignorance of how an RPG is made. i am however currently polishing up my CAD skills for my new job and i could be of assistance with the models. You can reach me on falconius@mighty.co.za

About the good vs evil theme -> like i said, i'm not too aware of how RPG works BUT (and i'll be flamed by other Atreides for this) why are the Harks always portrayed as evil. They are obviously alot like the Spartans (with us being like the Athenians). They weren't bad people, it is just that their entire society revolved around warfare. There is realy alot of coincidental similarities there. One cannot help but wonder if these ancient Greek city states was part of the creative inspiration behind Dune? ;)

On a side note -> i'd compare the Ordos to the ancient Cretans. Exeptional archers (snipers) and renowned for their untrustworthyness and skill at deception... ;D

Harkonnen are not considered 'evil'. Like in all rpg's, there will be pks, playerkillers. These are then harkonnen, trying to wreak havoc among those that are 'good'. I know good vs evil sounds flat, but how would you call it? Good vs.  different society??

Riper

• 2 weeks later...